[2022] GF Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

3 Likes

Didn’t get out of bed till 2pm yesterday, today very very lethargic…

HAPPY DAYS !!

5 Likes

3 Likes

With just over a week past since our magnificent victory, I have time to collect my thoughts, plus watched a replay on tv yesterday.

We won the game in the first 15 minutes through the defensive aggression of our forwards - two of which I have new nicknames for;

Moses the missile - an unbelievable effort from the best forward on the ground. Talked the eels into submission with monster hits again and again. In one set he made 4 consecutive tackles all over the field, then joined forces with Kikau to pressure the kicker (Moses) on the last. Got back into the line quickly then took 2 hit ups - both with lightning quick play the balls.

Kenny the kamikaze - just through himself at every player with the ball, either tackling directly or making first contact for others to finish off. Great service from dummy half. After the damage was done and Api came on, continued to carry the ball up as a front rower and make a ton of tackles.

Worthy mention of Fish, Martin, Kikau and Yeo, who provided support to these 2. Mind you not a weak spot in our defense, some great one on one tackles from Cleary, Tago and Luai.

After 15 minutes we let loose with all cannons. I was confident we would come home over the top of them following a softening up period, but never thought it would happen this quick.

Edwards stood up to be counted in the best game of his career. Best fullback in the game atm. We all knew his defense was top notch but who would have thought he could inject himself into the attack with such aplomb? Worthy winner of the Clive Churchill.

To’o had one of his best games as well, just ran and ran, never missed a catch or tackle (when it mattered anyway).

Hard to believe this is Tago’s first full year in first grade, he’s a fantastic defensive centre, with a great step and pass. To think he ably replaced Burton and made the team stronger speaks loudly for him and the Penrith system, and to think some in the media thought we would have Jennings in the centres this season lol.

Critta seems to lift for Grand finals, thankfully he tightened up his defence after a forgettable game where I called for his dropping. I’ll eat humble pie. Great game

Welcome to the GF Charlie Staines! What a great performance - I don’t think May could have done better. Two things about Charlie come to mind - firstly he settles the team structure better with To’o playing his favorite side. Secondly he has learnt how to inject himself into the game coming infield, and showing some of his natural fullback ability. I don’t know what it is but he seems to make Critta more fluid in attack too, but that would be more video study for another day.

Cleary and Luai just played their natural great running, passing and kicking game. A lot more growth in these two is a scary prospect.

Api injection started the attack firing, albeit the Eels were done by then.

Our bench all played their part, and can be equally proud of their efforts. As can Sos as 18th man - he carried us for much of the season.

Our coaching staff and lower grades all deserve thanks for the season and our success (across 4 grades nonetheless). Cleary can hold his head up as not just Penriths best ever coach, but one of the leagues best of all time.

In the way we played, and the way we win, I’d also like to give thanks to 2 former players both named James - Tahmou and Maloney. Our current forwards all learnt under Tahmou, and Cleary in particular benefited from Jimmy’s way of blocking out the outside world, and brushing off negativity.

Farewell Api and Kiks, I have a feeling we have seen the best of you.

With success in the lower grades and lots of talent coming through, I hope we share these good times again next year and beyond.

One very happy Panther

5 Likes