[2019] R25 Panthers v Knights - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersKnights

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday 8th September 2019 4:05pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 6:35pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers SUN 1/9 1:10pm*
JFC Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers SUN 1/9 3:15pm*
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :partly_sunny: Partly Cloudy 16°C (4% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 HD [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League HD (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

Canterbury Cup and Jersey Flegg finals matches to be played at Campbelltown Stadium, Leumeah NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 54 Tries Nathan Cleary (4), Billy Burns (2), Brian To’o, Wayde Egan, Moses Leota
Goals Nathan Cleary (9/9)
Newcastle Knights 10 Tries Starford Toa, Herman Ese’ese
Goals Mason Lino (1/2)

:rugby_football: Canterbury Cup NSW | Full Time

Wentworthville Magpies 34 Tries Will Smith (2), Josh Hoffman, Greg Leleisiuao, Oregon Kaufusi, Josh Hoffman
Goals Rhys Davies (5/7)
Penrith Panthers 16 Tries Frank Winterstein, Shannon Harris, Kaide Ellis
Goals Brendan Hands (2/3)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 25 Tries Alexander Myles, Glenn McGrady, Daine Laurie, Justin Jones, Terrell May
Goals Glenn McGrady (3/7)
Sydney Roosters 24 Tries McKenzie Baker (2), Ethan Quai-Ward, Reihana Marsh, Christian Tuipulotu
Goals Bayleigh Bentley-Hape (2/4)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

NRL MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://discourse.pantherpride.com.au/t/round-25-v-knights-motm/404

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Knights :rugby_football: Panthers v Magpies :rugby_football: Panthers v Roosters
:clock3: Sunday 8/9 4.05pm :clock3: Saturday 7/9 10.45am :clock3: Saturday 7/9 4.30pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Campbelltown Stadium :stadium: Campbelltown Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Charlie Staines 1. Glenn Mcgrady
2. Stephen Crichton 2. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 2. Justin Jones
3. Dean Whare 3. Shannon Harris 3. Jake Tago
4. Brent Naden 4. Tyrell Fuimaono 4. Matthew Faauila
5. Brian To’o 5. Matheson Johns 5. Thomas Lofts
6. James Maloney 6. Matt Burton 6. Daine Laurie
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Brendan Hands 7. Adam Fearnley
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Nick Lui-Toso 8. John Trimboli
9. Wayde Egan 9. Sione Katoa 9. Ryan Pritchard
10. Moses Leota 10. Kaide Ellis 10. Lindsay Smith
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Reed Izzard 11. Terrell May
12. Liam Martin 12. Frank Winterstein 12. Alex Myles
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Hame Sele 13. Jmaine Hopgood (C)
INTERCHANGE
14. Jarome Luai 14. Dean Blore 14. Dylan Mcbain
15. Spencer Leniu 15. Pat Hollis 15. Jack Quinn
16. Billy Burns 16. Sam Mckendry 16. Brad Gaut
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 17. Paea Pua 17. Ratu Nanovo
RESERVES
18. Sione Katoa 18. Nitoa Kairau
19. Hame Sele 19. Maurice Trindall
20. Josh Mansour
21. Kaide Ellis
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Adam Gee Darian Furner Cameron Turner
Jon Stone - -
Sideline Official Nick Morel James Vella Lyndsay Packer
Phil Henderson John Woods Paul Eden
Video Referee Ashley Klein - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (1/2) 50.00% (5/15) 33.33% 61.5 55.5 1.11
Jon Stone 2016 (1/1) 100.00% (5/9) 55.56% 35.5 35 1.01

Same all same all regarding the team selection.

I would of thought being last game with nothing to loose we would of rolled the dice so to speak with team selection

Considering it’s a dead rubber game, I don’t think they felt the need to shake up the squad, besides it might be the last time some of these guys play in the same team.

Somewhat ironic that this game is the showpiece TV game on Sunday afternoon given the outstanding season these two teams have had.

Steve…which players in the team dont you expect to be here next season…isn’t Maloney the only one who officially departs.

I would be expecting a end of year review considering the season we have had.

I would imagine there will be some question marks around a few players that may be potentially told they can look elsewhere as they are not in the teams future plans. I don’t have any evidence of this of course but I would imagine the contracts of RCG, Whare, Mansour to be looked at, I don’t think May will be returning to the club either. You also have Winterstein coming off contract.

I imagine next year will the year Coach Cleary gets to put the team he wants together.

Hi Steve

why do you say Whare and Mansour?

I believe RCG will go along with a few others but why would Whare and Mansour because they are long term monster deals with us?

and can someone closer to the club explain why Burns is getting a run in the firsts when Burton isn’t?

Mostly due to the long term contracts. From what I have heard there are some at the club, including the coach who are not a fan of long term contracts, and it is tightening up the cap in the next few years.

Winterstein and Katoa’s contracts are finished at the club, I don’t see them getting extended. There was an article today about Wayde Egan been told he is no longer needed and will be released. McKendry has another knee injury and will be retiring at years end.

Out of all the off contract players, the only one I think they will hold on to is Jed Cartwright. Wayde Egan, Tyrell Fuimaono, Sione Katoa, Hame Sele, Frank Winterstein will probably be moved on I would suspect. Whare and Mansour will be players of interest in the end of season review. Both had quiet seasons, both are on good coin, and both are on long contracts.

I foresee a big cleanout before the 2020 season.

Good points, Steve. I think Whare & Mansour are terrific players, but both have had poor seasons. Both have also been injury prone in the last 2 seasons, esp. Whare with hamstring problems that seem to plague him.

I don’t know if they should go, but I agree they will certainly come under scrutiny.

The Panthers Canterbury Cup side finals run has ended in its first week, eliminated by the Wentworthville Magpies 34-16

… our stars of the future, lapped !

Jersey Flegg have beaten the Roosters 25-24 in extra time, and advance to the Preliminary Final in 2 weeks time.

Steve you posted…some at the club are not fans of long term contracts including the coach!!!
Seriously he is on a 5 year gold plated deal as is his own son…IF…as you suggest he doesn’t believe in them why would he accept one?
I am torn between long term contracts and players futures, and would be happy with a long term contract if it had measurable and quantifiable KPI’s and players and coaches alike were paid a “performance” or “outcome” bonus . For example giving Cleary (the son) $1m a year without any KPI’s attached is just asking for trouble
There doesn’t appear to be any accountability for their own actions, which sit outside any reasonable assumption any other employee would have
I understand its a team and for example you could have others outside your self playing badly but maybe there needs to be a “team” bonus on top of a players bonus.
Anyway for what ever reason, what we have at Panthers aint working
On the player cleanup…no one wants to see anyones career end as for most of these guys its all they have but we have too many who are just not good enough and need to find another club and this May overhang has to be hurting us and him…why the NRL won’t allow us to sit him outside the cap and club until his legal issue is resolved is bizarre…its almost like he is an employee on workers comp…costing us money and cant contribute

If we are the nursery and Goulds grand 5 year plan is to reveal itself it had better be 2020 because from where i sit and what i see we are in a world of hurt and in no way can match it with the top 8 sides of this year

On todays game, wind could be a major factor although i suspect we have 2 sides who just want to get through 80 minutes and get on the grog.

Level of interest in todays result…zero from me and sadly i think its the same level of interest from this terrible playing group we have.

Good first half, crowd is better than expected.

Luai looks ok in the centres

Good to go out with a bang!!

Long off season ahead. See you all next year! Best wishes to all on the forum & stay well!

the Knights are a seriously bad footy team todaybut the damn Panthers can make you wonder…today we have forwards running hard breaking the line and 4 Panther players in support

All year i had been asking for forwards to run hard break the line and look for support and i get it last game of the year when its all over

And its been reported on the call Cleary is set to make Cleary Captain next year

Until next year everyone

Thanks for your posts and valuable information about the club, players and stats

Didn’t think we would be going out in the last round of the year.

Where has this been all year?

Crighton’s not a winger, Luai’s not a centre and we still beat them.
Newcastle have bigger issues than us by a long way. The win for
mine does little to sweeten the bitter taste of a season soured by
a myriad of internal issues. The NRL hierarchy disappointed as did
the rule makers and rule enforcing officials. Our game has withered
on the vine and needs a facelift pronto.

Meanwhile the Panther Pride faithful have been just that. Thanks
for your company, opinion and never ending optimism. Look
forward to your 2020 input. Go you Panthers !

Cheers/Puss

Great way to finish the season, especially with Cleary breaking the record for most points in a game. It makes you wonder where we could have ended up if we had played like that from the start.

EDIT: The last conversion took Cleary past 600 career points. He is just 12 points short of Preston Campbell in 4th for points for the club, and with a good season next year could overtake Michael Gordon in 3rd (will need 198 points).