R14 Panthers v Eagles - Game Day Thread

R14 Panthers v Sea Eagles

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
:stadium: Venue BlueBet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday, June 9 4:05pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v North Sydney Bears 9/6 1:40pm
JFLEGG Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers 9/6 11:15am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Mostly Sunny 18°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 2% / :wind_face: Wind: 8km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. Jersey Flegg to be played at AAMI Park, Melbourne

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

40px Penrith Panthers 32 Tries Brian To’o (3), Sunia Turuva (2), Liam Henry.
Goals Paul Alamoti (4/7)
40px Manly Sea Eagles 22 Tries Tommy Talau (4), Jason Saab.
GoalsReuben Garrick (1/5)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

40px Penrith Panthers 16 Tries Mavrik Geyer, Tyrone Peachey, David Fale.
Goals Zack Lamont (2/3)
40px North Sydney Bears 22 Tries Kieran Hayman, Israel Ogden, Allan Fitzgibbon.
Goals Kieran Hayman (5/5)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

40px Penrith Panthers 22 Tries Jirah Liddiard, Bayden Moran, Joseph Nohra, Angelis Hotere-Papalii.
Goals Jirah Liddiard (3/5)
40px Melbourne Storm 18 Tries Angus Hinchey (2), Maanaima Amosa.
Goals Joshua Berryman (2/2), De’Ontae Perese (1/2)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams and Officials

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles :rugby_football: Panthers v Bears :rugby_football: Storm v Panthers
:clock3: Sunday 9/6 4:05pm :clock3: Sunday 9/6 1:40pm :clock3: Sunday 9/6 11:15am
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: AAMI Park
TEAM
1. Daine Laurie 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jesse Mclean 2. Jirah Liddiard
3. Izack Tago 3. Casey Mclean 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Paul Alamoti 4. David Fale 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Nick Murphy
6. Jack Cole 6. Tyrone Peachey 6. Blake Moore
7. Jarome Luai 7. Brad Schneider 7. Zach Lamont
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant 8. John Sagaga
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Bayden Moran
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Preston Riki 10. Jakeb Vailalo
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Riley Wake
17. Luke Garner :small_orange_diamond: 12. Zac Lipowicz 12. Francis Manuleleua
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Riley Price 13. Aston Warwick
INTERCHANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14. Billy Scott 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Luron Patea 15. Hokofonu Lemoto
16. Liam Henry 16. Ativalu Lisati 16. Ahmani Leilua
20. Matt Eisenhuth :small_red_triangle: 17. Harrison Hassett 17. Lachlan Blackburn
RESERVES
22. Preston Riki 18. Falefa Letoi 18. Luke Philp
21. Jesse Mclean 19. Josh Ruxton
12. Liam Martin :injured: 20. Poutoa Papalii
23. Dylan Edwards :injured: 21. Judah Galuvao
18. Brad Schneider :small_red_triangle_down: 22. Joseph Nohra
19. Mavrik Geyer :small_red_triangle_down:
24. Tyrone Peachey :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton Kieren Irons Lachlan Greenfield
Sideline Official Liam Kennedy Nick Beashel Nathan Loveday
Wyatt Raymond Nathan Loveday William Roache
Video Referee Chris Butler - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (2/3) 66.6% (31/54) 54.41% 217 221.5 0.98

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

Interesting that Toelau has retained his spot in the 17. Utility value, as a sub for Kenny. Maybe he showed Cleary something last week. While Laurie fills in at FB, Toelau has a chance to stake a claim to the utility spot over Laurie.

Martin reported as out for the game - foot injury from first half on Wed night.

Given the way Martin played in the second half with some of his tackles, I would say it’s more precautionary rather than anything serious.

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 14

Good to get the win in front a good crowd.

Turuva sure had a shocker in the first half, however in quite the contrast our SOO winger To’o played close to a man of the match performance.

The 22 scored against us was not too good, but we never really looked like losing in the second half.

It does make me wonder how many points Dylan subtracts from our opposition - at least 12 I think.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Dylan is definitely better at supporting the defence on the wings.

3 Likes

Its hard to describe the game, it had some highs, some very low lows and at times it simply was just a game.

IC will be filthy on the points they scored and how in the main they exposed our right edge defence.

Tago was the main culprit in rushing up, not sliding and at times in some bizarre way moving towards Cole which dragged Turuva in.
Not sure if Tago is not trusting Cole or what it is but his form of late has been below his usual and since we will be without NC for some more time, he had better figure it out.

Alamoti also at times got pulled out of position.

On the standouts Too and Yeo were great and Laurie played great and at times looked like Dylan how he took hit ups and tested them out, he was a little off in defence but a much improved effort from him.

But again the difference with our SOO players back in against the kids who came up was magnified.
Not sold on Cole but he does show moments of good like his cut out pass to Too but at other times like his kick straight into the lap of Brown on their try line makes you wonder.

And lastly on the Ref…if someone can explain the rule or 3rd chance rule given to Cherry…if you are front of the mark and ref and kick the ball isn’t that a penalty?

then you let him do the same thing again and all he gets is another go…like what is that?

plus i forget who but they made a giant break and split Manly open only for Laurie to be tripped/knocked over in support and the ref said it had no impact on the play and was let go

and what was the chat with Cherry behind the goal line, was that about the trip/tackle?

and my pet hate, what is the go with a quorum of Manly players attacking the ref as they marched back to kick off?

Back to us, glad we got the win and maintains our 3rd spot.

enjoy boys and hope there are no injuries out of the game.

3 Likes

It was odd watching the right wing in defence. Tago and Turuva were so far in from the side line, at times it seems that Tago was stuck to Cole like glue.

After we conceded the three tries that wing I thought the best option would be to shift Garner out in defence and have him hold the spot forcing Tago and Turuva to stick to the sideline and sure up the defensive line up there. We conceded 4 tries up that side and gave away 16 of Manly’s 22 points. That needs addressing as neither Tago or Turuva are reggies filling in spots.

4 Likes

Good quality game with both teams having excellent completions. Manly came to play & we got the 2 points, which at this stage is pretty much all that matters. The other game stats again show that we were mostly dominant in all aspects, including that our defence on Manly coming out of their own end meant they had a massive metres kicked stat.

The guys backing up from Wed were excellent, and we played pretty well all across the park. Some work needed in the 15m lanes each side in defence, but otherwise not too much of concern.

The extra minutes played by Smith & Henry last week stand us in good stead for the games ahead - they both were great yesterday, after working themselves to a standstill last week. We have the best front row 4 in the league, even after losing Spencer.

Our Achilles heel remains the short kick-offs - we seem to be 1/10 to get the ball whether kicking of receiving :open_mouth:

With Edwards & Martin to return & NC at some point we are looking to be right in this again. As I wrote last week, I haven’t seen a team we can’t beat.

Our best 16 is pretty well sorted - the final piece is who is #14. Laurie went a long way to winning that spot yesterday. I guess in our ‘ultimate’ team it depends if IC wants or thinks we need a D/H or a utility.

1 Like

I agree with all the analysis above. So, at the risk of being repetitive :-

Has DCE been taking refereeing lessons from Cameron Smith?

IC seems to suggest that the the RHS defence is a one-off situation. I beg to differ; it has happened all year. Turuva might have scored a bagful of tries this year, but his net tries (tries-scored minus tries-conceded) is less flattering. But the problem more lies with Tago’s rushing-in tactics than with Turuva’s tackling.

Was that the year’s most spectacular sunset?

Once again, a great crowd; a sea of black (and pink). Before these 4 golden years, any crowd approaching a full house would have been chock full of Parra of Scumdog supporters, etc.

For the Laurie off-the-ball takeout, I’ll be interested in how that rule is officiated against us for the remainder of the year. The ref’s justification for his decision has implications for any late contact with a kicker, amongst other actions.

Penrith has been about the worst team for defusing short kicks for as long as I can remember. For a while we had Crichton as a jumper, but at present we must have the greatest height mismatch no matter who we play. This almost negates any value of trapping the opposition in goal. At times you’d swear that our team is not even aware that a short kick might be likely. To’o / Turuva vs Saab was a no contest.

Is that the worst that Garrick has ever kicked? It meant that our lack of our two usual kickers was less damaging.

2 Likes

found the vision of the trip.

ref saw this live and the guy should have been sent off

1 Like

I question how DCE was allowed to be offside when taking both a short line drop out and a restart from the half way.
He stands in front of the line to take the kick

Section 8 rule 6a - 1 states : A player who drops out or kicks off shall be penalised if he :-
Advances in front of the appropriate line before kicking the ball

2 Likes