2020 Panthers Contract Thread

I understand the reasons, but I think it really sucks.

The problem with loyalty to a club is that (usually) the club doesn’t return the loyalty. It can’t. It has to consider the team & the team’s future long term, which means that, ultimately, the individual is sacrificed - even one like Mansour, who has turned his back on more lucrative offers over the years to stay with the club.

Dang! I feel really sorry for Sauce. What a shit couple of weeks he’s had!

2 Likes

I reckon the club should offer him a coaching job, after a year in reggies assisting the development of our backs.

Would be a good mentor for Staines, To’o etc

1 Like

Burton signed with the dogs from 2022.

I know we can’t keep them all, but I have a feeling this one may come back to bite us.

1 Like

I hate the fact he will be “Playing” next year knowing he is going - it’s not right !

I am not too fussed at this stage, no way we would consider the 500k for a potential when we have a proven incumbent who really took his game to the next level this year. All things go according to plan, Luai should be challenging for Dally M honors next season.

Yes, can’t keep ‘em all. I guess all you can hope is that mostly you keep the right ones. I can’t see how he was going to make the team next year, and the 2 guys in front of him are likely to be around for 10+ years. I know there was talk of bulking him up and playing lock, but I suggest we have the best lock in the game now, and he’s pretty much an 80’ player. And the utility spot is pretty well locked in with TMay. Injuries aside, I couldn’t see game time for Burto.

I hope it works out for him. Having trouble recalling a players who’s career has been positively impacted after moving to the dogs & Barrett’s last head coach job ended in tears.

2 Likes

I dont rate Tyrone May and suggest Burton was/is a better long term prospect. Re Barrett, we handed him two opportunites and now he bites the hand that fed him. Tell him to bugger off and don’t come back
‘AGAIN’.

3 Likes

Matt Burton ⮕ Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs (2022)

its a shame on so many levels and you cannot blame Burton or indeed even Barrett for scooping him up, it raises more questions about how we as a club retain the players we actually want to retain

And i have a question around the date of his departure, end of 2021

So what do we do with him next year as a player, seriously if he wants out and that is his intent our contracts should allow for us to get them out immediately

I doubt anyone on this forum could give an employer 12 months notice.

I once had an agreement that I could not work within the industry I was in for 2 years if I departed, so I could imagine their are employment contracts that have these kinds of stipulations, it would take a crap load of coin for you to sign something like that but I bet it does happen.

Perhaps we need a second Penrith team in the NRL to utilise all our talent. Makes more sense than a second Brisbane team IMHO.

2 Likes

Someone collate the data, how many Panther juniors are playing 1st grade at other clubs?

1 Like

Might look at it over the weekend if I have time. There would be be a few.

Off the Top (regardless of form they were in 1st grade)

Jenko’s x 3
Wado
Moyza
RCG
Oli Clark
Blake Austin
Jed
Does Sivo count as our Junior?

Sivo is ours. Pretty sure Addo-Carr started at Doonside. Not sure if we can claim him though.

I really hope we lock up Spencer Leniu. If he left, I think the loss would be comparable to Burton - or worse.

2 Likes

Kev, I have that same thought every time Penrith plays (and have done for decades). And the recurrent thought is that, while recognising that we can’t keep them all, statistically we just need to keep the best 3 or 4 up-and-comers each year (given the underlying assumption of about 10 years NRL career and about 30 in the roster). We have a history of letting quality go, sometimes obviously due to internal friction (eg how the 1991 team imploded). It is rare to play another NRL team and NOT see a Penrith junior opposing us. We will never escape the reality that having good accountants and commercial contacts is more important than having a great junior system.

1 Like

Sadly the problem with a lot of young talent is that they have a lot of smoke blown up thier… well you know where.

They get hyped by their friends and family… the media blows them up cause it’s something new and different to hype up, and ‘some’ managers use it to give them the feeling their value is higher than it probably should be (it’s kind of their job to do that).

It gives opportunity to other clubs who have some free cash to snare these youngsters to bolster their aging squads and add some strike. The problem then is that the club who has poured in countless amounts of junior development funds. What ensues is a race to the top to secure that talent, making it hard to lock the team up, under the cap, into a unit that can string a few seasons together.

I do agree with Panthers management that something needs to change. A concession for players developed to the club would be ideal. Allowing a club to be in a better position to offer a contract and no have it strain the rest of the team as a reward for developing players for the game would be nice, as well as a transfer fee system would be an incentive for clubs to develop within rather than flexing their cheque book.

It wouldn’t make a huge difference either. The club will get the first shot in making an offer, and there will still be plenty of players coming out of the system (especially in the PDJRL system).

Long story short, if the NRL are serious about expansion in the future, it needs to ensure quality juniors are coming out the nurseries, and the only way to ensure that is to make it make financial sense to the clubs to do so.

2 Likes

Running my eye over the 2020 Season Guide, I found these former juniors, lower grade or first grade players at other clubs. May have missed some.

BRONCOS

Matt Lodge (St Pats Blacktown)

Sean O’Sullivan (Glenmore Park)

RAIDERS

Michael Oldfield (2017)

BULLDOGS

Christian Crichton (St Mary’s)

Corey Harawira-Naera (2017-18) - transferred to Raiders

Sione Katoa (Glenmore Park)

Chris Smith (2015)

Dallin Watene-Zeleziak (St Clair Comets)

SHARKS

Wade Graham (Blacktown City)

Andrew Fifita (St Pats Blacktown)

Matt Moylan (St Clair Comets/St Pats Blacktown)

TITANS

Bryce Cartwright (St Mary’s)

Tyrone Peachey (2014-18)

Mitch Rein (2017)

EAGLES

Corey Waddell (Emu Plains)

STORM

Josh Addo-Carr (Doonside)

Sandor Earl (2010-12)

Tom Eisenhuth (Lower Mountains Eagles)

KNIGHTS

Tim Glasby (NYC 2008-9)

COWBOYS

Gavin Cooper (2009-10)

EELS

Waqa Blake (2015-19)

Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Windsor Wolves)

George Jennings (West City Tigers)

Michael Jennings (West City Tigers)

Maika Sivo (NSW Cup 2017-18)

Will Smith (2014-16)

SOUTHS

Braidon Burns (NYC 2015-16)

Damien Cook (NYC 2010-11)

James Roberts (2013)

DRAGONS

Tyrell Fuimaono (St Mary’s)

Trent Merrin (2016-18)

ROOSTERS

None

WARRIORS

Wayde Egan (2018-19)

Peta Hiku (2016-17)

Adam Keighran (NYC 2017-18)

TIGERS

Oliver Clark (Quakers Hill)

Matt Eisenhuth (NSW Cup 2013-16)

Robert Jennings (Minchinbury Jets)

Elijah Taylor (2014-16)

1 Like

Thanks for the list, Mutley. THAT would provide the basis for a very competitive NRL side. Personally, I am irritated by the repeated Penrith statement “we are a development club”, as if that was our only reason for existing. It just says to Easts Rorters et al “come and help yourself”. How about we become a ‘develop and keep the best’ club? Of course, as Steve noted, the NRL would need to instigate a system that recognises home grown talent. But, since clubs like Easts wouldn’t know a local junior if they fell over one, they would use their financial muscle to stop such fairness ever being introduced.

2 Likes

NRL.com reports Spencer Leniu has re-signed for 2 years, til the end of 2023.

Great news!! Hopefully, many more to follow.

1 Like