R18 Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R18 Broncos v Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane QLD
:clock10: Time Friday, July 5 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches JFLEGG Penrith Panthers v Kaiviti Silktails 6/7 3:00pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 16°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 18% / :wind_face: Wind: S 13km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 14 Tries
Goals
Jack Cole, Brian To'o, Mitch Kenny.
Dylan Edwards (1/3)
Brisbane Broncos 6 Tries
Goals
Reece Walsh.
Reece Walsh (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2024/round-18/full-match-replay-broncos-v-panthers-round-18-20242/

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams and Officials

Team

Telstra Premiership Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Broncos v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v Silktails
:clock3: Friday 5/7 8:00pm :clock3: Saturday 6/7 1:00pm
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Poutoa Hotere-Papalii
3. Izack Tago 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Paul Alamoti 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Jirah Liddiard
6. Jack Cole 6. Blake Moore
7. Jarome Luai 7. Zach Lamont
8. Moses Leota 8. Jakeb Vailalo
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Bayden Moran
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Siotame Hansen
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Riley Wake
12. Liam Martin 12. Lachlan Blackburn
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Aston Warwick
INTERCHANGE
14. Daine Laurie 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Ahmani Leilua
16. Liam Henry 16. Judah Galuvao
17. Matt Eisenhuth 17. Luke Philp
RESERVES
18. Brad Schneider 18. Jett Cleary
19. Luron Patea 19. Tim Carson
20. Trent Toelau 20. Josh Ruxton
21. Casey Mclean 21. Noah Nailagoliva
22. Luke Sommerton 22. Cooper Ferrari
COACH
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee TBA TBA
Sideline Official TBA TBA
TBA TBA
Video Referee TBA -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
TBA - (-/-) -% (-/-) -% - - -

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

We are holding our own but Schneider again is poor.
The Laurie injury doesn’t help as it exhausts an exchange plus we had to reshuffle.

just dont know where our points are going to come from.

Tago made the mistake to let Walsh score so could have been 4 nil

Luai needs to step up and we just need to maintain our effort, they are up for this so is a good measure of where we are at , but Broncos have all the pressure on them in my view.

1 Like

An improvement on last week. Let’s see what the second half holds.

1 Like

Schneider :see_no_evil:

Tago needs to stop running in. He’s not going too bad if he just holds his spot in the line. When he stays in the line and slides, they look solid.

I feel for Laurie, he earnt the starting spot and lost it early.

At least we got the win.

5 Likes

well deserved win and Broncos and their season is on tilt

we showed grit and claw with our forwards being enormous but Schneider is the weak link

Cole was solid and with Nathan back we resume normal transmission

enjoy the bye boys…when we come back we turn the corner for the run home to the finals.

we’ll done!!!

4 Likes

Solid performance, especially in defence, with Tago’s rushing out of the line being the only cause for concern.

Looking forward to Cleary leading the team around the park again. We might get to show how lethal our attack can be then.

3 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

I think that Tago may have been tasked with pressuring Walsh much the same as Martin used to be used.

2 Likes

revisiting the game last night and going over the result, i think we and Ivan would be most proud of the 6 in the score.

and that 6 came through a terrible Tago mistake in defence.

showed how the defence system and how the side work as a unit are at the highest level.

Our shortcomings were identified by Ivan in the presser and we all have and saw what he saw, our terrible kicking game but that wasn’t alone, we still look terrible in attack but like being able to see where we are deficient we can also see what changes when Nathan returns.

I am sure this is what will trouble other teams, our potency will return as we will have options either side and importantly have the best kicking game as well.

strangely the commentators raised a point prior to kick off,as of last night we had the same win /loss record as 2023
that alone should frighten teams in the Top 8 as despite mis-steps, injuries, SOO duties, terrible ref calls we have continued on our path.

3 Likes

Our forwards were awesome last night. Leota me Fish payed the tempo, Kenny provided direction and spark, Martin the aggression, and Smith had the game of his life.

And to think I didn’t mention Yeo lol.

Edwards at the back have our defence structure, plus his own efforts in everything he does.

Alomotti switched sides and positions yet handled the change with no fuss. Since coming into first grade his effort and attitude have continually impressed. Quite the contrast to who he replaced originally at centre.

Schneider is interesting, he kind of reminds me of Jimmy Maloney in that he can play poor one minute, then next minute make a big play. Those two drop out attempts had me scratching my head.

Good signs overall, and things will only get better with Nathan’s return.

We keep some bizarre statistics alive with late nights win;

1. To’o has not lost a first grade game in a game in which he had scored.

2. Reece Walsh has never beaten Penrith in first grade

I like that last one a lot :grinning:

7 Likes

Just wanted the thank the club for organising the signing session at the Sofitel hotel today and the players for giving up their time to sign autographs and have pictures taken with the Panthers Qld members. It was a great event and well attended. Thanks.

4 Likes

Any win against the broncs is a great one :slight_smile:

A lot of good performances - we are well placed at this point for the run home, and the prize is within our reach. Controlled the game well & the margin could have been more.

Not sure what was the story with Turuva, and then Laurie goes down early, which forced an unexpected shuffle.

Have the bye this week, and then negotiate the dolphins game - do we back SOO players up, does NC return???

I was thinking over the weekend - our star players that moved on over recent seasons have all got to go out on a high of winning the trophy. This year it will be Fish & Romey moving on - we are gonna have to win this damn thing again for them!!! Of course that means we need to win the trophy for several more seasons, so they all get their turn :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

Finally watched the replay and can comment, I listened to it on the radio live, then read our comments, I’ve gotta say, not sure about the Schneider negativity. No he is NOT Nathan Cleary, he IMO is our reserve grade half back who fills the void when needed. His game was not that bad !

Th reason for the quote SHF, I reckon this drop kick is a further tactic, no one seems to care and given it is no longer a penalty, it gives the defense some significant extra time before they defend again. In Penrith’s case, this breathe time is GOLD. You get the 10 second warning to kick, watch the clock, then kick it high and only go 5mtrs, ball bounces around, then they set the defense and play the ball. It worked beautifully Friday night…

Just on Schneider, his 1% efforts were probably the best on field other than Marto, first back to dummy half from a opposition kick, helps Kenny, his cover defense was good, his kick chase was great, he also ran at 1/2 gaps with quick play the balls that helped significantly and was the catalyst for the Cole 1st try. I was happy with the fill in 7 game against the Broncos. The Cowboys game…YUKKY

2 Likes

I agree with your analysis Kevin.

The big plays I was mentioning was his defensive effort. We all know Penrith under Ivan are a defence based team, and Schneider plays that role well.

On another matter, is it just me or does Cole look like a small kid compared to the players around him? Don’t get me wrong, he is full of heart and effort. Just unsure if his physical size is up to week in week out first grade. Time is certainly on his side though.

2 Likes

Yep, he got punished running into the defense the way he did against the Broncs, full of effort and merit, but he will last 5 minutes with that game plan.

1 Like

It’s obviously fresher in your mind than mine, but I thought his kicking game wasnt great. High kicks were too short and our attacking plays as a whole look venomless.

Last cpl weeks we’ve had moments camped on the opposition line, set after set after set and not broken through.

Need to be converting that into points.

Hopefully Cleary is properly recovered and gets through the remainder of the season and don’t need to think about it again!

Edit: just re-read your post and saw last line about cowboys game. May very well be some carry over sentiment from cows game.

3 Likes

Hey Gogatee, it’s funny you mention the previous game, when I was watching knowing the commentary here, I referenced to the Mrs, I would take Schneider over Luke Walsh every day of the week. If kicking is your tactic, Walsh is great, but the way Schneider saw a 1/2 gap and took it on, then played the ball quickly really put the defense on the back foot AND he is a solid defender.

I can’t argue with the amount of time we spent in their 20 for minimal result, but that is also a Panther tactic to wear teams down. If you go 20 in front early, the refereeing changes, which then puts pressure on mindsets. Momentum in the current game is everything, all of our 1st halves are built on owning possession for as long as possible. I think they mentioned a stat in commentary, Penrith are the leading team (by a long way) of repeat sets. Food for thought as they say !

1 Like