[2022] R21 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R21 Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue GIO Stadium, Canberra ACT
:clock10: Time Saturday 6th August 2022 5:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v Western Suburbs Magpies 6/8 1:00pm1
JFLEGG Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers 6/8 11:00am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 8°C (19% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Cup fixtures to be played at Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries Apisai Koroisau, Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Jaeman Salmon.
Goals Stephen Crichton (5/5)
Canberra Raiders 6 Tries Josh Papalii.
Goals Jamal Fogarty (1/1)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 56 Tries Daeon Amituanai (3), Isaiah Iongi (2), Thomas Jenkins (2), Preston Riki, Mavrik Geyer, Jack Cole.
Goals Kurt Falls (7/9), Jack Cole (1/1)
Western Suburbs Magpies 6 Tries Jacob Liddle.
Goals Zane Camroux (1/1)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 10 Tries Zac Lipowicz, Samuel Lane.
Goals Addison Williams (2/2)
Wests Tigers 34 Tries Sione Vaihu, Michael Tannous, James Valevatu, Livai Saukuru.
Goals Livai Saukuru (4/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

OAK PLUS GALLERY

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Raiders v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v WS Magpies :rugby_football: Panthers v Tigers
:clock3: Saturday 6/8 5:30am :clock3: Saturday 6/8 1:00pm :clock3: Saturday 6/8 11:00am
:stadium: GIO Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Bluebet Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. William Fakatoumafi
2. Taylan May 2. Christian Crichton 2. Cody Lawson
3. Izack Tago 3. Sunia Turuva 3. Sam Lane
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Thomas Jenkins 4. Harry Hassett
5. Brian To’O 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Addison Williams
6. Jaeman Salmon 6. Jack Cole 6. Niwhai Puru
7. Sean O’Sullivan 7. Kurt Falls 7. Keagan Russell-Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Eddie Blacker 8. Mavrik Geyer
9. Apisai Koroisau 9. Soni Luke 9. Ryley Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Lindsay Smith 10. Brad Fearnley
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Preston Riki 11. Zac Lipowicz
12. Liam Martin 12. Chris Smith 12. Sunita Lotoaniu
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. J’Maine Hopgood 13. Hohepa Puru
INTERCHANGE
14. Mitch Kenny 14. Jarrod Brackenhoffer 14. Mason Teague
15. Scott Sorensen 15. Liam Henry 15. Ilai Tuia
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Alec Susino 16. Hanna El-Nachar
17. Charlie Staines 17. John Faiumu 17. Jack Garrod
RESERVES 18. Ativalu Lisati 19. Aston Warwick
18. Sunia Turuva 20. Tyreece Tonga
19. Matt Eisenhuth
20. Chris Smith
21. Kurt Falls
22. Lindsay Smith
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace HC Jono Rolfe
AC Andrew Webster AC Kevin Kingston
AC Cameron Ciraldo

:small_orange_diamond: Positional Change       :small_red_triangle: Moved into squad       :small_red_triangle_down: Moved out of Squad       ✚ Injury or Medical Related

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Grant Atkins Daniel Luttringe Cameron Turner
Sideline Official Liam Kennedy Ben Teague Ben Teague
David Munro Rickey McFarlane Rickey McFarlane
Video Referee Gerard Sutton - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2022 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Grant Atkins 2011 (1/1) 100% (17/23) 73.91% 117 98.5 1.19

:mega: Teams and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

Falls at 7 in reggies…must rate Salmon as a half. I haven’t seen it yet but happy to be entertained with his capabilities this weekend, will be a brutal game i reckon, maybe he has been selected defensively.

Is Falls to #6, Salmon to bench and Staines to drop a potential late change?

Not sure why Salmon would be ahead of Falls assuming fitness is OK, but then both teams are playing the same day.

Staines on the bench (again) is an interesting one. I thought last week was to cover Kenny (was surprised it was Soni), but perhaps not.

Will leave it with the coach.

1 Like

I’m not sure if Falls will lineup… I’m sure they will give him to game day to prove his fitness. The bruise he had suffered wasn’t pretty, and it does take some time to recover.

Salmon is a more than capable replacement, what he lacks in attack he more than makes up for in defence, if this match comes down to a grind, he will be up for the challenge.

We just need to keep in mind… just 2 or 3 more wins and we lock away the minor premiership. That’s it.

2 Likes

As much as i love falls, i think Mini Fish is a better overall player, and has filled in marvelously in multiple positions this year. He’s the 22’ version of Tyrone May, who Ivan picked religiously. I would love to see Turuva get a crack somewhere in the side.

1 Like

Turuva set for his debut this weekend off the bench.

Kikau is being rested , with Chris Smith taking his place.

this’ll be a tough match up with or without Cleary and Luai ,always is in Canberra. Kikau’'s absence sure don’t help. Fingers crossed our blokes do us proud. :sunglasses:

Thats interesting news about Kikau being rested.
I personally wouldn’t have Staines anywhere near the top 20 and don’t see what he could or would add in any position.
On salmon, i am not sure he has the passing game to be at 6, he seems ok to come off the bench but to play 80 at 6 i believe is a big ask. Maybe Kenny at 6 with Salmon on the bench could be a better option, he can pass and defend and has some short distance speed.

Raiders will be up for this on so many levels, we might all recall how we mocked the Viking clap, plus how we humiliated them in the 2nd half with brutal defence last game at home.

Stuart will not have to do much to motivate them, indeed i feel his task will be for them to measure what they do so they don’t blow themselves out too early.

Cleary on the other hand has to get the team to think for themselves without the guidance of Nathan and hopefully SOS lifts because he went missing when Cleary went off last week.

I don’t share the view we can accept some losses and limp toward a minor premiership…to me the team who takes the field have to have the belief and understanding this could be the side which goes into the finals…who is to say Laui returns fit and ready and indeed if even Nathan comes back 100% ready physically and mentally.

I hope they do but we have to believe who we are putting out on the park will be good enough to win the comp.

If we feel we cannot win missing 2 key players we are in real trouble. I know they are both super players but Cleary (Ivan) could argue to his squad what if Nathan is sent off again or Luai is hurt in a game…its not about waiting for them to come back, its about this team getting the job done.
we might learn more about the squad without Nathan and Luai and the team may learn more about themselves which will be a great outcome.

1 Like

NSW cup wins 56-6.

Charlie Staines MOTM by a country mile.

Falls makes a great return from injury.

Tom Jenkins and Lindsay Smith can’t be far from first grade.

The future looks very very bright

3 Likes

this game is full of errors from both sides. Whoever holds on to the damn ball could go on with it. It’s awful.

1 Like

Happy with our effort, even if execution hasn’t been the best.

I think the JFH sin bin was a bit soft, penalty at best. I think we learned a lot from last week, and it has helped us while a man short.

Hoping Edwards isn’t injured, he has probably been our best so far.

2 Likes

2 weeks in a row having to play with 12 albeit only for 10 but we responded better this time.

I doubt the JFH hit was worthy of the bin as well as report and how about the Rapana “trip” and his shoulder charge on Edwards?

Hope Edwards is OK but fear when he cools down he might be in trouble

the boys are going Ok and if we can hang in there for the next 20 we should roll over them

Its rugged and conditions are not helping for an open fast game but will suite likes of Api.

2 Likes

if Edwards is off we call for a reshuffle.

Crichton to FB and Salmon to centre with Kenny to 6?

1 Like

Edwards back out there, we will see how he goes. Mightn’t have been much. Might be worth testing him in the back end if we get a decent lead (not that I’m expecting it)

I think Cotric’s shot on Edwards might have been worth a bit more than 10!!!

Chricton to fullback, Turuva to centre maybe?

Or possibly Chricton fullback, Turuva wing, May or To’o to centre.

Panthers second half was light years ahead of the first half. Our team are amazing.
You know Cleary could ask for volunteers at the club and they’d still give a good account of themselves.

Ricky Stuart, he needs to look for a new job. !

4 Likes

Great effort without 3 of our biggest names. Hopefully this will silence the naysayers.

Kudos to Edwards in particular. He took a lot of punishment, lasted the 80 & was close to, if not our best.

2 Likes