[2021] R25 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Parramatta Eels v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue CBUS Super Stadium, Robina QLD
:clock10: Time Friday 9th September 2021 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via NRL.com
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud_with_rain: Showers 17°C (45% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine HD (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40 Tries Brian To’o (3), Tevita Pangai Junior, Matt Burton, Apisai Koroisau, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (6/7)
Parramatta Eels 6 Tries Tom Opacic.
Goals Blake Ferguson (1/1)

:trophy: Dally M Points

Votes are now undisclosed

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

PHOTO GALLERY

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Eels v Panthers
:clock3: Friday 2/9 7:55pm
:stadium: CBUS Super Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Stephen Crichton
3. Paul Momirovski
4. Matt Burton
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary ©
8. Moses Leota
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Isaah Yeo ©
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Scott Sorensen
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Liam Martin
RESERVES
18. Spencer Leniu :small_red_triangle_down:
19. Izack Tago
20. Taylan May :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Mitch Kenny
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary
AC Andrew Webster
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Adam Gee
Sideline Official Peter Gough
Jon Stone
Video Referee Ashley Klein

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (1/1) 100% (11/21) 52.4% 97.5 87.5 1.11

:mega: Team List and Match Officials have been updated.

Has anyone seen the shit team the featherweenies are rolling out Friday night?

This should be a very nice training run before the finals. Just worried about NC :woozy_face:

I think the Storm game will determine what happens. If the Storm win, then when the Panthers get out to a decent lead, they will start resting players I think.

If the Storm lose, then they may play with the full squad and go for the Minor Premiership.

2 Likes

Let the Storm be the Storm but rest some Panthers.

The Minor Premiership is just that, ‘minor’. Our focus should be on the final series. Keep ‘em guessing as to how well or bad we’re goin till it matters. Don’t give anything away.

I’d like to know how our fringe players are performing coz
ultimately our bench has a huge role to play cum finals time.

1 Like

We were out coached in last years decider, not outplayed !

2 Likes

Agree 100% Puss, BUT you also need to have your TEAM cohesion on song to be competitive.

We have had a pretty disjointed month or so with various players in and out, last week was our first ‘A’ team hit out and it definitely showed. This game Friday night should play us back into our groove, the only issue is, if we are not allowed to play the game at our speed, it will hinder the cohesion. This is again on the Refs, not our fault if they are 2nd grade, let us continue to play 1st grade.

3 Likes

Agree to disagree Kevin. It’s not the refs job to play us into form.
So I’m back to coaching … isn’t it the coaches job to fine tune them?

1 Like

I agree with @Kevin. It isn’t time to rest players.

If the guys went out there last week and laid 70 points on the Tigers in a flawless effort, I’d say “Sure why not rest a few”. What happened last week was far from flawless. Dare I say if we put that performance up on Week 1 of the finals, we wouldn’t be walking away with a win.

All the time we can get these guys out on the middle of the field before the finals, we should be doing it. I’m not sure what more another week would do them, but it would have to be better than benching them.

I have heard some Panther fans say we should no go for the Minor Premiership cause I would set up up with a match against Manly rather than Souths. I say, if we have that attitude as a team, we are no chance of winning it, we need to know that we can beat any team left in the finals race.

2 Likes

No it’s not, but it is their job to referee 1st grade and that means, if a team is not up to standard, they will get lapped. I wonder how the ruck will be refereed for them Friday night, the only way to stop us putting 50 on em is lay all over us in the ruck, 6 agains will be 15 zip, and if that is the case how many will go to the bin?

Agree with Steve 100% re our form, besides, we win week 1 of the finals, we get a week off then, why would you want your core group to have 2 weeks from 4 on the sideline?

1 Like

Virtually our entire side has had time out in the last 2 months, unless someone has a niggle that could do with a rest, they should be all playing. Our backline wasn’t too cohesive against the Tigers, and needs game time together to get their mojo back.

As for the debate of finishing first or second, the way I see it we are going to have to beat Melbourne, Souths & Manly to win the premiership. It would probably be better to play Manly in week 1 than week 3 or 4.

2 Likes

“ but rest SOME Panthers “ !

If as suggested the feather weenies field an under strength side and
we provide another clunky performance a ‘la Tigers, where to then ?
Nothin wrong with our forwards, it’s the backs that need to stand up.

I don’t follow Puss, if our backline struggles again this week, isn’t that better than struggling the week after, which is week 1 of the finals.

The extra real game time hit out can only be a positive to tighten some loose screws.

My 1 and ONLY concern is NC shoulder, the weenies don’t have anything to lose if they send a 2 bob part timer out to target NC, it will benefit every other team as well.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

and yes Cleary’s shoulder is a worry.

Knew you’d see it my way :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t.

But at the end of the day we both want a premiership victory.
How that ‘s achieved is debatable. These blokes are highly paid professionals who also want to win. To me a run out against Parra’s Reserves carries a risk that may not be necessary.

But I still luv ya. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

i think worrying about who the opposition run out is moot, we have to focus on our game and the main prize.
The hype from the media is now around the Minor Premiership…i couldn’t care less and sure would be nice but history shows what that meant last year.
We have finally got our best squad back and reviewing we have had quite a few who have had breaks and some quite lengthy such as Too and we are not alone in having players carrying niggles or indeed concerns such as NC but we have to manage what we have

What we need is the squad to now build and focus all our efforts on getting through each and every game in front of us and it was touched on here already, who we play is also unimportant, we will have to beat someone to get to the GF and then it is up to IC to prepare the team for the GF, but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

We need to execute our game plan against the Eels and we need to play at the level which will be required in the finals.
I really believe we have the team this year and through a strange set of events we have got a full strength squad back at the right time…its up to the boys now to aim up and build into a GF and that will require just like any athlete being at your best when it counts and we now have to do what us diehards know is capable of this squad.
This is an exceptional squad and i am so impressed with this team, they stand out to me much like our first ever winning squad…on the day we were unbeatable.

These boys have to make their own claim and this week is a small step towards that.Who cares who we have to face, respect the opposition and control your own destiny.

2 Likes

Spot on. We just need to make sure we win our next 4 games then all will be right with the world.

4 Likes

Usually not a huge fan of the Fox League match vignettes they do, I think they are a bit hyped… but the one this week about Brian To’o was spot on.

2 Likes