[2020] R13 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread

A good game against quality opposition, and a near perfect first half of football.

They came back hard in the second half, assisted by a ref encouraging them into the game, and a bunker who thought we were playing within the large hadron collider, and Newton’s laws of physics do not apply.

I has doubt of both CNK tries, the first in no way looked like he got the ball down prior to the ref blowing the whistle. And with the second the reserve angle shot clearly showed a hand under the ball as he slid over the line.

It’s hard to pick the best as has been common the last few weeks, but a special shout out to Leota; 40 mins 152 metres 27 tackles, no errors or missed tackles.

We loose absolutely nothing when our bench forwards of Leota, Tetevano and Leniu come on the field.

3 Likes

SHF, that second paragraph deserves the COTM (Comment of the Match) award. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Great first half, not too sure about the second. I agree with Ivan’s sentiments about the Raiders getting a bit of a leg up after the break.

Big question marks over their first try, reminds me of the one Isaac Luke scored against us in the finals a few years ago. This is where the current system of having to find evidence to overrule the on field decision falls apart. Logic says he didn’t get there, but there is no camera angle to show it. Hopefully a decision like that never costs us a big game.

Penrith have demonstrated over the years to accept bad calls, almost as if that is our fate, and that is to the club’s credit. But it was also a breath of fresh air to hear IC comment about them being ‘managed back into the game’, because that is what all those watching thought as well. And Canberra would know all about that, after last year’s GF debacle (every time I hear about the Easts Rorters going for a threepeat my hackles rise).
What a pity we have limited allowed crowds, in a year when our team would pull near-capacity crowds.
And for the next few weeks the table-topping Penrith don’t get near free-to-air coverage, while the hapless, hopeless Brisbane will probably get their usual prime slot.
While it didn’t directly affect the team and the results, Hetherington has again displayed all the traits of a loose cannon, perhaps a liability. Is MG his personal trainer?

Kikau @ $15 for first try scorer, he is becoming very profitable for me. If NC had have crossed the line my same game multi @$41 would have got up, o’h well, got money back lol

Moses Leota, yeah baby, love the way he plays the game.

I’m at a loss to explain the refereeing these days, I used to understand their “interpretations” but these days they are on a whim and appear to support a close result wherever possible, not good.

Did someone say Panthers x 16? :thinking:

1 Like

Very happy with the way we are playing & hope we can keep this momentum going thru to the end.

I suggest that IC’s comments came at the right time. Leading the comp, beating last years GF’ist comprehensively & having won 8 straight is just the time to expose the rubbish officiating. Not doing a Stuart or Toovey and whining when you lose, as it comes across as just being a sore loser, making excuses for winning.

I can’t ever recall as strange a series of refereeing as we saw in the 2nd half

• Whitton’s reaching around the play the ball & knocking the ball down, before running 50m
  • Rapana clearly being tackled into touch before releasing the ball & using the challenge
    Note: the rules were clearly defined about the challenge process when it was introduced. You have to specifically state what you are challenging & you win/lose your challenge on what you challenged. So the challenge was clearly wrong & should have been lost but Mr Penrith 1-12 in the bunker bizarrely found a penalty in that??
  • no way that first raiders try was a try & yet Sutton clearly ‘saw’ it grounded, else he wouldn’t have signalled try in the referral & hence the try standing - if he saw it grounded why didn’t he award the try
  • the 2nd raiders try was sent up as a no-try & bizarrely this time, despite any clear evidence that the ball was not on the defenders arm, the try was awarded
  • Rapana’s tackle on Mansour was clearly late & unnecessary but no penalty
  • a similar incident to the Whitton knockdown late in the game near our line, this time brought a penalty against us

PVL needs to address the refereeing issues instead of shooting the messenger. Either the officials are incompetent or they were in fact trying to manage the raiders back into the game, or both!

1 Like

I don’t think some of the scorelines we are seeing are good for the NRL, thus having a ‘contest’ would be paramount, particularly when your talking about top 4 sides playing each other.

Imagine the rhetoric if we had a 2nd half like the 1st, 48 nil against last years GF’s………

I doubt their is an actual instruction, but would bet my bottom dollar it is “Discussed” within the ref ranks.