[2020] QF Panthers v Roosters - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersRoosters #NRLFinals

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Sydney Roosters
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 2nd October 2020 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open 6:00pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 18°C (2% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited number of
supporters. Redemption codes are provided for members to
claim tickets. Any remaining tickets (if any) are sold to the
general public.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 29 Tries Nathan Cleary (3), Josh Mansour, Stephen Crichton
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/5)
Field Goals Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Sydney Roosters 28 Tries Josh Morris (2), Freddy Lussick, James Tedesco, Angus Crichton.
Goals Kyle Flanagan (4/5)
Field Goals Luke Keary (0/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/3iwbE24

TEAM

Telstra Premiership Finals Series
:rugby_football: Panthers v Roosters
:clock3: Friday 2/10 7:55pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards :small_red_triangle:
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton :small_red_triangle:
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (c)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau :small_red_triangle:
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Kurt Capewell
16. Moses Leota
17. Zane Tetevano
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Dean Whare
20. Matt Burton
21. Spencer Leniu
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials Chris Butler
Todd Smith
Senior Review Official Steve Chiddy

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (4/5) 80% (17/33) 51.52% 118 122.5 0.96

OK usual procedure with Ticketek website for tickets, with a series of messages so no tickets available. But bearing with it, and choosing premium category - we got our seats in Eastern Stand Bay 3, so pretty well diametrically opposite where we normally sit in Bay 27.

C’mon boys.

I’m going the opposite way Mr Walker, bay 5 to bay 30. The bloke who sits behind my is having a fit, couldn’t get tickets. This is where I’d have preferred us to play at Homebush this time, could have got 3-4 times as many people in.

You’re lucky, Mr Walker. I booked by 10:01, $55 ticket, and am down near the fence. How can all those premium blocks go off inside the 30 secs that mine was allocated? And how is this venue going to give Penrith an advantage? Having a home ground would be an advantage if the two teams playing were located far apart, but Easts Rorters fans can easily get to Penrith and can probably more easily afford the ramped up prices than the western workers.

If this is a close game, which we all expect, then kicking will be crucial. Cleary normally has a bit of a hook in his goal kicks, but against the Scumdogs he was hooking it more than my worst golf drives. If that persists, it could cost us a win. Maybe we’d better have a backup option (?Crichton).

Managed to snare a treble in Bay 38. I was on the very second the site allowed and only managed to get seats on the far edges.

Not super pleased with where I am seated, but at least I’ll be there.

1 Like

Stupid me forgot to set a reminder alarm!

First home final I will ever miss out on.

Good luck to you all, I’ll be watching from home

I agree that kicking the goals is important. If the tiges could have kicked a goal we would be playing raiders or slimies this week!
That said, the wind conditions were difficult on Sat, with the wind swirling in the stadium. When the dogs kicked that 40/20 it appeared the wind was behind them, but other kicks from them in the 1st half were knocked down by the wind. Their kick-offs were quite short & were blowing back on themselves. Of course we only kicked -off once (to start 2nd half). Always a good sign when you only kick-off once in a game :grinning:
I am sure NC will be practicing a bit this week & I’m backing him in.

1 Like

OK, team named and it’s our best 17. Spencer is unlucky to miss out, but he will be a regular next year.

If we play to our best, as we have done pretty much for 20 rounds, we should be able to beat the roosters & progress to week 3.

Back your selves boys and let’s get the job done - 3 wins to go!!!

2 Likes

The best team has picked the best team - enough said, this comp is ours to loose.

I honestly dare to dream, I can’t see another team beating us on the field, only thing is can we keep our heads in order so we don’t beat ourselves?

What I saw on Saturday was Cleary wasn’t putting much effort in his goal kicking, resting his legs so to speak.

I hope we continue with our punishing defense in the first 30 minutes, also take the gift penalty goals if they present themselves, and don’t shy away from taking an early field goal.

Apart from that, keep on keeping on!

I’m a believer (cue the monkeys lol)

you’re all ‘Tork’ hillfan. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

SHF - early field goals :flushed:

The only way we will beat this group is by controlling the game in their end. Making them work defensively particularly early on. If we are in field goal range we do not give them 7 tackles, we either play for the try, the ball back or simply pin them on their line then defend like no tomorrow with no freebies…although that is the Ref’s discretion so that is a worry if we are on top early.

No field goals in the first 38 minutes please…

Finally we at the starting point, all the preliminaries are done with and what a game to begin the series playing last years Premiers and (still) most pundits favourites for the title in the Roosters.

We should make no mistake, this will be a real test at every level for every player and we will have players who will be challenged

I think they will attack To’ and Mansour with the high ball and run at Mansour particularly causing him to make poor defensive choices. They will also run their big boppers at Luai rather than Cleary

They will want to play it tight with their forwards and look to inject Tedesco and Keary

For us this reminds me much of the last eels game where me bashed their forwards and nullified what the backs could do and we will need to do this again and the first forward we have to nullify is JWH in much the same was we shut down Gillard. They see JWH as a real hit man and closing him out will be key along with Friend (if he plays). These are their 2 key forwards and if they get a roll on, it opens it up for the Keary/Tedesco threat

Thats them…we of course have to stick to our processes and believe in this. We will face bad calls for sure but we need to remain on focus.

Roosters were either foxing last week or they were off their game and Robinson will have their mind on the main prize this week without a doubt

With our home crowd we should get them and i hope by a clear margin and more importantly no injuries or dubious suspension/reports out of the game.

Panthers but will be closer than we think.

A very big congrats and thank you to all supporters who got tickets and will turn up for the game…well done!

Agreed, it is a given that the Rorters will bomb to the wings, so we have to absolutely minimise their possession in our half. In the olden days (2019 and earlier) we gave away too much with dumb penalties, poor ball control and a complete unawareness of potential short kick-offs or line dropouts, but this year has seen a massive improvement (I think). Penrith needs to maintain that sort of discipline.

6-agains are certain to go against us, and it is irritating to not really know why each was awarded, since they happen so quickly. We can but hope.

I must not understand how the seat allocation has been determined, because I don’t see why the crowd will necessarily be overwhelmingly pro-Panthers. Surely the Rorters supporters had as much chance as us to buy tickets, and probably more financial capacity to buy the more expensive ones. I reckon that the only thing in our favour is the deep-seated fear in Rorters supporters of catching cooties from the unwashed west inhabitants; they head out past the CBD at their own risk. Or are they just like Manly, whose supporters won’t cross the harbour.

1 Like

Late Changes to the Roosters Squad. Sonny Bill Williams will not play due to a flareup of a neck complaint. Nat Butcher will his replacement.

Panthers finalised their squad with Matt Burton and Dean Whare omitted from this weeks team.

$BW has been ordinary since his “triumphant” return. The only thing they will lose with him out is big match experience.

With Burton and Whare left out, it’s obviously Cleary has 100% confidence in To’o’s fitness.

If anything happens to To’o, May to Centre, Naden to Wing. Bases covered.

1 Like