[2020] R17 Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLBroncosPanthers

:rugby_football: Match Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Suncorp Stadium, Milton QLD
:clock10: Time Thursday 3rd September 2020 7:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link] *Travel Restrictions in place for NSW Residents
:stadium: Gates Open 7:00pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 17°C (20% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited number of
supporters. Redemption codes are provided for members to
claim tickets. Any remaining tickets (if any) are sold to the
general public.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 25 Tries Josh Mansour. Kurt Capewell, Jarome Luai, Brian To’o.
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/5) Field Goals Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Brisbane Broncos 12 Tries Kotoni Staggs, Jordan Riki.
Goals Kotoni Staggs (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2GjfVZ0

TEAM

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Broncos v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 3/9 7:50pm
:stadium: Suncorp Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Mitch Kenny
10. Moses Leota
11. Viliame Kikau :small_red_triangle:
12. Liam Martin
13. James Fisher-Harris
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Spenser Leniu
16. Kurt Capewell :small_red_triangle:
17. Zane Tetevano
RESERVE
18. Api Koroisau :small_red_triangle:
19. Billy Burns
20. Matt Burton
21. Pat Hollis
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Matt Cecchin
Sideline Officials Chris Buttler
Celinda Sharpe
Video Referees Bryan Norrie
Senior Review Official Steve Chiddy

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Matt Cecchin 2001 (2/2) 100% (17/36) 47.22% 121.5 131.5 0.92

We’ve got the shortest wings in the NRL (I think), so I expect that if we give them repeat sets, then they’ll be kicking to the wings. Also, I think they have the edge in speed. So we’ve got to keep to the same formulate, viz hold the ball, limited missed tackles, no dumb penalties and no stuffups in the play-the-ball.

:joy::joy::joy:

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/2GjfVZ0

This was going to be a real test for the Broncos, and to their credit, they turned up to play. I would feel confident saying that was the best display the Broncos had put on this season.

The Panthers seems a bit sluggish early on and some of the forwards seem a bit gassed out there and I noticed the interchange of forwards happened earlier than it does usually. I assume it had to do with the near 80% humidity in Brisbane.

The longer the match went though, the more the plays were sticking and the boys were getting into their groove. Not the most dominant win, but like last week, it shows the team can win in different situations.

I wonder for next week if the NRL bring the J. J. Giltinan Shield to the Home game against the Eels? If my math is right, if we win against the Eels, there is no possible way to finish lower than First with 2 weeks left to run. Considering it will be the teams last regular season home game, I would be nice to cap the game off with the presentation of the shield to cap off the Panthers 3rd Minor Premiership.

Well, we just keep rolling along - fantastic isn’t it. We seemed to go with a simplified game plan, perhaps working on a plan for the rest of the season, or maybe just a plan to ensure we didn’t give the opposition many chances.
A number of times we just took the tackle and rolled on, rather than risk spreading the ball or a risky offload. I suggest we could have scored some more points, but we were always going to score enough to beat what the broncos could score the way we played.
I agree with Steve that the broncs played pretty well, as once again we saw a team raise their form to challenge the ladder leaders. But once again we went with them & basically strangled them out of the game in the 2nd half with our control of field position and aggressive defence.
Even the way we executed for the F/G shows a team playing with confidence.
Again some shite refereeing, but we are playing well enough to take the game out of the refs hands.
Again, we played well as a team, so giving the votes is hard again this week. How well is Dylan playing? I know that Tedescu is pretty well the best player in the game, but Dylan is going as well as any of the other #1’'s including the media darlings.
Do we dare to dream??

I thought that was Tamou’s worst game for us in many weeks. It was glaringly obvious to me that Yeo holds our middle like no other, JFH did a good job, but Yeo just owns it.

I thought our bench were the difference in the end, the way Zane & Spencer ran was a major factor in our attack results, good to see some spirit from the young bloke too.

Being our first game interstate could have been a major factor in addition to the humidity, well that would just compound the lethargic approach. Way too many drop balls for mine, but we were in first gear, it was almost like the passes that got put down were too slow…

Anyway, got the 2, move on.

Five day turnaround and a whistle stop tour of Brisbane makes this win even sweeter.

1 Like

I have now seen IC’s press conf. He suggested that we got conservative, so I guess it was not a plan to play that way, but maybe an on-field adjustment as a result of maybe how well the bronc were playing, or a sense that maybe we were not just switched on for the game?

COVID must have affected the microphone for the questions, as it was back to the bad old days of not being able to hear the questions. Someone asked him an inaudible question about Fish, and IC replied that he had been playing like that every game for the past 2 seasons. Maybe that reporter only watched broncos games, and so only sees Haas, Fifita and Pangai & thinks there are the benchmark :slight_smile:

Some other observations :-
JF-H again made huge post-contact metres.
Edwards was again brilliant (catching, run metres, post-contact metres).
Leniu is making good yardage, and tackle breaks. He gets better by the game.
Tamou is a big body, but doesn’t appear to have the penetration of JF-H or Leniu.
Brisbane and the commentators bemoaned one ruling on a six-again call, but nothing was made of the clear knock-on from a grubber kick that was missed by all the officials and which had Luai objecting. Bit like last week when the kick-in-tackle and the shoulder charge were not noticed.
The first ten minutes were exactly what we should have avoided - three dropped balls, given Brisbane good field position followed by bombs to the wings.
Where does Staines go when he recovers? Maybe he is developed physically gradually until Sauce retires (2022?).

Re : Giltinan Shield
Are you sure about your calculations for the minor premiership, Steve? If the Storm win this round then they remain 3 behind Penrith. That allows them to pass us if they win their last two and we lose the last two (unimaginable, given our opposition). But theoretically possible?

I was listening to Fox commentary, Braith Anasta should be barred from Penrith games, he is akin to Belcher when we played the Raiders…

Why does he dislike the Panthers so much?

His commentary is criticize, criticize, criticize - then say they did that well though…100% WANKER

1 Like

Yer when the storm lose this week is what Steve’s referring too, go the Rabbits !

Agree 100%. The FOX commentary is getting as bad as Ch9 & Anasta is the 2nd worst on FOX behind only Roach. The only reason I want the audio on when watching the game is for the play-by-play guy to identify the players & to hear what the ref & the bunker are saying - everything else is not required.

I don’t think that Anasta has ever forgiven us for that night he was made an absolute fool of when he played fullback for the dusters :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t mind Vossy and Brandy.

Cronk also does my head in as well, he tries too hard to be articulate in his speech, just say it stupid, its not that hard !

1 Like

You’re right, my math was off, for some reason I thought it was Round 18.

Anasta is one of the many reasons why the Scumdogs should have been disbanded years ago (Oasis property scandal, 2 rape allegations, biting charge, hardened shoulder pads, ethnically-aligned gangs causing trouble on public transport after scumdog losses, plus the salary cap rorting). In Anasta’s case, I recall him expressing total surprise at an extra $90,000 appearing in his annual income; apparently we are expected to believe that he would have been similarly unaware if there was $90,000 missing. Yep, pigs might fly. And they call themselves the ‘family club’. I suppose that would be akin to the Cosa Nostra.

1 Like

That reminds me of when we play Brisbane, like a couple of days ago. The commentary team is riddled with ex-Broncos, so little chance of impartiality there. Some years back we played them on a Friday night game, with most of the commentary team being ex-Broncos. Fair dinkum, for the first 10 minutes or so you wouldn’t have known who the Broncos were playing, since the Panthers weren’t part of the discussion. But that should not surprise for the Broncos. I remember before a game in 1990 or 1991 how Gene Miles described Penrith as a bunch of no-names. Well, they soon found out who these no-names were. But Brisbane have always been ready to whinge if everything doesn’t go their way. They get guaranteed free-to-air coverage, while Penrith is too readily consigned to pay TV.

2 Likes

Well it was certainly a good training run for our team.

As said, we barely got out of second gear, but no need to fret, we did only as much as we needed to do to win, we have no reason to enhance for and against after all. In a few ways I like the way the team is pacing itself leading into the finals.

The free to air vs fox discussion is welcome, channel 9 must be regretting their favoritism in scheduling with Fox having the majority of important games up until round 20, with 9 showing their much loved, cellar dwelling Broncos.

Pity the Warriors didn’t get up yesterday, the Sharks are no chance in the finals.

We will likely play either Eels, Raiders, Bunnies or Chooks week one.