[2021] R1 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread

Was out front and centre for this one last night and the conditions were not the best, it was humid and warm for a night game.

Penrith seemed to slowly work their way into the game, but looked more comfortable with the ball in the second half. New wing pairings made for a few errors, but overall was happy with the performance. Cleary and Luai are getting better together each time they play. May also did a great job in hooker for the last 25 minutes.

Big effort by Yeo and Capewell (sorry Kev). Both them playing almost 70 minutes in those hard conditions, both of them taking some hard knocks. Both of them scoring tries.

There is a lot to improve on, but for a first round hit out, I think they did pretty well.

2 Likes

Hard one for MOTM this week. Aside from Yeo, not too many standouts. Players playing their part to get the result.

with some time to reflect i actually thought our forwards went pretty well and think we may have the mix about right with the rule changes which lend itself to a faster game.

that being said they too were not at their best but my real concern oddly enough is with our 2 centres and SHF touched on it as well.
Crichton was at best average and Mamarovski was only slightly better,
and despite my view on May he straightened things up and was good when he came on.
Biggest congrats goes to our wonderful supporters who made it to the game and to our grounds people as the ground looked magnificent.

3 Likes

It was interesting to hear the TV commentary experts focussing on Penrith having the most successful challenges for round 1. But what was unspoken was that this reflects that we had the most unfair calls against us. That would be the norm for previous decades; over those years we had little choice except to suck it up and just get used to being treated ilke s@&t. Now we have the chance to right the wrongs, and to embarrass the referees / system in the process.

2 Likes

Some hard task masters here given it was round 1.

I personally thought it was a perfect first game of the season. Also, it looked to me that we wanted to challenge our defense in the 2nd half, we were always in control of that game and used it to our advantage. The fact they had a 0 on the scorecard speaks volumes.

Happy to say Capewell played solidly, cost me though, didn’t have him as 1st try scorer and in hindsight was probably the omen bet i should’ve had :rofl:

Fact is, Cowboys will be bottom 8, and we played them perfectly.

3 Likes