[2021] SF Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels
:stadium: Venue BB Print Stadium, Mackay QLD
:clock10: Time Saturday 18th September 2021 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via NRL.com
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Mostly Clear 20°C (2% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine HD (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 8 Tries Kurt Capewell.
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/2)
Parramatta Eels 6 Tries Waqa Blake.
Goals Mitchell Moses (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Penrith Panthers Parramatta Eels
TEAM TEAM
Dylan Edwards 1 Fullback 1 Clinton Gutherson ©
Stephen Crichton 2 Wing 2 Haze Dunster
Paul Momirovski 3 Centre 3 Will Penisini
Matt Burton 4 Centre 4 Waqa Blake
:small_red_triangle:Brent Naden 20 Wing 5 Blake Ferguson
Jarome Luai 6 Fiev-Eighth 6 Dylan Brown
Nathan Cleary © 7 Halfback 7 Mitchell Moses
Moses Leota 8 Forward 8 Reagan Campbell-Gillard
Apisai Koroisau 9 Hooker 9 Ray Stone
James Fisher-Harris 10 Forward 10 Junior Paulo
Viliame Kikau 11 Second Row 11 Shaun Lane
Kurt Capewell 12 Second Row 12 Marata Niukore
Isaah Yeo © 13 Lock 13 Nathan Brown
INTERCHANGE INTERCHANGE
Mitch Kenny 14 Interchange 14 Will Smith
Scott Sorensen 15 Interchange 15 Isaiah Papali’i
Tevita Pangai Junior 16 Interchange 16 Bryce Cartwright
Liam Martin 17 Interchange 17 Ryan Matterson
RESERVE RESERVE
Spencer Leniu 18 Reserve 18 Makahesi Makatoa
Izack Tago 19 Reserve 19 Oregon Kaufusi
:injured::small_red_triangle_down:Brian To’o 20 Reserve 20 Tom Opacic
:small_red_triangle_down:Tyrone May 21 Reserve 21 Jakob Arthur
COACH COACH
Ivan Ceary HC Coach HC Brad Arthur
Cameron Ciraldo AC Coach AC David Kidwell
Andrew Webster AC Coach AC Steve Murphy

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Ashley Klein
Sideline Official Phil Henderson
Jon Stone
Video Referee Grant Atkins

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2021 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Ashley Klein 2009 (3/5) 60% (13/38) 34.21% 145.5 148 0.98

Just reading both Edwards and Leota will be available for the Eels game and Sorenson for the Storm game if we get past Eels.

That solves 2 immediate problems, getting Staines and Eisenhuth out of the squad but against Eels i would have Naden on the bench with Lenui,Kikau and TPJ
Eels today showed how they want to make their game a forwards game and we will need to match them and the rope a dope is still on their wing so set plays from aa scrum close to the line will be evident again…maybe with a twist this time

1 Like

I feel sick thinking about this game for obvious reason - I HATE these grubs

Ivan Cleary has been to 2 Grand Finals as a Coach. The first, he lost to a better side. Last year, he was definitely out-coached by Bellamy. Then, last week, if he wasn’t out-coached, he was certainly out-manoeuvred by Bennett.

There’ll be a lot of pressure on him over the next few weeks. I hope he handles it well.

3 Likes

100% Bryan, coz if he doesn’t we’re gone.

1 Like

Yes, Puss. We’ll be gone & he’ll have huge question marks about his team management in the games that count and his ability to win a Grand Final.

If Ivan was moved on, then I wonder who else might go with him. (And I don’t mean Tyrone May). Hopefully the point is moot.

Ivan moved on, unlikely. But a loss to arch rivals in a semi-final won’t
look good on his resume.

I can’t see how Ivan would be sacked. Still a far better result than a lot of coaches that still have their jobs.

Please don’t ever speak like this again Puss, positive projections only !

1 Like

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

Looks like we may be back to full strength :slight_smile:

If all are fit I’d take 1-13 as named (perhaps again using Kiks from bench & start Marto) & 15, 16, 17 & 21, Api needs to play pretty much the full 80’ & no use having Kenny as backup then, so TMay as utility.

I was very nervous last week, particularly with Dylan out and then Moses as late drop-out, but if we play anywhere near our best & convert our chances we should win.

Great side named - IMO we should go back to what WAS working during the season and that was starting with Kikau and having Marto as our bench edge forward. His energy can change the game just as much as Kikau.

Geez I hope Tóo is not injured, I was watching him after being tackled against Souths and he was limping on more than 1 occasion. If Moses and Edwards are fully fit, we are cheering.

Surely Sorenson isn’t playing, that would be a remarkable recovery :thinking:

A lot of people accused the Panthers of being over confident last weekend. But I wonder whether it was the opposite problem. They went into that game looking very serious, like they did in the GF last year. They did not seem to be their normal confident and fun loving selves, just out there to enjoy the game. Maybe overthinking their game is not good for them.

I really think that a major part Souths game plan was to target and hurt To’o. Everyone knows what an attacking weapon he is.

1 Like

Lets hope it was just isolated to their grubby tactics and he doesn’t have recurring problems after his surgery. However even his aggressive running style was not there, I fear he cannot put too much pressure on his ankle, thus stopping him from progress after contact.

We will see how he goes this weekend !

i am concerned about this game.
Firstly Eels will be confident coming off their win v Knights plus we only just beat their understrength side 2 weeks ago.
We could be very flat off our effort against Souths and our form has been patchy at best over the last 6 to 8 weeks

Added to this Eels will want to take our forwards on as they did against the Knights and special attention will again be put on Too and his kick returns.

Its always seemed odd to me his kick returns are our go to play and how teams really haven’t choked this but Souths did last week

I hope we have an alternate like lets kick when we received the ball and turn their big boppers around.
Next ploy is not to kick to Gutherson, we will need to kick to the corners and have them come out of the corners.
Our bench will be key as we will need to maintain the rage as we rotate players and we will need size and mobility.
There is a bit going on in this final and i will be keen to see what tactics we have and deploy against the Eels.

In saying that though @steamboatfarmer I think the Eels may misinterpret the Panthers loss as potential weakness.

I feel they will go the route of trying what Souths did last week to put Penrith under pressure, but the situation was different and the Eels have nowhere near the quality of play than they did last week. Not to mention the times we shot ourselves in the foot.

The team will be working to remedy that this week. If the Eels were smart they would be coming in with a different strategy. The came out and beat a underwhelming Knights side. I feel the Eels will come of the blocks quickly and try to set the tone, but the Panthers will ride it out and settle the ship to a win.

1 Like

Agree Steve - They are a 10 minute team, if they DO get the ascendancy early, it keeps them in the game…

We match em and or beat em up in the middle early, we can own them.

1 Like