[2021] GF Panthers v Rabbitohs - Game Day Thread

To me, this premiership means more than just being number one & winning the competition. I have been through some very tough times in recent years, and the distraction of the games & our discussions on this forum, has kept me going at times.

It was about 3 years ago that my father his started final downhill decline. He had been sick for a number of years, but that last year or so of his life was hell, with constant doctors visits & trips to the hospital (not to mention the at home care I had to provide at times). It was a little under 2 years ago that he passed away.

A few months later we found out that one of my uncles didn’t have long left. I hadn’t seen him for a while, mostly due to circumstances beyond my control, and with him living about 4-5 hours away it took some planning to get there. I organised some time to see him, but he passed away the week before I could get up to see him. Ironically he had played lower grades for Souths back in the day, and today happens to be the first anniversary of his death.

Just weeks after that, a good mate from work took his own life. No one saw it coming, as he always seemed like the happiest bloke. I guess we never know what people are going through.

A couple of months later, my best mate Jim, who I went to games with, took his own life. It made it incredibly hard to turn up to each home game, but I somehow managed to get there each game until Covid hit. All year I kept thinking to myself “We have to do it for Jim”.

Not long after Jim’s death, we heard that another uncle, who also lived about 4-5 hours away, didn’t have long left. I had holidays due in August, but something told me not to wait, so I took a week of long service in May. It turned out to be the right decision, as he passed the week before I would have got there if I had waited, and Covid would have stopped me getting there anyway.

When the siren sounded last night, I had a tear in my eye as I thought to myself “We did it for Jim.”

After all the struggles of the last few years, this was my reward for continuing to put one foot in front of the other, no matter how difficult it was.

Thank you to the team for their effort to bring home the trophy. Thank you also to all the mates who have helped me through.

And finally thank you to everyone on this forum. Let’s enjoy our premiership.

7 Likes

Thats really beautiful mutts. Something i noticed on the streets of Penrith last night, was the different types of people celebrating. Just about every culture or ethnicity was represented. Nobody cared, everybody was celebrating.

Footy can just bring our community together and it’s honestly inspiring. So greatful to have been brought up around here, and have such an amazing footy team to support.

5 Likes

I hate to be political on here, but this is too funny not to share
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Fantastic summary SHF….nothing I can add. Cant wait for next season…. Im excited already!!!

1 Like

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

I was way too hung over to say that yesterday !

Woop - There it is :trophy: :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who runs this site. It’s great to get on and read what true supporters are thinking along with throwing a few comments in myself. Great job. Thank you

Do we know if we get to play the World Cup Challenge next year?

Do we know what’s being planned when the boys get home?

5 Likes

Agreed. It is important to know the facts, not the sanitised version that Penrith Panthers website provides, nor the unsympathetic media. Plus, the news behind the news, and the intelligent fan analyses.

1 Like

Good question re the world Club challenge Grigsy, it’s still up in the air as far as I know.

Regardless of the result next weekend we will be playing a former panther in either Coote or Jimmy.

I do hope it goes ahead

https://fb.watch/8vF2iOCkj7/

1 Like

More good news

2 Likes

I’d suggest that having a sold-out Penrith Park for home games will be dependent on the team performance. Fans can be fickle (who would have thought?) and a run of losses will soon see dropping loyalty, interest and attendance.

1 Like

That’s true Pete, but we seem to have a fair quantity of true fans (such as on this site), compared to fair weather clubs like the roosters.

2 Likes

Yeah but we’re more popular/populace now,
hell we even got our ‘own’ LGA. :wink:

1 Like

That’s true Puss, where a one team town, one town team.

The noise and fireworks here after the final siren was something to behold.

Sure I have never seen my neighbors at games, but they all pulled on the jersey and decorated the house for the game.

We all except my neighbors out the back who are parra fans :joy: let’s just say after the elimination final I was shouting 86,86,86 as loud as a drunken fool could

3 Likes

Kevin there to lend a hand ? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

And to make it funnier, Arthur’s tenure has been extended until the end of 2024. Go the Eels, where Eels belong, down the gurgler! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I refuse to talk to them people Puss, wherever possible.

I won a raffle once at work when I was at Pirtek, it was a fully signed jersey, didn’t take it off the raffle table. Everyone asking me could they have it, I said no it has to go in the bin :rofl:

The CEO gave it to a sick kid…I told him he wouldn’t make him any better with that !!

2 Likes

Apparently Eminem predicted the GF result!!!

1 Like

Well today we finally got to celebrate the Premiership win as a club, squad, members & fans. It was a great day, well organised and done just right.
Thousands lined the streets of Penrith for the parade & the gathering in the Stadium was most enjoyable. So many happy faces inside & outside the fences.
The couple of possible negatives were well handled.

Congratulations to all involved. Let’s hope we can celebrate again next year!!!

4 Likes