[2020] R9 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information #NRLSharksPanthers

:rugby_football: Match Cronulla Sharks v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kograh NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 11th July 2019 3:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Limited tickets are available by draw.
:stadium: Gates Open Event Closed to Public
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud_with_rain: Rain 17°C (40% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]
:warning: Notice NRL Matches in NSW are only open to limited supporters.
The people able to attend matches will be determined by a draw.
Please check with corresponding host team for information

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 56 Tries Charlie Staines (4), Stephen Crichton (2), Brent Naden, Liam Martin, Dylan Edwards, Billy Burns.
Goals Nathan Cleary (7/9) Stephen Crichton (1/2)
Cronulla Sharks 24 Tries Briton Nikora, Blayke Brailey, Jesse Ramien, Nene Macdonald.
Goals Shaun Johnson (4/4)

:trophy: Dally M Awards Points

3pts Dylan Edwards Penrith Panthers
2pts Charlie Staines Penrith Panthers
1pt James Fisher-Harris Penrith Panthers

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
https://bit.ly/2Zlixgi

TEAM

Telstra Premiership
:rugby_football: SHARKS v Panthers
:clock3: Saturday 11/7 3:00pm
:stadium: Pointsbet Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Brent Naden
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou (C)
9. Api Koroisau
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
14. Tyrone May
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Moses Leota
17. Billy Burns
RESERVE
18. Mitch Kenny
19. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
20. Spenser Leniu
21. Charlie Staines
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Ashley Klein
Sideline Official Todd Smith
Gavin Badger
Video Referee Jared Maxwell
Bryan Norrie

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2020 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ashley Klein 2009 (1/1) 100% (8/31) 25.81% 112.5 113 1.00

Personally i don’t think the interchange has the balance right, Tetevano and Leota i am fine with
Just think we need another big bopper like Lenui, and i think May has less to offer than say Burton
On the game, Sharks will do exactly what the Tigers did only with more sting in their attack.
Tamou needs to lift and have a big one and lead by example.

As the Robot said to Will Robinson…Danger Will Robinson!!!

I would say Danger …Nathan Cleary

They will target him and hard, which is why we need our big men to outmuscle them
Sharks have always proved difficult for us.
Who could ever forget first tackle at Shark Park all those years ago when MG knocked out Mark Mc Gaw, he got sent off but gees he made a statement and we went onto make the GF that year.
I am not saying we need someone to be sent off but we do need a forward to continually belt them up.

We should win but like any game, we need to stick to our game plan and execute at the highest level for 80 minutes.

1 Like

MG nah … just an accident. :wink:

That is where the game will be won SBF - up front. Luckily we have a team of men willing to go as hard as needed to ensure we win that area of the game.

Just on Tamou, he is off contract at the end of the year so he will be looking to impress his potential employers, hopefully we don’t re-sign him because he will immediately go back to the softly softly approach.

I am of the firm belief that there needs to be a Utility Player on the bench. I think May fills that in… we can slot him in at a number of positions.

Billy Burns is the one that concerns me. No doubt the kid has talent, be he has time settling in after coming in off the bench, I notice when he comes on he is prone to give away and error or penalty. Hopefully over time that will be less of the problem, but I am concerned about it.

1 Like

I’d like to see Spencer Leniu get a run this week. He is potentially our next Kikau & could add another dimension against a tiring forward pack.

1 Like

Yes, I suggest that 1 bench spot is best suited for a utility & May, whilst not yet at the stage of being an X-factor a la Peachey, is very versatile & so presents options that perhaps Burton does not.
The role for Tetevano & Leota is clear cut - on after 20 or 25’ and continue the efforts of Fish & Tamou in the middle. I suggest it is more difficult for the 3rd forward benchie. As our backrowers are capable of extended playing time, there is no fixed formula for the benchie, be they Burns or Leniu or ??? It is often difficult for someone in that role to ‘get into’ the game & perhaps a ‘good’ opportunity for negative involvement rather than positive.
Maybe IC favours Burns at this time because he can perhaps cover an injury in the backline. With Yeo now an 80’ middle forward, we don’t have him to fill in at centre which happened in the past. I have been a little disappointed in Burns recent displays, but I did like what he showed with limited opportunities before. Honestly I haven’t seen enough of Spencer to make any judgement - no lower grades footy is an issue in assessing players not regularly in the 17. Is Spencer a right-side or left-side player normally?
I’m sure that IC has his plans, including for the inevitable injury cover. Young Jack is getting some match practice, which may be valuable to us at some point.

With Tetavano out Lenui will get his opportunity today.

It would never happen due to him being captain, but I would like to see Tahmou moved to the bench to give the human cannonball Leota more minutes with plenty of rest time. Play him the first and last 15 - 20 minutes of the match.

Burns has looked better the longer he has been on the field. I think playing in the centres also helps his development, like it did with Yeo. It’s just so hard to give these fringe guys match time with no reserve grade.

Happy with May as the bench utility. He is capable in almost all positions do plenty of coverage there.

Last week was an unusual usage of the the second rowers, they played for 80 with very limited runs. Obviously a game plan to use them as decoys. Wonder if we will see similar today?

1 Like

Charlie Staines to debut - in for Whare who’s still out with toe injury.

So a few changes and some wet weather - hope the boys can get the job done.

Have I ever mentioned the sharks are the team I despise most (well equal to the Eels lol).

This could be high scoring, they like to attack on the outside, we are strong up the middle.

I’m quietly hopeful

2 Likes

Agree, SHF. Fingers crossed!

First 30 was probably the best 30 mins we have played this year, last 10 probably the worst 10. Hopefully we can reset during the break & get home.

1 Like

By far my most despised team (even more than Eels). Probably has something to do with living in the Shire for 40 years & having to put up with their supporters on a constant basis. If we drop this game, the usual suspects (who I only hear from occasionally) will be quick to let me know about it.

A lot of what i thought would happen has…albeit we pulled their pants down but i think we looked at the scoreboard
But they are doing what Tigers did, hands in faces, hands on balls…next they will try and start the fight
Panthers need to get back on script and quickly

1 Like

Hopefully we have learnt to respect the opposition.

On the bright side, how good is Edwards! 1 try and 2 x try assists.

Charlie Staines is going good too

2 Likes

i think this score shows we haven’t
I am bitterly disappointed about their 24, teams who win comps don’t leak 24 against a mob who in my opinion are very ordinary

we get the chocolates but not sure we have come to grips with when we are in front what should we do

Edwards in going great and giving us options in attack.

1 Like

While I agree with your sentiment, the Sharks weren’t ordinary coming into this match, we made them look that way.

Very happy with the result. I’d have Staines, Crichton, Naden and To’o as my backs any day, as good as the service sauce and Whare have given, the time is now for the new generation.

Our spine is on fire. Our forwards the best in the comp. Welcome back Tyrone May, super effort in the second half.

We are showing different ways to win each week against different opposition.

Referring was appalling. How wasn’t Burns try a 8 pointer?

I hope we haven’t peaked too early, but we still show signs of improvement which is encouraging.

Welcome to first grade Charlie Stynes!

1 Like

i think the 56 points against suggests they are ordinary and i hadn’t seen them play a complete game before today and my view holds…they are terrible

i also agree we were very good yet again we gave up 3 tries through mistakes and one through a poor defensive read and why i suggest its the 24 against us i am disappointed about

On the Woods potential penalty try, it couldn’t be a penalty try as it was an offence in the act of scoring, he was in the field of play
The question which comes out of it is why wasn’t he either sin binned or put on report for a blatant head high?

Tamou got 10 for being on side when it should have been martin copping the penalty for the leg pull.
Typically were we on the wrong side again with penalties with the ref.

On selections, Whare cannot even be considered to come back in, Naden is playing great.
May’s pass to Staines was sublime and Lenui showed plenty of energy and effort and would like to see him build up some game time.
Burns seem to give away a penalty and or mistake when he first comes on but shows plenty as his game time grows.
Hope NC’s foot/ankle is OK and all the boys pull up ok

1 Like

… well done Charlie Staines welcome to the NRL, Luai is showing considerable improvement. Forwards were able without being spectacular.
Mansour should know how to play a ball by now, messy. Crighton too is
showing improvement. Dylan Edwards brings a whole new attacking zeal to our ball game, exciting.

1 Like