[2020] R19 Cowboys v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLCowboysPanthers

:rugby_football: Match North Queensland Cowboys v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville QLD
:clock10: Time Friday 18th September 2020 6:00pm
:tickets: Tickets cowboys.com.au [Link] Restrictions Apply to NSW residents
:stadium: Gates Open 5:30pm (Only open to pre-purchased tickets)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Cloudy 26°C (63% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited number of
supporters. Redemption codes are provided for members to
claim tickets. Any remaining tickets (if any) are sold to the
general public.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 32 Tries Brian To’o, Stephen Crichton, Josh Mansour, Jarome Luai, Viliame Kikau, Brent Naden.
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/6)
North Queensland Cowboys 12 Tries Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Kyle Feldt.
Goals Valentine Holmes (2/2)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/3ku1PTz

TEAM

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: Cowboys v Panthers
:clock3: Friday 18/9 6:00pm
:stadium: Queensland Country Bank Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Moses Leota :small_red_triangle:
9. Mitch Kenny :small_red_triangle:
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo (C) :small_red_triangle:
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Spenser Leniu
16. Kurt Capewell :small_red_triangle:
17. Jack Hethrington :small_red_triangle:
RESERVE
18. Dean Whare :small_red_triangle:
19. Billy Burns :small_red_triangle:
20. Matt Burton
21. Charlie Staines
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Matt Cecchin
Sideline Officials Jon Stone
Drew Oultram
Senior Review Official Steve Clark

* Changes to NRL rules regarding bunker decisions has resulted in a reduction of video referee official from two to one. See the NRL Media Release for more information

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Matt Cecchin 2001 (4/4) 100% (18/37) 48.7% 128.5 134.5 0.96

There has been a changes to Video Referee Bunker effective from Round 19 announced by the NRL on Tuesday. The primary change is the reduction of Video Referee Officials from two to one.

Media Release below.

Oh, I thought they were going to change the coin they toss to decide try/no-try or Captains Challenges to one with 2 heads, so they get a ‘consistent’ outcome. It made me think of some years back when I did a Panther Stadium tour with Phil Barber & he pointed out the coin that was in the video-ref box.

I understand the other options considered by head clown Annesley were eenie meenie miney moe or rock/scissors/paper.

1 Like

Good to see Jack getting a run, he was certainly playing well with the warriors

If the rumour about Tamou going to the Tigers is true, there’ll be a front row spot up for grabs. Tonight’s a good opportunity for Hetherington to show he can fill it.

1 Like

Gotta say, no where near as confident with tonight’s game as I was last week. Given it’s Coops last season and home game, they will be up for it. Although the young blokes in their team won’t give a toss about it lol.

1 Like

TBH, I’m less concerned with the win tonight and more how the team performs in terms of maturity, game management etc. Resting Tamou, Koroisau & Tetevano means there’s a huge chunk of experience & steadying influence that’s gone from the side, replaced by two young blokes in Hetherington & Kenny and Capewell.

I hope Kev’s right and the Cowboys are up for the game and take it to us. It’ll be a really good test and lesson in keeping composure for a very young & inexperienced side on the eve of the finals campaign. It could be a very valuable experience to put in the bank.

1 Like

It’s going to be a long day for our boys, up & back on the same day.

I suggest it will be similar to some recent games, where the opposition will come out firing in an effort to beat us & if we meet them with our usual game, we’ll get on top and get the win.

I’ll be set up in front of TV ready to cheer them on.

I would expect that a lot rests on whether Jason Taumalolo plays; his record speaks for itself. Last I heard he was still being considered.

Nothing to worry about folks, an exhibition match on display

we have left points on the field again but my concern is for the shaft we are getting

a guy BLATANTLY tackles Crichton in the act of scoring a try, REF says its a penalty try and refers to the bunker.
Sauce gets awarded the try, no penalty try and the grub who tackled Crichton didn’t even get binned
HUH?

We are getting hit high almost every tackle, guy throws a punch at Yeo and Kikau goes on report for a lazy arm, which was a penalty at best but oh no
he goes on report

Looks like we are playing 15 on the field. them plus the ref and video ref

We look very good and when we are interested we look amazing, its the in between which needs addressing

congratulations boys on winning the Minor Premiership

amazing effort and the less said about tonight the better but its been an amazing season to date and the main prize awaits.

Enjoy the flight back and enjoy the win

Pretty well official - NRL 2020: James Tamou contract: Penrith Panthers prop joins Wests Tigers - NRL

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/3ku1PTz

Yep, plus ça change, plus c’est la mĂȘme chose. When you play for Penrith, be ready to be screwed by the system.

Woo hoo, minor premiers and well deserved.
MOM ??? Where do you start. Great to see Capewell, Hetherington, Kenny
get a run. Kenny in particular deputised for API with aplomb.

The emergence of Luai is a revelation, he’s taken his game to another level and in so doing has taken the pressure off Nathan Cleary.

A few errors creeping into our game last night (dropped balls) and some hi risk manoeuvres that phew came off, like short dropout and out the back flick passes. Kikau, Crighton and Isaiah Yeo et all played well.

From a depth perspective, a good team/squad performance with finals footy beckoning. We are in the middle of a ‘PENdemic’ . Bring it home boys!

i think Luai is our most improved player through all facets of his game and has added the dimension of “x” factor and there are not many players who rarely can harness and display the x factor and maybe smarter minds then mine will write about Luai in the coming years and his importance to the team and club.
To say his game is a revelation may be a passing comment because plenty on here knew about his talent and ability, what is the revelation is how he has changed his game to harness this talent.

He now knows when to unleash the mad side-step or his deft in goal grubbers and he can now put this back in the box and focus on really great defence and as you touched on is now a great foil for Cleary and is allowing Cleary more time

Pretty exciting times for us mad Panther fans when we have such talent in the team at a given point in time.

And Cleary the coach touched on it in his presser
Storm and Roosters have in the main been the top dogs for the past number of years and to be in the same company says a lot about this squad.

Now the real job begins, this has just been the warm up for the main game.

A home final to start our campaign is a just reward, its a damn shame we couldn’t have 20k mad Panther fans to witness the event

Maybe Panthers should put up some giant screens on the club ground , Howell Oval, Jamison Oval etc and allow fans to see the game and be heard by the players
what an enormous feeling that would provide for the team.

You could beam on the grounds big screens in our warm up of the fans outside the ground and could send up a huge roar before they warm up to know they were there

What a marketing pay off this would be and still be within Covid guidelines

1 Like

Well it really is great to be a Panther! So proud of the boys in what is an incredible season. Not much good has happened in 2020, but what our Panthers have done is fantastic.
In a match that had the potential to be a hard one for us, with the travel required, Coopers last game, & the cows last home game in a disappointing season for them. But we again shut a team down from being any real challenge, thru both attack and defence.

Our boys are truly a real team, with whatever 17 we put out on the park each week performing. Each week it is so hard to make votes for MOM, as many could get votes.

I look forward to being at the dogs game and seeing the boys presented with the trophy next week. I hope we get a large contingent of Panther fans to the game.

Do we dare to dream of being there to see them presented the ultimate trophy on 25th Oct. I think they deserve it.

2 Likes

Our first 20 minutes produced a grin from ear to ear. All I could think to myself was “Yep we are ready for this finals campaign”.

Congrats to all involved re the minor, maintain the focus for the Major !

1 Like