[2018] R16 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread

This Weekend Matches          
:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Manly Sea Eagles
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 30th June 2018 3:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:rugby_football: Other Matches Intrust Super Premiership - Panthers v Workers 12:45pm
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 12:25pm
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) LIVE
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass LIVE
:radio: ABC 702AM LIVE
:radio: Triple M 104.9FM LIVE

Makes sure you get out to Panthers Stadium today to give thanks to skipper Peter Wallace and congratulate him on a spectacular career. Get in early and score a limited edition Peter Wallace poster.

FULL TIME

Telstra Premiership
Manly Sea Eagles 18 Joel Thompson, Matthew Wright, Trent Hodkinson Tries
Trent Hodkinson (2/3) Cherry-Evans (1/1) Goals
Penrith Panthers 10 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak Try
James Maloney (3/3) Goals

Intrust Super Premiership
Penrith Panthers 26 Ratu Tuisese (2), Corey Waddell, Maika Sivo, Adam Keighran Tries
Adam Keighran (3/5) Goals
Blacktown Workers 16 Toafofoa Sipley (2), Honeti Tuha Tries
Joey Lussick (1/1) Goal

PRESS CONFERENCE
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/06/30/press-conference-round-16/
PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/06/30/scrappy-panthers-defeated-by-sea-eagles/
MATCH REPORT
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/06/30/match-report-panthers-v-manly/
HIGHLIGHTS
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/07/01/extended-highlights-round-16/

So far this game is reminding me of game one last year.

Hopefully we lift, hold onto the ball, and put some more effort in.

Simple football will win this

Simply awful I’m afraid

I do hope this isn’t the start of a slide but I think my head I starting to rule my heart with this and our last few performances.

I think it’s obvious now our fill in wingers are not up to first grade standard, and our fill in fullback is not a fullback at all.

For the most parts our forwards looked tired, Tahmou, Merrin and Yeo excepted, and while he was on the field, Kikao showed good form.

As controversial this may be, I think Egan is winning the race for the 9.

Again it may be premature, but it would appear that Cleary has his mind on other than football, and unfortunately no team can perform week in week out with only one half.

I do hope we can turn this around, and the return of Mansour and Blake will certainly be welcomed.

For mine, Whare was our best, but not even Inglass can win a game from centre.

The simple things like ball handling and tackles failed us, and we lost the middle.

Well I wouldn’t be a panther fan if I haven’t seen it before lol.

Hope we improve from here in

1 Like

Manly were very ordinary today. Unfortunately they didn’t need to be any better to beat us. We never looked interested from the start, and were made to pay for it.

We missed RCG’s work up front, but we are going to have to learn to play without him over the next few weeks if we want any hope of being a top 4 side.

We seem to have been sliding ever since our victory over the Dragons a few weeks ago. We got a lucky escape against the Raiders, and were punished by the Roosters last week. I doubt we liked have beaten anyone today.

1 Like

With the benefit of hindsight, maybe hook will realise it wasn’t the best idea to play jet-lagged players.

Certainly it wasn’t a game to remember. It’s becoming obvious that fatigue is starting to be an issue. Couldn’t fault the forwards today, they gave it their all. Manly did well to ensure DWZ got as little ball as possible, short kick on field and generally away from him, I think they were looking to take advantage of his rep round fatigue/jetlag and it worked.

The backs look tired, and the lack of experience on our wings is also becoming apparent, hopefully the return of Blake and Mansour in the coming week will remedy that.

My main concern is the halves, a heavy workload in Origin, a tough draw coming up and no more byes. They look tired and fatigued, but when do you rest them?

The dwindling forward stock are also a concern, McKendry, Campbell-Gillard on the injury list and Browne due to forced retirement. Was good to hear Kikau’s knee injury wasn’t as bad as it looked on field.

Hopefully post origin and the return of key injured players that the turbulence will settle and we can make a good shake at the run to the finals.

:mega: NOTE: Scores, media reports and highlights added to top of thread

1 Like

Agree with the winger statements.

We were simply tired, played tired, no energy.

I honestly don’t think it is as bad as everyone is making out. We had a moment when Cleary took the line on, made a half break and DCE cut him down from behind. It was right in front of me and it was clear that DCE’s attitude was far better than I have seen before, maybe he had a call saying step up and your in…If Cleary gets clear and or is able to offload (winger wasn’t there) the result is completely different.

Just on Egan, he does look the goods, but I noticed he was trying to do too much “off the cuff” stuff from dummy half. On a couple of occasions he made his own decisions from dummy half that didn’t come off. I applaud his theories, but not if it’s at the detriment of the team, particularly when we are in their 20.

If I was hook, I would give both Cleary and Maloney the week off after Origin. A. they certainly need it and B this side needs to realise the importance of these 2 play makers. It won’t happen but you can’t really tell them to take a couple of days off training either, it’s the same principal. In my humble opinion, we don’t protect these 2 the way other teams do their halves. If they run to the line, they need aggressive options, not delayed runners that are half arsed, which in turn means they take the tackle themselves. Just my 2 bobs !

2 Likes