[2024] R20 Panthers v Dolphins - Game Day Thread

R20 Panthers v Dolphins

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Dolphins
:stadium: Venue BlueBet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday, July 21 2:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 19/7 7:00pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 19°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 10% / :wind_face: Wind: W 11km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 Tries
Goals
2FG
Sunia Turuva, Paul Alamoti, Moses Leota, Daine Laurie.
Nathan Cleary (5/5)
Nathan Cleary (1)
Dolphins 26 Tries
Goals
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2), Isaiya Katoa, Jack Bostock.
Jamayne Isaako (5/5)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 48 Tries

Goals
Asu Kepaoa (2), Zac Lipowicz (2), Daeon Amituanai, David Fale, Tyrone Peachey, Harrison Hassett, Samuel Lane.
Billy Scott (6/9)
Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 18 Tries
Goals
Brad Parke, Tylor Bunting, Clayton Faulalo.
Jaxson Paulo (3/3)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 62 Tries

Goals
Angelis Hotere-Papalii (3), Jaxen Edgar, Tim Carson, Poutoa Hotere-Papalii.
Zack Lamont (2/2), Jett Cleary (4/4)
Manly Sea Eagles 6 Tries
Goals
Nicholas Lenaz (2), Alton Naiyep, Kylan Mafoa.
Kallum Weatherall-Stacey (4/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Dolphins :rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles :rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles
:clock3: Sunday 21/6 2:00pm :clock3: Sunday 21/6 11:45am :clock3: Saturday 20/7 11:00am
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: St Marys Leagues Stadium
TEAM
1. Daine Laurie 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Nick Murphy 2. Poutoa Hotere-Papalii
3. Izack Tago 3. Asu Kepaoa 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Casey Mclean 4. David Fale 4. Luke Philp
5. Paul Alamoti 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Tim Carson
6. Brad Schneider 6. Tyrone Peachey 6. Blake Moore
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Soni Luke 7. Zach Lamont
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant 8. Jakeb Vailalo
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Billy Scott 9. Bayden Moran
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Austin Dias 10. Ahmani Leilua
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Francis Manuleleua
16. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle: 12. Zac Lipowicz 12. Lachlan Blackburn
13. Matt Eisenhuth 13. Riley Price 13. Aston Warwick
INTERRCHANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14. Riley Wake 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Niko Apelu 15. Judah Galuvao
17. Luron Patea 16. Falefa Letoi 16. Hokafonu Lemoto
19. Mavrik Geyer :small_red_triangle: 17. Harry Hassett 17. Jett Cleary
RESERVES
18. Isaiah Iongi 18. Sam Lane 18. Siotame Hansen
21. Tyrone Peachey 19. Joseph Nohra
12. Luke Garner :injured: 20. Josh Ruxton
20. Soni Luke :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Isaiah Scanlon
22. Jarome Luai :small_red_triangle_down: 22. Noah Nailagolivia
23. Brian To’o :small_red_triangle_down: 23. Cooper Egan
24. Liam Martin :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee TBA TBA
Sideline Official Dave Munro TBA TBA
Clayton Wills TBA TBA
Video Referee Todd Smith - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (2/2) 100% (25/36) 69.44% 179.5 169.5 1.06

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

As I just posted on SOO thread, Laurie confirmed in updated team & NO SOO players backing up for us.

See you all tomorrow at the game - bring you footys as the field is open for a run after the game :slight_smile: Hoping these winds abate!

Late Changes

Liam Henry will replace Luke Garner in the second row this week and Mavrik Geyer to the bench.

All origin players have been rested.

Any word on N Cleary’s hamstring? Is this anticipated to be a conservative return or is there an element of rushing?

Worst thing to come of SOO, other than the QLD loss was Edwards’ injury. Hopefully he’s back and firing for the finals. I honestly think he’s on par with Cleary as the most important in the team. (Cleary offensively and Edwards defensively)

Has Luron Patea stepped up over Mavrik Geyer in the pecking order?

Jack Cole must be injured? NSW Cup looks very makeshift in the halves.

Looking forward to watching tomorrow!

To my understanding he was good to go a few weeks ago, but they opted to return him after the Origin period was over. I think there were sure to avoid another hamstring setback like last time.

1 Like

We really need to lift in our defence in the 2nd half. Laurie awful at fullback

There has been some atrocious calls. How the dolphins didn’t have a man in the bin at the end of the first half I have no idea.

The fwd pass from Schneider? Followed by the back to back call on strip…

Certainly getting a leg up.

Always going to be tough without our chief in defence

Doesn’t help with Schneider bombing a certain try.

Sounds like alamoti is gone for a while

1 Like

Good to get the win, but gee we have some things to work on, especially our right side defence. I know I’m not the only one sick of seeing Tago run out of the line, leaving his outside man isolated

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Paul Alamoti has been reported of having a suspected forearm fracture. Expected return is 6 weeks.

That (oddly) sounds positive then. I thought the Fox coverage had initially reported it at a suspected dislocated shoulder which I assumed would be his season. Even still, 6 weeks is virtually the rest of the regular season.

1 Like

I thought the game itself went well for us. Yes we had a few uncharacteristic issues, poor dummy half passes, players running in the way of the attack, Eisenhuth trying to be Yeo (i get we want a ball playing forward but geez he was poo at that) with a great back up run after Laurie to set up the field goal, some dodgy ref calls…but IMO it bodes well for the run to the finals, plenty to work on with our big 5 to come back in.

I am very happy we got the win, but more excited about how much improvement we have in us !

When I saw him come off live at the ground I thought the same. he had his fore arm wrapped up and the trainer was supporting his arm. I thought that the likelihood was a nasty shoulder dislocation.

But it turned out he was supporting his forearm cause of a fracture, from what I heard it’s moist likely a clean fracture… if so the return time is generally 5-6 weeks.

Once again we faced a team who had come to play, which is par for the course when you are "The Hunted’. The dolphins are a pretty good team & were virtually perfect thru the first half & are likely to play finals footy. It was a tough game to win.

We made a few errors & a couple of one-on-one tackles were missed & we missed a couple of good chances to score ourselves. So we were on the wrong side of the scoreboard. The BS penalty for contact on the kicker could have been the end for us us it made the lead to be 3 scores for us to win. The tackle was not late, not high & did not put the kicker in a dangerous position.

We have heard it many times now, about how the team sticks to ‘the system’ which they did and pulled of another victory. When will the QLD teams learn that leading us midway thru 2nd half, requiring 3 scores to win, is us having them just where we want them :slight_smile:

We evened the game up and then the iceman prevailed & the good guys got the two points in extra time.

What a great day to be a Panther!!!

2 Likes

Looking at the match statistics today, and if you judged the game on the stats alone you would have said the Dolphins should have won comfortably.

The amount of errors, missed tackles and incomplete sets on top of all of the origin reps rested, you would think that Penrith were destined to take the “L” this week.

One problem though… the Dolphins lead by 14 and felt like they had “done enough” and started to defend the lead. I think Penrith had picked up on that and sensed blood in the water.

2 Likes

On another note, what was Jamayne Isaako thinking?!?!

Hardly any time left on the clock, right out front of the sticks, just far away for the defence to not reach you to take a field goal and then decides to kick across the field to a player who was covered easily.

If he took the field goal, they were pretty much over the line and would have walked away winners.

One of the biggest brain farts I have seen some time. The last one would have been Greg Inglis’ 1 point field goal on the hooter when down by 2.

2 Likes