R21 Dragons v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R21 Dragons v Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match St. George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Win Stadium, Wollongong NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday, July 28 2:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketmaster
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights 3/8 12:00pm
JFLEGG Bye
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Mostly Sunny 17°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 5% / :wind_face: Wind: W 16km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 46 Tries
Goals
Nathan Cleary (3), Casey McLean, Liam Martin, Scott Sorensen, Lindsay Smith, Trent Toelau.
Nathan Cleary (7/8)
St George Illawarra Dragons 10 Tries
Goals
Christian Tuipulotu, Jaydn Su'A.
Zac Lomax (1/2)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 48 Tries

Goals
Asu Kepaoa (3), David Fale, Jack Cole, Harrison Hassett.
Jack Cole (3/6)
St George Illawarra Dragons 18 Tries
Goals
Mikaele Ravalawa, Lyhkan King-Togia, Dylan Egan, Tyrell Sloan.
Jonah Glover (4/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup
:rugby_football: Dragons v Panthers :rugby_football: Dragons v Panthers
:clock3: Sunday 28/6 2:00pm :clock3: Saturday 27/6 12:00am
:stadium: WIN Stadium :stadium: Collegians Sporting Complex
TEAM
1. Daine Laurie 1. Isaiah Iongi
2. Sunia Turuva 2. David Fale
3. Izack Tago 3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Casey Mclean 4. Asu Kepaoa
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Brad Schnieder
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Austin Dias
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Riley Price
12. Liam Martin 12. Zac Lipowicz
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Luron Patea
INTERCHGANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14. Soni Luke
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Niko Apelu
16. Liam Henry 16. Falefa Letoi
17. Mavrik Geyer 17. Harrison Hassett
RESERVES
18. Matt Eisenhuth 18. John Fonua
20. Brad Schneider
19. Jack Cole :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Isaiah Iongi :small_red_triangle_down:
23. Luke Sommerton :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton Jake Sutherland
Sideline Official Belinda Sharpe Luke Heckendorf
Jon Stone Liam Nicholls
Video Referee Kasey Badger -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (3/4) 75% (33/56) 58.93% 225 230.5 0.98

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 21

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Sunday’s match against St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium.

Jack Cole, Isaiah Iongi and Luke Sommerton have been dropped from the extended bench.

The Panthers will wear the 2024 Home Jersey.

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 48 Tries

Goals
Asu Kepaoa (3), David Fale, Jack Cole, Harrison Hassett.
Jack Cole (3/6)
St George Illawarra Dragons 18 Tries

Goals
Mikaele Ravalawa, Lyhkan King-Togia, Dylan Egan, Tyrell Sloan.
Jonah Glover (4/4)

I do hope we go into this game with the right mindset, to play hard and fast and respect the opponent.

We don’t have a good record at Wollongong

1 Like

Glad to see the team took my advice :rofl:

With the way our team is playing, and the injuries/HIA’s maybe we should have an outside back on the bench. After all, should a forward go down, To’o could shift to the front row :rofl:

In all seriousness, I do hope we keep this up and put a cricket score on them

1 Like

Comprehensive win, without really getting out of second gear. Hoping JFH’s injury isn’t too bad.

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Was a good game to watch this afternoon!

Like Mutley said, hopefully JFH’s injury doesn’t keep him out too long.

Noticed a little switch in the wing/centre combinations, with Turuva on the left alongside C McLean and Tago with To’o. Either the Dragons were completely toothless or it legitimately seemed a lot better than the Tago/Turuva combination.

Hopefully we see Isaiah Iongi come into the backline (pref Fullback) next week with Laurie out and not Tyrone…

Our attack looks so much more on song and threatening with Cleary back on deck and humming.

Fingers crossed we get all troops back on deck and stay relatively injury free for the remainder of the season. If so, I think a fourpeat is well within reach.

2 Likes

JFH seems to have an adductor muscle injury. Typical recovery time is 1-3 weeks depending on severity. I believe he is going for scans today.

Also Dane Lauie will be absent this week as he will have to follow HIA concussion policy (11 day stand-down from training and playing)

1 Like

It was almost as if the team was through with toughing it out thru the mid-season period, playing in that time mostly defensive and conservative in nature, albeit with an un-characteristic low completion level, and someone pushed the GO button and it was all guns a blazing.

What a comprehensive performance across the park. The only downsides were the injuries to Fish & Laurie. Special kudos to Mav Geyer, who, playing in an unfamiliar left centre position, for the first time to my mind, showed he has what he takes to be in 1st grade. The way that Casey & he, along with Turuva’s move to FB, just seemingly adjusted as if it was situation normal, speaks so highly of our system.

We dominated everywhere & again we saw that much vaunted opponents fail to deliver under the pressures we continue to apply - it is easy to look good when you are dominating, but much harder when you meet tough opposition who give you nothing. Pre-game, the real danger for us was that Hunt having one of his pixey-dust games & yet he was pressured from the start & produced probably the worst game he has ever played.
Great across the park, & NC again showed that he is the best in the game. Hard to select just 2 others for the votes!!!
It is starting to feel like 21, 22 & 23 again. Is the Fourpeat a real chance? Do we dare to dream? Let’s just enjoy the rest of the season :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am bemused - how was the hit on Daine Laurie substantively different from Suaalii on Walsh in SoO1?

1 Like

It’s a sin bin any day of the week. How Mat Feagai wasn’t marched is beyond my knowledge. He even got a handy HIA as a result of it as well.

Ivan wasn’t too impressed about it in the post game conference.

1 Like

Anyone else surprised that Lomax’s tackle on Cleary was given the all clear?

He got picked up horizontal (maybe slightly higher) to like waist-chest high and then literally thrown to the ground.

Zero care, he wanted to put him down hard.

2 Likes

We are refereed differently because of our ability to overcome the issue. It’s not good, but I just hope in the big games the refereeing is fair and just and the best side wins…i.e. The Pan4’s

2 Likes

From watching the replay what I can say is that the Dragons would be close to the most ill disciplined side in the NRL. No care in their tackling technique and just generally sloppy in defence. It’s no surprise they had 4 on report (they should have had one in the bin too).

1 Like