[2022] R8 Titans v Panthers - Game Day Thread

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries Sunia Turuva, Jā€™maine Hopgood, Preston Riki, Lindsay Smith.
Goals Kurt Falls (5/5)
Newtown Jets 12 Tries Luke Metcalf, Franklin Pele.
Goals Luke Metcalf (2/2)

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP REPORT

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 36 Tries Daeon Amituanai (2), Hohepa Puru, Zac Lipowicz, William Fakatoumafi, Connor Mason, Isaiah Iongi.
Goals Niwhai Puru (4/7)
Cronulla Sharks 16 Tries Jordan Samrani (2), Trentham Petersen.
Goals Ryan Rivett (2/3)

JERSEY FLEGG CUP REPORT

This was my issue - did you see our group at the warm up, they were spentā€¦Our tactics pre game need to be reviewed based on location. The Sharks Thursday night were stuffed before half time also, sucked in to the Darwin losers :rofl: they deserved to get pumpedā€¦

Just on the refereeing, not very often you get Blocker as one sided, but even he was having something to say about the decisions. At one point I heard him say, The Titans are being allowed to lay all over them.

IMO that was our ā€˜loss we had to haveā€™ however we came away with the win. Our boys will aim up this week, you will see a semi final style game plan. GO THE PANTHERS

2 Likes

Too right @Kevin.

It was good we managed to get it together and ride it out. The conditions were terrible, and he humidity clearly was giving the Queensland sides a boost.

The game in Darwin was even worseā€¦ the Eels looked gassed about 20 minutes in. They collapsed under the weight of the humidity. Not to discount the Cowboys, best game they played in years, but the Eels were never clawing back that game. They were spent.

It will be interesting this Friday. Two teams that played in pretty humid (70%+) conditions. It will be interesting to see how they both recover.

3 Likes

I thought our forwards played well for the most park - Martin certainly played out of his skin.

The backs not so much (aside Cleary and Edwards), although Staines for mine played a solid game, and I am starting to think Toā€™o will replace May as he is starting to look a bit fatigued from playing first grade (not that you can blame him with limited games over tha last two years, and this being his first year in first grade.

The wind and humidity sure played an effect. The cross field breeze saw a few late moving balls dropped form kicks.

Was the short turnaround and jet lag the reason for us being a bit down, or weā€™re we taking them from granted and had a poor mental attitude? We will never know.

All that said I would much rather us win a game playing poorly, than get lapped like what happened to Parra and the Sharks.

I think this near loss will do us a world of good going into Fridays game.

3 Likes

I think our team handled the conditions much better than the eels. So I expect their recovery to be better.

1 Like

The Hertz play of the week is a no brainer this week.