:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra Dragons
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 19th July 2019 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 5:50pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches U16’s Junior League 6:05pm
CCN Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights 20/7 12:45pm*
JFC Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights 20/7 2:50pm*
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 8°C (5% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine HD [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

* Jersey Flegg & Canterbury Cup and Panthers Stadium on Saturday 20/7

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40 Tries Brian To’o (2), Brent Naden (2), Moses Leota, Nathan Cleary, Reagan Campbell-Gillard
Goals Nathan Cleary (6/7)
St George Illawarra Dragons 18 Tries Mikaele Ravalawa, Josh Kerr, Paul Vaughan
Goals Corey Norman (3/3))

:rugby_football: Canterbury Cup NSW | Full Time

Newcastle Knights 30 Tries Tex Hoy (2), Mitchell Andrews, Chris Randall, Jirah Momoisea
Goals Mason Lino (5/5)
Penrith Panthers 22 Tries William Burns (2), Matt Burton, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
Goals Jed Cartwright (1/1), Dean Blore (2/3)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 42 Tries Adam Fearnley (2), Justin Jones (2), Thomas Lofts, Shannon Harris, Luke Geary
Goals Glenn McGrady (7/7)
Newcastle Knights 12 Tries Timanu Alexander, Luke Huth, Matthew Moon
Goals Bayden Searle (0/3)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://discourse.pantherpride.com.au/t/round-18-v-dragons-motm/370

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Dragons :rugby_football: Panthers v Knights :rugby_football: Panthers v Knights
:clock3: Friday 19/7 7.55pm :clock3: Saturday 20/7 12.45pm :clock3: Saturday 20/7 2.50pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Charlie Staines 1. Glenn Mcgrady
2. Josh Mansour 2. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 2. Justin Jones
3. Dean Whare 3. Stephen Crichton 3. Jake Tago
4. Brent Naden 4. Brayden Mcgrady 4. Shannon Harris
5. Brian To’o 5. Matheson Johns 5. Thomas Lofts
6. James Maloney 6. Matt Burton 6. Adam Fearnley
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Dean Blore 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Spencer Leniu 8. Brad Gaut
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Reed Izzard 9. Maurice Trindall
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Kaide Ellis 10. Lindsay Smith
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Billy Burns 11. Alex Myles
12. Frank Winterstein 12. Jed Cartwright 12. Terrell May
13. Isaah Yeo 13. Hame Sele 13. J’Maine Hopgood (C)
INTERCHANGE
14. Wayde Egan 14. Pat Hollis 14. Hayden Bonnano
15. Jarome Luai 15. Sam Mckendry 15. Jack Quinn
16. Moses Leota 16. Tyrell Fuimaono 16. Jayden Tanner
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 17. Paea Pua 17. Ratu Nanovo
RESERVES
18. Hame Sele 18. John Trimboli
19. Jed Cartwright
20. Kaide Ellis
21. Stephen Crichton
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Grant Atkins Drew Oultram Mitchell Currie
Jon Stone - -
Sideline Official Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski Adam Reid Tom Stindl
Nick Morel Mitchell Stone Lyndsay Packer
Video Referee Steve Chiddy - -
Ben Lowe - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Grant Atkins 2011 (1/2) 50.00% (10/15) 66.67% 59 63.5 0.93
Jon Stone 2016 (2/3) 66.67% (3/6) 50.00% 23 22 1.09

Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Josh Mansour 3. Dean Whare 4. Brent Naden 5. Brian To’o 6. James Maloney 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Frank Winterstein 13. Isaah Yeo

Interchange: 14. Wayde Egan 15. Jarome Luai 16. Moses Leota 17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard

Reserves: 18. Hame Sele 19. Jed Cartwright 20. Kaide Ellis 21. Stephen Crichton

3 halves, 2 hookers in top 17.

There’s a forward or two that’ll tire!

What happened to Liam Martin ???

Martin got injured at training last week (quad I think), should be back in the next 2 weeks

Tonights game possibly more than any so far this year will give us an insight into our team and more importantly the players attitude and hunger to succeed in this years competition

Dragons season will be all but over if we win and i doubt they will surrender the win to us without a dog fight and our team cannot bask in the history of winning our last few. its all about winning our next few and beyond.

We have managed the SOO period surprisingly well and we are in the final 3rd of the season, with all teams carrying bumps and bruises plus some players from SOO even a little metal exhausted but this is where desire to win comes to the fore and a teams hunger for the title begins to show.

Oddly enough the Top 8 will see little if any change this week as most Top 8 teams play each other but some games such as this for us gives us the opportunity to correct our “for and against” which could really hurt us if we keep on winning.

Will be bitterly cold tonight but conditions should be good for both teams.

I will be looking to more about our attitude tonight…i want to see if the boys “believe”

1 Like

Completely agree SBF, while I don’t believe this game will be easy, all things considering I am expecting a performance not unlike our season best performance against the dragons last year.

Resting Hunt and playing Nichols is either not respecting us or handing in the towel. That said I actually rated Nichols when he played with us, but he doesn’t seem to have been a success with the Dragons.

Penrith 21-0 is my pick.

I’m expecting another nail biter. The Dragons season is on the line, and while we have won 6 in a row, we have been far from convincing. I’m tipping a 7 point win, with the field goal on the last 2-3 minutes to seal it.

Anyone else finding the beer and food lines ridiculously long tonight?

1 Like

No - under the eastern stand max 4 people in front of me, went their 4 times ha haaa

Mitch Kenny - UNDEFEATED :star_struck:

Guess I should of tried there, southern and western kiosks were packed until the game started.

Great win by the boys, kinda wish we had gone on with it rather than playing safe the last 20. Loved the fact we scored our last try with 2 hookers and 3 halves on the field.

Dragons were pretty woeful though, but then again you can only play what’s in front of you.

7 wins on the trot, bring on the Raiders!

:mega: Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://discourse.pantherpride.com.au/t/round-18-v-dragons-motm/370

well i along with 13600 other brave fans saw a Panthers team completely dominate a Dragons side full of SOO and Rep players

Despite dubious ref calls (again) there were a few things which impressed me and ticked the boxes in what i was hoping to see.

Gillard has his best game this year and Cleary’s return from injury was brilliant but it was our desperation when Kikau was stupidly sin binned where i took most out for he game…we defended like champions when he was off and we could have easily let in soft tries because they lifted then but we were very impressive in the hunger to hold them out.

Last night i saw a very happy team, sure we still need to improve but its there and it is a remarkable turnaround from only 7 weeks ago and its hard to believe the departure of DWZ and Blake has made such a difference and we have players like Martin still to come back.

But there is nothing like winning despite some very shaky wins last night was none of those…we dominated in every facet of the game and we were hungrier, ran harder, kicked better in general play and in their red zone and we defended better.

Was it a masterclass…not in anyway but it is a huge step in the right direction with players beginning to have confidence in their team mates and it showed last night with even Mansour having a great game in defence with 2 bell ringers which needed to be made and Gillard running with conviction and being rewarded with a try.

We also got a nice lift in our for and against and are now almost without parallel just 1 win outside the Top 4

Next week its the Raiders in a 4PM showdown at Panthers which will be the definitive marker on where we are at this year…Raiders are going great and will be a real contest

For now…enjoy boys you deserved last night because it was won on your effort and belief.

A brilliant result for all on the field and behind the scenes…hope all the boys are right after the match and have a added few days turnaround before we meet Raiders

Lastly on the refs…Panthers will have to ready themselves for when any tough call might/could/should go our way it won’t…case in point i think Leota scores under the posts and the Duffty shoulder on Naden was either a penalty try and if not awarded we should have had a penalty and Duffty getting 10 mins for a professional foul…there were others but we will have to prepare ourselves for having every bad call.

We overcame those setbacks last night but in a crucial game like a final it could really hurt us, but if we are prepared mentally as they did last night, adversity is something we can use to our advantage

The refs last night should be fined for their stuff ups…and that includes the clowns in the bunker

2 Likes

It was clearly evident to me, the dragons are playing as individuals not as a team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Frizell wants out.

that would diminish what we did to the Dragons last night

we have had our own share of distractions and it not fair to add their woes or potential woes to why we won

we destroyed them last night plain and simple…whaever issues they make have are their own

we had a great team of Panthers on the paddock last might…who are only in my opinion beginning to understand what they are capable of.

Not sure what to say there SBF, just stating the obvious, we were in a similar boat at the start of the year.

I really liked the way Maloney got stuck in verbally as well, he was on fire and IMO put a couple of em off their games. At one stage Graham tried to stop him from getting stuck in - it was gold.

… pleasantly surprised at our resurgence but not getting carried away.
We’ve accounted for an under strength chooks and edged nail biters
v Rabbits & Warriors. Our confidence is on the rise and we won & won
well last night. Nads & toto have been a real find and their form along with Edwards in the backline has given us some penetration we didn’t possess earlier this season. Kenny a real live wire has also contributed to a new
found enthusiasm & determination. I agree with SBF next week v Raiders
will pose a sterner test, a test we’re up to IMO.

Result either way, we will all blame the refs and probably rightly so given recent weeks

I was a bit skeptical having Luai on the bench but it turned out the be a master stroke.

When Maloney, Cleary and Laui were on the field the Dragons defence was in two (maybe three) minds. No matter how the decided to defend them the three would switch it up. One occasion the defensive line read that Maloney would feed the ball to Luai and then Maloney grubbers the ball over the line for Cleary, having a third half on the field was bamboozling the defensive line and lead to the second half capitulation of the the Dragons.

Will it work against the Raiders, I would like to think so, but do you risk having another half on the bench against a big Raiders pack?

That will depend on how our forwards aim up, if JFH and Tamou continue to start like they do and RCG and Leota come on full of grunt, the 3 halves would work a treat.

It’s all on our pack and how they aim up!

1 Like