2020 Panthers Contract Thread

Suaalii grew up in Penrith, but played Union for Kings School in the Parramatta district. Poached by Souths for HM Cup & SG Ball (while juggling playing for Kings). Apparently there are a number of NRL, Union & AFL clubs interested in him, and he is using it to his advantage to make demands that he really isn’t entitled to make yet, which is why Souths are letting him look at other options.

Jack Hetherington ⮕ Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs (2022)

Caleb Aekins ⮕ Canberra Raiders (2021)

Canberra must pay reserve graders better than Penrith lol

As if he will be in front of CNK

3 Likes

Interesting use of the term “exciting “ to describe Aekins.

Steady, solid, reliable yes, but can’t say I ever saw anything exciting from him in first grade.

Saw more excitement in Laurie’s limited minutes this year than the 4 or 5 games Aekins.

Good luck to him though, with him and Hethrington off the books, more room to move with Crichton and Burton.

1 Like

I agree re: Aekins. He’s a solid defender, but offers little in attack. We’ve got several other young players who are better & can step up if Edwards is out.

1 Like

Malakai Watene-Zelezniak ⮕ Released

Brayden McGrady ⮕ Released

Pat Hollis ⮕ Released

Robert Jennings ⮕ Signed to 2021 (New Signing)

Why would we sign him ???

1 Like

Matt Eisenhuth ⮕ Signed to 2022 (New Signing)

Are we desperate for back rowers? Why are we signing run of the mill (at best) 1st graders?

I guess there is an expectation that there will be reserve grade played next year & we need to field a team

I’m sure these two were in the Cleary development program and was moved on under Griffin.

Maybe he is bringing them back into the fold.

I know we have let a few go, and cleared up some cap space (presumably to upgrade contracts), but I have to admit that I was scratching my head over these signings. I doubt either player would be in our first 17, and they are probably on more money than depth players should be.

Probably a VERY long bow but, if I were Brent Naden, I’d be asking for some reassurance that I was in the club’s plans. Free to negotiate from tomorrow, dumped from the GF starting team, after starting all year, had no offers from the club (as far as media reports go) and now Robert Jennings, who killed it at Souths, has been signed.

If I were Naden, I’d be asking the club WTF, or getting my agent to field offers.

Josh Mansour has been given an early release option, as he has been informed by the club that it intends to move forward with elevating Charlie Staines to the first grade starting squad in 2021.

Had a feeling this was coming

He will end up at the Tigers, got a feeling he is Madge’s type of player.

Mixed feelings about it. I understand that Staines is the future and the spot is his. I feel bad for Mansour, he put a lot on the line for the club (both on the field and financially when the club needed it the most).

Like Mutley, I kind of knew this was going to happen, doesn’t make it easier to process.

3 Likes

Having watched the replay of the GF (still with beer goggles lol) I did notice his lack of impact with ball in hand, and a couple of bad decisions in defense, maybe that was the catalyst.