Nominations - Greatest Panthers Props never to play in a Grand Final

So many to choose from. Will have to check out their qualifications to make sure, but will start with Matt Adamson & Frank Puletua.

Forwards (Not played a Grand Final and >20 matches)

Player Apperances
Carl MacNamara 113
Sam McKendry 99
Tim Sheens 96
Tim Grant 82
Matt Goodwin 78
Reagan Campbell-Gillard 70
Brad Waugh 63
Frank Puletua 55
Terry Geary 40
Nigel Plum 36
Lew Zivanovic 35
Ross Cale 34
Steve Waddell 26
Phil Adamson 24
Jody Gall 20
David Hall 20

Forwards (Ineligible. Played in a Grand Final)

Player Apperances Reason Ineligible
Joel Clinton 121 Penrith (2003)
Darryl Brohman 80 Canterbury (1984)
Geoff Gerard 80 Parramatta (1976, 1977) Manly (1982, 1883)
James Tamou 80 Penrith (2020)
Petero Civoniceva 74 Brisbane (1998, 2006)
Paul Clarke 74 Penrith (1990, 1991)
Martin Lang 64 Penrith (2003)
Craig Greenhill 59 Cronulla (1997)
James Fisher-Harris 56 Penrith (2020, 2021)
Barry Walker 47 Penrith (1990, 1991)
Peter Kelly 40 Centerbury (1984, 1985, 1986)
Moses Leota 37 Penrith (2020, 2021)
Tony Puletua 35 Penrith (2003)
Ben Ross 35 Penrith (2003)
Robert O’Reilly 30 Parramatta (1981)
Paul Dunn 29 Penrith (1991) Canterbury (1986, 1988)
Joe Vitanza 26 Penrith (1990)
Brent Kite 24 Manly (2007, 2008, 2011, 2013)
John Cartwright 21 Penrith (1990, 1991)

My god is that a hard list to pick from… it’s going to be hard to just have 3 votes.

3 Likes

I nominate Nigel Plum. He took no prisoners.

4 Likes

just a few to consider from the early days:

Bobby Boland (44 games) 68-70 - like Fagan his best years were with the tigers before he came to us
Brucey Ward (65 games) 70-79 - tough & with some ball skills - was a crowd fav with his balding blond hair

I see he is listed, but just wanted to add a bit - Terry “Dollar” Geary (95 games) 69-76 - tough as an ironbark tree

Looking at the records reminded me of just how hard we did it early on. Boland joined us for the 68 season & is player #34, so we used a lot of bodies in that first season!

3 Likes

There was a story about Terry Geary, that he’d been with the club a few years & wasn’t going to have his contract renewed. Then, the coach & some Penrith officials went to the U.S. on a fact-finding trip to catch up with the latest developments. They found that U.S. football teams did stats & crunched numbers on every player’s performance. So they gave the U.S. statisticians the data they had & Geary turned out to be one of the club’s most valuable players & the Yanks said we’d be mad to let him go.

Upshot: Geary got a new contract.

Agree that is one tough list to choose from, but my first impulse was to go with Terry Geary & Nigel Plum. NOBODY would get over the top of that Front Row!!

Bugger that, if I came up against those two, I’d run - in the opposite direction!!

4 Likes

I got my list down to four.

Nigel Plum
Tim Grant
Frank Puletua
Sam McKendry

Hard to cut one of those.

1 Like

I’m going to have to do some deep thinking to narrow this list down;

F. Pulatua
T. Grant
T. Geary
N. Plum
B. Waugh
S. Waddell
S. McEndry

I should probably (albeit with hesitation) mention Bob O’Reilly is missing from the list, but I won’t be nominating him.

yes Bear O’Reilly’s best work was definitely done elsewhere

1 Like

Damn, just re-read the list and realized I had left Goodwin out.

This is getting even harder to narrow down to three.

I do know I will have to acknowledge those I am picking with my heart (such as Waddell), rather than my head.

Think I’m going to use the method of “who can’t I believe never won a grand final?”

Plum is defiant number one on that list!

1 Like

Agree with Plum #1, still no idea who the other 2 will be.

I would imagine two of these guys will be on the bench as well, if it makes picking any easier.

2 Likes

Big Sam is my number 1 followed by Matt Goodwin.

Some of my best earliest memories at Penny Park are of him, gave his all every week. Tough as nails too

Plenty fit 3rd, but probs ol Nigel, love a big hit in defense !

Yep, Matty will be in my top 2 at least.

2 Likes
A Recycled Pixel website.
DISCLAIMER

The opinions expressed on Panther Pride are not necessarilly those of the sites owners.
Panther Pirde or Recycled Pixel accept no responsibility for articles presented, their ownership or implications of ownership.
Panther Pride accepts no responsibility for inadvertant copyright breaches. This website does not have any affiliation with the National Rugby League (NRL). or the Penrith Panthers Rugby League Football Club, nor business connection and has not been endorsed by the National Rugby League or Penrith Panthers.
ROLL CALL