R1 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R1 Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue AAMI Park, Melbourne VIC
:clock10: Time Friday, 8th March 2023 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v Sydney Roosters 9/3 3:00pm1
JFLEGG Penrith Panthers v Sydney Roosters 9/3 1:00pm1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 24°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: <1% / :wind_face: Wind: S 14km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg to be played Saturday at St Mary Leagues Stdaium, St Mary NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 0 Tries None.
Goals None. 2GF Nathan Cleary (0/1)
Melbourne Storm 8 Tries Reimis Smith.
Goals Nick Meaney (2/2)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 Tries Isaiah Iongi (2), Daeon Amituanai, Harrison Hassett, Tyrone Peachey.
Goals Paul Alamoti (4/5)
Sydney Roosters 22 Tries Benaiah Ioelu (2), Ethan King (2).
Goals Hugo Savala (3/4)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 14 Tries Casey Mclean (2), Angelis Hotere-Papalii.
Goals Joseph Nohra (1/3
Sydney Roosters 4 Tries Hayden Barton.
Goals

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Storm v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v Roosters :rugby_football: Panthers v Roosters
:clock3: Friday 8/3 8:05pm :clock3: Saturday 9/3 3:00pm :clock3: Saturday 9/3 1:00pm
:stadium: AAMI Park :stadium: St Marys Leagues Stadium :stadium: St Marys Leagues Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Tim Sielaff-Burns
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jesse Mclean 2. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
3. Izack Tago 3. David Fale 3. Casey Mclean
4. Taylan May 4. Paul Alamoti 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian Too 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Nick Murphy
6. Jarome Luai 6. Daine Laurie 6. Joseph Nohra
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Brad Schneider 7. Blake Moore
8. Moses Leota 8. Ativalu Lisati 8. Luron Patea
9. Luke Sommerton 9. Soni Luke 9. Billy Scott
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Preston Riki 10. John Sagaga
11. Luke Garner 11. Harrison Hassett 11. Riley Wake
12. Liam Martin 12. Mavrik Geyer 12. Aston Warwick ©
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Riley Price 13. Billy Phillips
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone Peachey 14. Trent Toelau 23. Noah Nailagoliva
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Jordan Grant 15. Ahmani Leilua
16. Liam Henry 16. Niko Apelu 16. Josh Ruxton
17. Matthew Eisenhuth 17. Zac Lipowicz 17. Lachlan Blackburn
RESERVES
18. Daine Laurie 18. Cooper Egan
19. Soni Luke 19. Jirah Liddiard
20. Brad Schneider 20. Francis Manuleleua
21. Preston Riki
22. Mavrik Geyer
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton Daniel Luttringer Billy Greatbach
Sideline Official Phil Henderson Bradley Kiehne Mitchell Robinson
David Munro Mitchell Stone Mitchell Stone
Video Referee Adam Gee - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/0) 100% (30/52) 57.69% 159 132 1.20

I read that article on NRl - Moses raises his 150? In 50 games time do we play the Storm :rofl:

Maybe in his 100th game they are predicting he scores 150 fantasy points? :rofl:

This will be 150th assuming he is named.

:mega: Teams and Match Officials have been updated.

Apart from Scott Sorenson and Mitch Kenny our strongest team…whilst I have no complaints about Matt Eisenhuth hes reliable, has a good work ethic and lets no one down I dont think he makes an impact off the bench Id rather have him start and Moses come on after 20 minutes and create some havoc against a tiring defence. That said Moses 150th game this week he has to and desrves to start the game.
Looks like Soni Luke is out of favour I know a few on this forum were promoting Luke to starting hooker after Api left…thoughts now?

1 Like

Luke was good when he was younger, but seems to have peaked in the juniors. We have better options to cover the hooker/utility roles.

He reminds me alot of Wade Egan, he is a “look at me” when hes on the field and close to the line always looking for the big play.

Since Egan joined the Warriors, he seems to have become a team player and has gone ahead leaps and bounds. No doubt Soni has the quality, he just needs a bit more size and a smaller head…IMO

Those are interesting stats. Such a poor success rate over a period in which we had a phenomenally high overall rate suggests that we suffered poor refereeing decisions. Yet the penalties favoured us. So, a deeper dive into the stats might be interesting. For example, did Sutton give us penalties, but not 6-agains? Or what was the distribution of penalties with reference to what tackle in each set - penalties late in a set are such killers? Or did we receive a flurry of penalties after a match was already lost irretrievably, just to even up the books? Meanwhile I’ll rest comfortably in my belief that we have been screwed over the decades.

Interestingly enough, there is only one team with a better record under Sutton. Unfortunately it is the team we are playing this week.

It would be interesting to look back & see which games he reffed for us. He has been around since 2009, and for the first half of his career we were pretty ordinary for the most part.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time or energy to go through the records at the moment.

1 Like

Maybe wishful thinking, but I am tempted to think Mav might make his debut off the bench this week.

We currently have 3 middles named on the bench - Smith, Henry and Huth.

Henry could play on the edge, but I wouldn’t put any of them into the centres if a back went down.

Luke named instead of Peach

Well, after an off-season celebrating the 3-PEAT, it all starts again tonight.

Very confident of another memorable season & hoping for a good start tonight.

C’mon boys!!!

2 Likes

Ouch. Pretty poor half. A lot of turnover and penalties to Melbourne. The fact we got out of it down 2-0 is a good sign.

1 Like

we’ve just had a 4.3 magnitude earthquake at Penrith and Cleary needs to hit our blokes with a magnitude 10

we are awful

1 Like

I was expecting an arm wrestle, and that is what we have had so far.

Our defence is as good as ever, but we are clunky in attack, and have made some poor errors. If we do better with the ball in the second half we should win.

1 Like

Our defence is good but they aren’t throwing much at us but we sure aren’t throwing much at them.

I think Nathan has love is in the air playing between his ears and he has some back up singers in Yeo and Turuva and sadly Sommerton might be a nice guy but he is as pedestrian you can get from a 9.
I saw Laurie in the sheds and i would like to see him sub for Luai whose defensive efforts are obviously a result of his shoulder and he looks flat.

we need some sparkle but again coming from my comments about the Wigan game, i just don’t know our points are going to come from.

Cleary has had the break to reset the boys…hope he has got their attention.

not the result we wanted and a bit to process

Storm are OK but we are terrible and we learnt nothing from the Wigan loss.

Cleary the Coach has either to train the hell out of them or tell them to go play golf.

For us not to score a point is the concern, forget about the 8 they scored, its the duck egg on our side which is alarming and we haven’t scored a point in 3 halves of footy when you include the Wigan game.

All teams will be up for playing us no matter how bad they are, they will want to beat the champions.

1 Like

To me the biggest take away from the game is how much we missed Kenny at dummy half. We just didn’t have the direction we needed in the opposition 20, especially after Luke came on. The game was there for the taking, but we just couldn’t capitalise.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride man of the Match voting is now open here.

Further to this, I still question the decision to drop Peachey for Luke. What exactly did Luke provide that Peachey could not have done better.

Lukes defence was poor, leaving some gaping holes, and his attack was at times woeful, running out of dummy half in circles losing metres for no effect. He put os some kick that nobody was on the same page for.

2 Likes