[2020] R9 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread

With some “softer” games coming up, I’d consider giving those with niggling injuries (Cleary, Api and Kikau) a rest, but not in the same game.

Agree with Mays pass. That was magical.

It’s a good day when despite his great effort and a fantastic deceptive try assist, I have 3 others ahead of Api for best; Edwards, Naden and May.

No one played a bad game. I hope Naden learns his defense error such as running out of the line when we are down a man, but boy oh boy does his attack make up for a defensive lapse.

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match is now open here.

https://bit.ly/2Zlixgi

How bloody good was that? It does seem we have discovered the secret sauce to scoring points - and it starts with defence! The boys have shown incredible resolve throughout the season, and it looks like the attack is finally starting to click.

Koroisau made two experienced players - Wade Graham and Chad Townsend look like reserve grade players at best with Liam Martin’s try. He’s just picking teams apart, and giving plenty of time for our talent to shine in the backline.

The jury is out on Whare, but i’m still not ready for Mansour to go. He does provide excellent metres from our 20 - he just needs to go back to basics and make sure he plays the ball properly.

Got my tickets for the Cowboys game, and i’ll be there screaming my head off - assuming of course covid doesnt interrupt that.

2 Likes

Well that was certainly a day for the ages. On a wet day, with a sparse crowd (what happened to our opportunity to buy tickets?), against a spoiling team, I expected a grind & low scoring game!
What we got was an exhibition of playing footy from a squad enjoying themselves, with skill & pace across the park, coupled with a commitment in defence, even though we leaked some points. Brought back memories of the 2003 squad.

Short of some serious injuries, we surely have seen the last of the invisible man. It was great to see again the shear joy that Naden has for playing the game. He’s been somewhat around the block since coming on the seen some years back, but this guy is developing into a real player.
Well done to young Charlie - I’m sure he is pinching himself today :slight_smile:

We were great across the park, combining brilliant attack with a level of game management that makes a good formula. The young guys will make some errors, even some of the old ones too :slight_smile: but they will more than make up for it with their athleticism, and we now are lethal on both sides of the field.

Some niggling injuries but we are coping with them. I’m not sure why Kikau came back on again near the end - he needs some downtime.

Great game boys - looking forward to joining everyone at the game on Sunday!!

2 Likes

For me, the highlight of that game was the TEAM enthusiasm for scoring points. Whether it was simply the new kid on the blok that got everyone going or not, it was an absolute treat to see all 17 enjoying and celebrating their footy. Bodes well for the remainder of the season.

With regards to the 24 against, I was only disappointed with 12 of em, the 12 that were ok from a panther point of view, 1 was a slip by Kikau, and good vision from Johnson to take advantage (ala NC against the Dragons) and the other was inevitable due to the Ref who was determined to get them over the line. Bogus 6 agains to the point where he sent of someone who did nothing wrong lol. Lets not forget the try saver on Goodwin, 3 in the tackle, he still made it over the line only for a fourth (Edwards) who flew in and knocked it out of his hands, great team effort.

Puss, isn’t that what you want from your pack, effective enough to win the battle without being spectacular…I thought that was a great team affort by our big boys, JFH, Yeo, Martin and Leota have not changed their effort all season. Leniu has been to the Leota school of running, I didn’t even realise Tetevano wasn’t there lol.

Happy Panther camper right here right now, a contrast to previous seasons to this point :star_struck:

1 Like

I agree with your point myself completely Kev.

Love to give a special shout out (again) to Leota- boy he knows how to motor (my patented commentary lol). No fuss, gets in an does his job, hard fast and straight.

If he is an inspiration for our new guys, well done!

1 Like