[2024] R23 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

Team confirmed as 1-17 as named.

Lining up the 2 teams, player to player, we look to have the edge pretty well across the park. That said, the local derbies have never really seemed to follow the course, and both teams have often sprung surprise performances against one another. So, I expect another game against another team coming to hunt us, and we will need to play close to our best to ensure a win.

Hoping for a quick start as we did against the dragons, rather than slugging it out like the knights game & that the ref and bunker, and even the blind flaggie, play a lesser role in deciding the outcome than last week.

We should win & set up a showdown next week. The minor premiership would be good, but will be happy with a top 2 finish to go into Sept.

Onwards & upwards. Cā€™mon boys!!

2 Likes

We have to flog these imposters - Iā€™m getting on it with some of their supportersā€¦need to be able to give it to em all night :rofl:

Team Update: Late Changes

Team will take the field as listed 1-17. Jack Cole, Isaiah Iongi and Luke Sommerton drop off the bench and will line up for NSW Cup.

The Panthers will be wearing the Away Strip for this match.

Parra have come to play, and have taken their opportunities. Injuries havenā€™t been kind to us, but it appears all bar Soro will be right to play on. I can see this going to GP.

Did we put Leota in the cloning machine and have Patea come out? :rofl:

1 Like

A demonstration on how to play crap for 70 minutes and still win the game.

2 Likes

How the hell did we get out of that!!!

The 20 mins after half time was probably the worst 20 we have played in years. It goes to show the resolve of the team that they were able to come back from that.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Iā€™m still coming to grips with what just happened. No matter what this team is simply never dead. Such an incredible team we have to support. Love them all.

3 Likes

A comeback for the ages which will send shivers of fear through opposing teams - no matter how much better you play, when we shift into top gear we can run over the top of anything.

All good comebacks start with a big play, in this case Kenny with his rib rattling tackle on RCG. Considering he played big minutes at lock due to Huthā€™s injury made his contribution all the more impressive.

Yeo was again outstanding as always, playing in the prop role for big minutes.

Toā€™o is a freak as always.

At the beginning of the year, we would never have picked Toleau as our 14, but gee he has stood head and shoulders above above others in that position. Not bad for a journey man Flegg halfback to work his way into the backup hooker role.

For all of 18, Casey looks irreplaceable for the run on 13. Every bit a first grader.

Now for the negatives;

Whatā€™s with the referring being over technical with penalising us? Yet the much rumoured crack down on downtown is non-existent?

Itā€™s ridiculous that Martin may miss a week due to brushing a kickers leg, with no malice or injury, yet Huth can be dealt out of the game with a very dangerous shoulder to his unprotected lower spine, and not even a penalty? Surely the judiciary should focus on intent, actual injury, then potential injury, not just technicalities.

We saw both versions of Tago last night, he really needs to keep his rushing out of the line in check, and trust Cleary to make the tackle. At his best he is a beast though.

I donā€™t think I will miss Turuva next year, while his attack is ok, he really hasnā€™t kicked on with his defence.

Jerome had a brain fart moment but otherwise played ok.

Laurie is still a mystery to me, he can produce silky game changing moments, yet at other times look lost and not at first grade level. This would be ok if he was still a kid, but he has played first grade a few years now. I do hope the coaching staff work with him, to take the rubbish out of his game, improve his defence, and generally polish him into a first grader. Great resilience in the kid though.

3 tries in 3 minutes! Let all other teams be on notice!

Bring on the Storm!

2 Likes

While I would concede we were a little less disciplined than usual, the referee was atrocious.

The ref couldnā€™t his whistle in his pocket, you could have sworn he was auditioning for a movie the amount of face time he got with the camera.

Luai wonā€™t even get to the MRC over the ā€œkneee in that backā€, and there will be enough evidence to keep Marto at a Category 1 (or enough to downgrade it to Cat 1 if the charge is higher)

2 Likes

I like the look of Patea, he reminds me of a young Leota. With the loss of JFH at the end of the season we need a good 4th prop, and he looks like he will fill that spot.

1 Like

Regarding Laurie, I thought he was one of the best in the field last night. A hiccup in the first set, but overall his number were impressive for a team that had very little ball throughout the game.

I do agree he can be a little ā€œRocks and Diamondsā€ but recent form is more diamonds than rocks.

I think it has to do with the system he had come from at the Tigers, Garner was similar. But both are progressing well. The Penrith system has done well getting players from clubs with poor coaching practices (like Tigers and Bulldogs) and bringing the best out of them.

3 Likes

Well, any time we beat the slimies is great. Back in the dark days I can remember thinking that we havenā€™t had a good year, but we beat Parra twice, so lifeā€™s not all bad :slight_smile:

The question may not be how did we manage to win that in last few minutes, but how the hell did we get to where we were with 10mins to go? We made too many errors, some poor decisions & efforts in defense & seem to run foul of the officials too often, & somehow got the bikkies!!!

Parra were playing their GF and celebrated winning the trophy when they scored their final try, making the final result even more satisfying.

Two points banked and a big game on Thursday, which looks to be impacted by injuries & suspensions, so we just continue on.

Onwards & upwards.

3 Likes

Not at home for the game so didnā€™t get to start watching until just before half time with us leading 14 12. Stopped watching when Parra scored their last try. Imagine how dirty I was when I found out the result.

1 Like

I usually like to wait a few days after a win, then enjoy a replay on Kayo. I donā€™t think that Iā€™m that much of a masochist to do that this week, unless I do a heap of fast-forwarding. Were the first 70 or so minutes the worst that our top team has played over the past 5 years? Respect for possession was little on display, and there seems to be only a passing acquaintance with the rules of the game.

Turuva is penalised for an miscued self preservation action that did not cause any injury; did he even make contact with the defender? But a few years back Oates put his spikes into Mansourā€™s face, with a terrible result. And the outcome was ā€“ drumroll ā€“ nothing to see here, folks.

Tango must be a coachā€™s nightmare, the epitome of rocks and diamonds. His rushing up and in is sometimes spot-on, but this year has more often led to a gift try and an invitation to every other NRL opponent to attack down that side.

Our forward stocks are starting to look thin, with a bunch unavailable this week. Against Melbourne, with their monsters, that could be a deciding factor. If any more go down before the finals, it will really test our depth.

And in the midst of the carnage against Parra, Yeo stood tall, yet again. Is there any characteristic of a leader that he doesnā€™t display, week in, week out?

Final comment ; With a bit of a reference to the gutless act on Eisenhuth (like James on RCG a few years back), there is an aspect of the third-man-in furore that is never mentioned. The media pontificate about the height and speed of the third man, but the key aspect has never been mentioned (to my knowledge). This is ā€˜directionā€™. The knees are hinge joints. A hit from in front could end a career. A hit from the side could be the same. But a hit from behind would generally fold the knee in, with little damage if any.

2 Likes

HOW GOOD !

I was with Yuk fans watching the game at the club, when Marto went off, even they said woo hoo 14 against 12ā€¦