[2022] R11 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Panthers setting for a field goal against the Roosters. The hooker sells it, then scores from dummy half. I swear Iā€™ve seen that somewhere beforešŸ¤”
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, Mutley. Wonder where Iā€™ve seen that one before?:wink::grin::rofl:

Great to be back on the forum. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Another good win against quality opposition.

1 Like

Our back 5 were amazing. Ditto JFH, Sorensen & great to see Luai get a double.

Really impressed with the last 2 weeks after dropping the game against Parra.

2 Likes

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 17 Tries Preston Riki, Jā€™maine Hopgood, Thomas Jenkins.
Goals Kurt Falls (2/3) FG Sean Oā€™Sullivan (1)
North Sydney Bears 12 Tries Adam Keighran (2), Kevin Naiqama.
Goals Adam Keighran (0/2) Tom Carr (0/1)

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP REPORT

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 10 Tries Jarome Luai (2), Isaiah Iongi, Cody Lawson.
Goals Niwhai Puru (1/2)
Sydney Roosters 34 Tries Thomas Deakin (2), Jack Mossman, Riley Meyn, Jacob Preston.
Goals Hugo Savala (4/4), Jack Mossman (3/3)

JERSEY FLEGG CUP REPORT

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

1 Like

a complete performance, our forwards fantastic.

2 Likes

Not much more to be said. A complete performance against a quality side.

Our forwards dominated in the first quarter, I backs and attack in general fires in the second quarter, in the second half we defended our line as a team.

No bad players, it will be a huge game against the cowboys.

Yeo, Luai and Api were my best

Interesting game and Roosters were up for it from the get go which presented a challenge and our boys responded with defence which thwarts the opposition.
its quite amazing how we use defence as a weapon and despite some still not being at their best ala Cleary who doesnā€™t look right to me we have others as touched on like Api, Luai and Yeo who is playing at another level such as his deft pass to Sorenson for the Luai try.

I like how Cleary tried the short kick off not once but twice at the end, showing he was still thinking even at 32-6. Sure it didnā€™t pay off but the key was he was thinking.

I liked how we can change tactics in attack and the field goal set up for Api to score was masterful deception just before half time.

Roosters to their credit didnā€™t go away but despite their best efforts were outclassed all over the park and we are at another level.

That level will be tested this week when we play the cowboys at home. They are on a high and have thumped both the Eels and Storm, which suggests we will have to be ā€œonā€ for this game.

There is much to like about how we are playing, we can transition from defence into attack seamlessly, we use defence as an offensive weapon and our options in attack are all over the park.

add to this imo we are still not our best which is an ominous sign for other teams.

I like how we play and how we have no cheap shots or rubbish in our game, its class, execution, enthusiasm and effort.

This side could go down as one of the greats and think 3 in a row is not beyond this squad which puts them in rarefied space in the modern era.

Its a way off and we have to get the job done this year but the elusive looks within reach.

Thats for another day, hope the boys are all well from the gameā€¦monster test on Friday.

Enjoy the win boys

2 Likes

Jarome Luai? Must be two of them, or a typo.

Totally agree. This is a huge plus for Penrith, in so many ways. What a contrast to cheap shot merchants like JWH and his ilk.

1 Like

Comprehensive - The only issue with Api playing as good as he is, we will lose another one to SOO :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I hate this SOO period. There should be a cap of 4 players from any one side.
Seriously, a club side doing there best in representing their district are penalised for having the hide to win a high proportion of their premiership games to date. Then they have to risk the possibility of injury further depleting their roster. It stinks !!!

2 Likes

Definitely a typo, but in my defence, it is a bit hard doing the post match wrap up on a laptop at the SCG.

Agreed Puss. Iā€™ve been saying for years it should be on stand alone weekends, so that the club games arenā€™t impacted. It would only add an extra 2 weeks to the season (or alternatively play 2 less games during the season).

2 Likes

While I agree to some degree, itā€™s just something we have to learn to live with as teams like the Storm, Broncos and Roosters have in the past.

It sucks, but I think we have done well to insulate ourselves for SOO this year. We are 4 points clear at the top of the table and will have a bye for Game 2. We also have a soft draw this year as well as a bulked up NSW Cup side (who also have padded themselves at the top of the table).

1 Like

The other pitfall is, when a player has SOO rep against his CV up goes the priceā€¦

3 Likes

and that can be a heartbreaker for supporters !!!
Saying goodbye to those who have served us well because we canā€™t afford them.
The only people benefiting, the NRL. Do they still play dead ā€˜rubbersā€™ ?

Good luck to those Panthers chosen. Iā€™ll read about it here !

1 Like

This can be offset with a concession for local juniors. I feel a club should be given a discount for the investment in young talent.

4 Likes

And if anyone is still wondering why Easts are the ā€˜Easts Rortersā€™, hereā€™s why; the recent proposal by their moneymen to have Easts defined as a ā€˜development clubā€™ and hence get the most financial benefit from such a scheme. In the same scheme, Penrith would rate near the bottom. Apparently, stealing juniors from clubs like the Penrith junior leagues constitutes ā€˜developmentā€™. When I read that, I had to check that it wasnā€™t the 1st April. This sort of effrontery is a further example of the old adage - ā€œIf something sounds rotten, just follow the moneyā€. And thatā€™s why the accountants are as important as the coaches.

ā€™

2 Likes