[2021] SF Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

I have just watched NRL360 and I think there is a fair chance that by tomorrow that the Panthers will be accused of the assassination of JFK. Seriously no mention of the game being stopped for Waqa Blake when he was off the field!! The 2 penalties that the Eels got were both for dubious reasons to say the least.
There is only one way to answer this and that is win the comp and very politely raise a middle finger!!!

3 Likes

Agree with Kevin about Kikau…he was ordinary in last years GF and hes had a mostly disappointing season. Something wrong somewhere physically or mentally or both. Hope hes not rewarded with a big new contract. With his size if made the effort and had the determination of someone like Liam Martin he would be awesome. But he doesnt.

3 Likes

Peter Green suspended & club fined $20K over Kennygate.

I just put his reply up in a Facebook post. Will be interesting to see the reponses:

Hypothetical situation:

We let play continue, Parra drop the ball, Chricton picks it up & starts running downfield. The closest chaser has to run around Kenny, slowing him down, which I’m sure they would whinge about. Or maybe the chaser doesn’t notice Kenny because he is focusing on Chricton & runs into Kenny causing more damage, and potentially injuring himself. What then?

So, if we get some consistency here, the NRL will be generating itself a lot of income in future. Oh no, wait a minute. Did I say “consistency”? Silly me.

2 Likes

I don’t think we can blame him for the Kikau incident.

He looked to have overrun the ball - but yer, had no chance to atone with Kikau in the way.

Can anyone explain Dylan Edward’s reaction to the bomb that led to the Blake try? I’ve never seen such a ‘stunned mullet’ reaction; it gifted Blake the ball. It was particularly dumbfounding, given Edward’s normal rock-solid work under the high ball.

that’s the problem with all of the comments from Eels…its hypothetical

one could go on and with a minute to go they are attacking our line and Paulo drops the ball…why aren’t they whining about that dope losing the game for them?

They are focussed on a trainer stopping play which just happens to be in the rules…if its wrong change the rules

Ref stopped the play when Ferguson was “faking” an injury…but that’s OK

see the trend.

and the meathead who was on report twice for head highs gets a one week supsension NOT for both hits but the hit on Sorenson.
and he has been up 4 times before the judiciary and only cops a week.

trend anyone?

IF Cleary ever needed any motivation for the team in a prelim and if he is relying on motivation we are in trouble…but if he wanted to add some spice to the week all he has to do is report to the boys how Eels are whining about our win and how we will have to beat the other mob plus 1 to win.

I cannot recall so much whining from a losing side

Maybe the Eels should ask their players why they could only score 6 points and they came from a hail mary play.

Eels have had nothing all year and all their noise only proves to me they agree!!!

1 Like

SBF - The rule states the trainer MUST attend the injured player before requesting a stoppage, he didn’t in this instance.

My ONLY argument would be, it is the touch judges fault, he should have asked the trainer if he had attended and assessed the injury first, if he says Yes, rub him out for all of next season, if the answer is No, the touch judge should have said nothing to the ref.

It is a loop hole that we manipulated…EVERYONE does it. The first episode of Tales from Tiger town has clearly highlighted the (ALL) Coach’s tactics.

Looked like he lost it in the lights. Sports ground lighting is a compromised system that is better for tv than for players. Being a largely ‘untelevised’ ground I suspect that the lighting isn’t great and it just managed to come down from just the wrong angle. As he had lost track, it took him some time to see where it bounced to.

3 Likes

Tom, great point - Also I heard it mentioned that the wind played a significant factor, we only tried the one bomb like that as well, running the same way. If you go back and watch the game, running left to right on TV was into the wind, hence the massive Moses kicks getting them out of trouble in the first half.

I think that’s what happened, and also some credit should be given to the kicker in this instance - sometimes the kicker just gets it right & makes it very difficult for the catcher.
Dylan was unlucky that the bounce went the way it did - on other occasions I have seen in the same situation the ball bounce & go harmlessly over the dead ball line for a 7 tackle restart :frowning:

Yea, I get all that; it was a superb kick, the Qld coastal breezes can be strong and the lighting positions might have played a part. I was just thinking about Dylan’s reaction immediately the ball bounced. He didn’t seem to even to try to follow the ball, hence my comment about a stunned mullet. It was like he was hit with a stun gun for a critical moment. Anyway, not a big issue, just one that struck me as weird and unfortunate. Thankfully it didn’t prove fatal to us. Now I’m looking to Sunday’s papers waxing lyrical about Penrith’s sublime performance against Melbourne.

Agree Pete, his attempted tackle of Blake was a shocker, late by about 3 minutes ha haaa