[2020] R13 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLPanthersRaiders

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 8st August 2020 7:0pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link] (SOLD OUT)
:stadium: Gates Open 6:30pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud_with_rain: Rain 13°C (53% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited number of
supporters. Redemption codes are provided for members to
claim tickets. Any remaining tickets (if any) are sold to the
general public.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 Tries Viliame Kikau, Liam Martin, Stephen Crichton, Brent Naden.
Goals Nathan Cleary (6/6)
Canberra Raiders 12 Tries Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (2).
Goals Jarrod Croker (2/2)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/33GtdII

TEAM

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Panthers v Raiders
:clock3: Saturday 8/8 7:30pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Caleb Aekins
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak :small_red_triangle:
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Spenser Leniu
16. Moses Leota
17. Zane Tetevano
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny :small_red_triangle:
19. Matt Burton :small_red_triangle:
20. Billy Burns :small_red_triangle:
21. Daine Laurie :small_red_triangle:
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials Chris Butler
Todd Smith
Video Referees Brian Norrie
Senior Review Official Steve Chiddy

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (2/3) 67% (15/31) 48.39% 107 112.5 0.95

Looking forward to this contest. Last years Grand Finalist can’t be taken lightly. We bring our ‘a’ game along for the ride we can prevail. We come in over confident they’ll pull our pants down. C’mon Panthers.

Gotta say, I have that air of confidence about this one, they have been struggling and will be as up for this as they can be, I expect we will be ready for the onslaught and will take them deep into the 2nd half before running away with it.

Panthers x 16

1 Like

I agree Kev. I think the Raider will go in hard and fast and try to get to a early lead attempting to out
compete Penrith.

My only concern for the Raiders is I don’t think they could keep it up for 80 minutes and once the take runs dry the Panthers are going to slaughter them with their attack.

I’m predicting a 18+ win for Penrith.

2 Likes

Let’s face it, all sides no matter their form or ladder standing are going to lift against us.

Mathematically we are due for a loss, but I don’t feel it the way we are playing games for 80mins.

Panthers by 17

I think we will have a couple of losses before the finals, but not this week. I’m thinking that the Sharks & Tigers are the 2 teams for us to be most wary of.

As long as it isn’t round 20 :nauseated_face:

1 Like

We are currently sitting on 3999 tries in our history. Next try we score will be time to celebrate.

oh my, preparing yourselves mentally for a loss.

Guys, you only lose when you prepare to lose.

All teams will lift against Panthers as we are the benchmark at the moment but the team has to prepare even moreso and to their great credit have lifted beyond my expectations and really great teams find a way to win and we have seen a bit of this from the squad this year in some games.

What tonight holds will reveal itself to us but weather may play a part with a storm forecast.

Stuart will have his team up big time for this, and they will lift.

The challenge for our boys is how do they respond.

If anyone watched the Cowboys v Raiders last week saw a very interesting tactic deployed and on quite a few occasions the Cowboys busted the Raiders wide open out wide by shifting very wide early

We have the speed out wide and have the players to execute either sides will be watching keenly to see if Cleary SNR paid attention tot he Raider defence set up and if he deploys the same tactic.

They will be in it for a very long way but if we have learnt anything in these past weeks, our boys are in it for the full 80 minutes and may need to be again tonight

Panthers by 1 will do me, anymore will be a bonus.

Yep, any win will do just fine. But if we did happen to lose, I would rather it be due some Raiders brilliance rather than us falling into old habits (like dumb penalties, repeated 6-agains, not being ready for a Raiders one-on-one strip, not getting to the kick in the first set after scoring, or not being ready for the opponent’s short kick off/drop out).

I’ll admit, before the game I was worried about this one. I thought of all the teams we’ve played since the season restarted, Canberra could be the ones to beat us.

10 minutes in I had no doubt we’d win.

Can’t fault the defence. They’re attacking like they’re hungry for the win. Reminds me of the way Melbourne sometimes looks like they’ve just decided they’re going to win a game, and then they do. Love to see this kind of confidence.

2 Likes

after last week i thought it would be difficult to either repeat the effort or rise to an even higher level

take a bow boys…pass from Api was sublime, pass to a barnstorming Kikau was world class

Now lets put this mob to the sword!!!1

hard to remain focused when you’re leading 24-0 at h/t.
Let’s hope we can go on with it in the second stanza.
Concentration boys,play your game not theirs.

i don’t agree Puss…the great teams know what to do
The Storm and Roosters know instinctively what to do.
Panthers have to demonstrate they know too.
That being said Ricky will be asking for his team to respond…if we can get 2 quick tries all resistance will go and flood gates will open

I

not what i had hoped to see, we were awful in pats in the second half and Raiders like i suggested responded to Ricky’s ask to aim up
Take the win

And boy did we get some terrible calls by the ref and video ref

well did they demonstrate it steamboat ???

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/33GtdII

got a damn fine side here,not yet a ‘great’ side, but potentially …
Defensive effort 1st half was exceptional. Lost our way in the second half
when we seemed to get flustered and put off our game by some contentious
calls. Have to put those out of our minds and concentrate on our game.

seems like you answered yourself Puss.

This is a very good side but a long way from a great side “yet”
not sure about stats but think that is the first game this year we haven’t scored a try in the second half?
happy to be corrected but we have to remind ourselves Raiders were grand finalists last year and came close to being the champions, despite their roster being impacted by injuries they responded in the second half to an impeccable first half from us.
our team have come a long way from last year but a few games this year we fall into a sort of no mans land…we have terrible lapses in the simple things like the Tamou knock on on our line and Aekins loose carry and they score off these mistakes.
We gave away dumb penalties aided i might add by some very strange calls from the refs, both on field and off field
And oddly when Cleary took the 2 points at the beginning of the 2nd half was almost a signal we were going to ease our way to a victory
The good news from last night is there are still learnings for the team from that even though we won.

Its way early to call who may be in the GF but there appears to be a group who have risen to the challenge being Panthers,Storm,Eels and Roosters…there could be a dark horse emerge but looks like its from this group and in this group are 2 great teams in Roosters and Storm.

We now prepare for warriors and they will be tricky away from home.

The momentum must be maintained and the squad has to enjoy the ride…i sure am!!!