[2020] QF Panthers v Roosters - Game Day Thread

A great start - everyone on the field deserves MOTM

I think Roosters played their GF and expect them to lose next week against Raiders

Panthers were brilliant in the first 40 and when wemade changes in the 2nd 40 we lost the middle and they got the roll on and we paid the price for thinking the job was done but that said Roosters played out of their skin and like was their GF

It was a win and too close but it was a winā€¦enjoy the week off and i think we need it to not only recover but to reset our minds for the task now ahead.

Well done boys

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3iwbE24

immensely proud of the boys but geez those Roosters were persistent. Hard matchup just what the doctor ordered for our lads at the pointy end of the season. Just the same Iā€™ll stock up on my medication just in case. MOM - Cleary, he did it all !!! Enjoy.

2 Likes

Exactly the type of preparation we need if we are to go all the way - a tough, tight game against quality opposition.

The two week break will do wonders for the team, first week review the errors of last night, practice the basic skills. 2nd week we prepare for the opposition.

Most exciting game of the year so far, this surely has been the Roosters grandfinal for all the wrong reasons, and our grand final for all the right reasons. I donā€™t see that type of game coming from anyone except possibly The raiders or storm.

We had one player just about lock himself into state of origin (Yeo), and two others put themselves in contention (Crichton and Martin).

How good was our bench of Leota and Tetavano? They were both outstanding with their contribution, and itā€™s no coincidence our period of dominance coincided with them on the field.

Cleary again showed he is made for big games, both in game management and in clutch plays. Generally our attack though is strongest through the hands of Rommy.

Sauce in the best form of his career, and an almost flawless contribution from Edwards.

Api, Fish and Kiks just keep doing what they do best. I donā€™t think Kiks has any issue with that tackle, it wasnā€™t placed on report and seemed to be talked up by 9 commentators (I believe, based on post match interview).

Naden and Toā€™o will learn from the experience, while their enthusiasm is unparalleled, the game at stages got the better of them. The experience of finals and big games has now been instilled in them, and with a little coaching and attention, they will be better for the prelim.

All in all an outstanding effort, and sets us up well for this run to the premiership

2 Likes

Well how great was that??? Fantastic effort from the boys. If there were any doubts in their minds about being able to compete with the best in the big games, well they know the answer now.
Early on the dusters were able to get field position on the back of penalties & perhaps a few nerves from us, but once the game settled we were clearly able to play our game and really dominated for most of the rest of the game.
Once the lead got out to 18, the dusters had nothing to lose and started playing with that in mind, which is always a danger - how many passes went astray as the pressed for a way to get thru us? But we held our nerve and got the deserved win.
Cleary was 5 star, but there were contributions across the park, a real team effort. It is all or nothing now & I would make one change for next game & play Spencer instead of Tyrone. That extra forward could prove the difference rather than the utility value that May offers.
We can now prepare for week 3 with a confidence we can beat anyone.

Dare to dream!!!

1 Like

Kikau charged with dangerous throw, will possibly miss the preliminary final

If they challenge the grade 1 charge and loses he would miss 2 weeks (I.e the grand final).

Better 1 in the hand than 2 in the bush so to speak.

Just hope we use Capewell and not Burns to replace him in any case.

2 Likes

Just wondering about peopleā€™s thoughts on the Lussick try last night?

To me it is a situation that exposes the flaw in bunker system. If that had been sent up as no try, I doubt it would have been awarded, which poses the question would it be better to remove the on field decision & leave it completely in the hands if the bunker?

1 Like

Aaahhh. One of lifeā€™s joys; sitting back in the stand as the ground empties, savouring the win, and watching the last of the Rortersā€™ bedraggled supporters trudging off to their cars; and on their faces you can just see the shock as it dawns on them that there are some things that canā€™t be bought with money - thatā€™s not how it works down Bondi way.

1 Like

I thought that the Ch 9 commentators were dismissive of the Brent Naden brain fade near the end. To me that was a potentially huge moment in the match, and it could have potentially cost a the match, but Ch 9 seemed more intent on willing a Rorters comeback than to give serious analysis to Nadenā€™s action. Penrith should have had the ball deep in Rortersā€™ territory, with no final try to them. In fact Sterling and Warren seemed to find it little more than an amusing and unimportant play.

Well, Enjoyed the game at the ground, and thoroughly enjoyed watching it afterwards on Kayo (knowing the result at that stage made it far less heart attack inducing).

I think that this is the exact result the Panthers were looking for. You have the camps of analysts that say either need to stand up ans show they can dethrone the top sides to be a contender and the others that say the Panthers need a ā€œloss they can learn fromā€. I think they got the best of both worlds last night.

Full credit to the Roosters, they played like a team who were Premiers two years running.
They hit the Panthers with both barrels early and really stunned the Panthers and 10 minutes and 10 points down the Panthers knew it would be a uphill battle.

To the Panthers credit though, they absorbed that blitz and returned fire it come back ahead at half time. Iā€™m sure Ivan would have been happy with that. The Roosters came back in the second half and dominated much of the field position and play (and penalties but thatā€™s another discussion). Nathan as usual had a blinder and sealed victory with the field goal.

I know a lot of media last night focused on Nathanā€™s performance, but I would personally add my two cents about Jerome Luai. This kid is amazing and his patience has paid off for the club and him alike. There was many occasions when he was hanging in the lower grades where he could have gone somewhere else and be a sensation there, but he stuck it out at Penrith, and we are a richer club for having him.

In the post game interview Luai show how much he has for this club, this community and this team. He genuinely wants to be here. He owned up three tries that was scored around him (not all were his fault either) and said he needs to work on his defence. Itā€™s refreshing to see a player admit something was wrong and say they will work on it rather than deflecting or making excuses. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite guys on the squad. He loves his footy, and loves being at the club. If you havenā€™t seen the interview on Fox there is a replay in the post game on Kayo, itā€™s worth a watch.

As has already been said, itā€™s getting harder and harder to pick a MOTM. A good problem to have. :grinning:

4 Likes

Only watched the replay (1 hour) last night. Gotta say, it really highlights what Fox Sports think of our game and what they believe we want to seeā€¦WRONG

We lost about 6 minutes mid way through the 2nd half and Fish had the ball just outside our 20, Vossy says ā€œwell that is incredible, the Panthers have defended 2 sets inside their 20 and have come away with the ballā€ so I didnā€™t get to see our AWESOME defensive effort, rather we got to see that dumbo trip himself over with no-one around him, then multiple replays of him getting studs to the forehead WHO F@#$ING CARES :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Solution, Donā€™t go away OR record the actual game not the replay - YES I am the dope !!

BTW - These lads really are taking the term TEAM to the next level :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like