[2022] QF Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

QF Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 9th September 2022 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek SOLD OUT
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP SF Newtown Jets v Penrith Panthers 10/9 1:00pm1
JFLEGG SF Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra Dragons 10/9 11:00am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 16Ā°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 11% / :wind_face: Wind: W 10km/h
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Finals to be played Saturday 10/9 at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Carlton NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership Qualifying Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 27 Tries Brian Toā€™o (2), Dylan Edwards, James Fisher-Harris.
Goals Nathan Cleary (5/5) FG Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Parramatta Eels 8 Tries Oregon Kaufusi
Goals Mitchell Moses (2/2) FG Mitchell Moses (0/1)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup Semi Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 Tries Robert Jennings (2), Sunia Turuva (2), Sean Oā€™Sullivan.
Goals Kurt Falls (4/7)
Newtown Jets 18 Tries Oregon Kaufusi
Goals Mitchell Moses (2/2) FG Mawene Hiroti (3/3)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup Semi Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 36 Tries Isaiah Iongi (2), Niwhai Puru, Cody Lawson, Hohepa Puru, Ativalu Lisati, Keagan Russell-Smith.
Goals Niwhai Puru (4/7)
St George Illawarra 26 Tries Alexander Lobb (2), Benjamin Johnson, Callum Gromek, Toby Couchman.
Goals Sam Hooper (3/5)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP REPORT

JERSEY FLEGG CUP REPORT

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock On Effect NSW Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Qualifying Final Major Semi Final Minor Semi Final
:rugby_football: Panthers v Eels :rugby_football: Jets v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v Dragons
:clock3: Friday 9/9 7:50pm :clock3: Saturday 10/9 1:00pm :clock3: Saturday 10/9 11:00am
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium :stadium: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Charlie Staines 1. Isaiah Iongi
2. Taylan May 2. Christian Crichton 2. Cody Lawson
3. Izack Tago 3. Robert Jennings 3. Sam Lane
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Tom Jenkins 4. William Fakatoumafi
5. Brian Toā€™O 5. Sunia Turuva 5. Daeon Amituanai
6. Jarome Luai 6. Sean Oā€™Sullivan 6. Niwhai Puru
7. Nathan Cleary Ā© 7. Kurt Falls 7. Keagan Russell-Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Lindsay Smith 8. Mavrik Geyer
9. Apisai Koroisau 9. Soni Luke 9. Ryley Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Eddie Blacker 10. Brad Fearnley
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Preston Riki 11. Zac Lipowicz
12. Liam Martin 12. Chris Smith 12. Ativalu Lisati
13. Isaah Yeo Ā© 13. Jā€™Maine Hopgood 13. Hohepa Puru
INTERCHANGE
14. Mitch Kenny 14. Jack Cole 14. Billy Scott
15. Scott Sorensen 15. Alec Susino 15. Ilai Tuia
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Liam Henry 16. Sunita Lotoaniu
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. John Faiumu 17. Harry Hassett
RESERVES 18. Isaiah Iongi
18. Charlie Staines 18. Liam Ison
19. Matt Eisenhuth 19. Jack Garrod
20. Jā€™Maine Hopgood :small_red_triangle_down: 20. Aston Warwick
21. Sean Oā€™Sullivan :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Mason Teague
22. Chris Smith :small_red_triangle_down: 22. Tyreece Tonga
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Peter Wallace HC Jono Rolfe
AC Andrew Webster AC Kevin Kingston
AC Cameron Ciraldo

Ā  :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change Ā  Ā  Ā  :small_red_triangle: Moved into squad Ā  Ā  Ā  :small_red_triangle_down: Moved out of Squad Ā  Ā  Ā  āœš Injury or Medical Related

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton Darian Furner Jake Sutherland
Sideline Official Phil Henderson Liam Nicholls Cameron Mitchell
Michael Wise Nick Beashel Luke Heckendorf
Video Referee Adam Gee - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2022 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2006 (2/4) 50% (26/40) 56.52% 180 180 1.00

Got our tickets this morning - about 15mins to get thru on website. Already was showing limited allocation or single tickets only in most categories.
So I chose ā€˜best availableā€™ and got our 3 tickets in Bay 33. Now have the tickets and see they are in eels supporters section :open_mouth:
Hope we go wellā€¦

I tried to get a family ticket with a mate. By the time either of us could get on it was down to single seats. I ended up in my regular bay, 2 rows back, at the opposite end. My mate & his kids have been left with GA tickets. There really should have been an option for season ticket holders to buy their own seats before anyone else got a go at it. There is a risk that we could be outnumbered by Parra supporters at our ā€œhome finalā€. Ridiculous!!!

Got my tickets. Used to the closeness of the Western Terrace but the closest seats were in the Eastern Grandstand. My lord those tickets were selling fast.

I had a sticky beak a hour later and most tickets left were ā€˜singlesā€™. I donā€™t imagine many tickets making it to the General Public.

How is this event going to be a home ground advantage? There is nothing to give preference to Penrith fans. That would only work if the other team came from a long way away, and hence their supporters would be disinclined to travel. In contrast, there couldnā€™t be a closer opponent than Parra, especially as many of their fans are spread west of Parramatta and throughout Penrith territory. I expect the Parra fans to dominate the crowd and the cheering. The only advantage to Penrith would be in the nature of the playing surface, the local wind and the climate. None of those three apply to this game.

Iā€™ve suggested in a couple of Facebook posts that we should start hammering the NRL about the ticket allocation for this game. Probably wonā€™t do any good, but if we donā€™t voice our disapproval we surrender & allow them to do it again.

1 Like

Here is what I wrote to the NRL. Feel free to copy & edit.

I am writing to express my disgust with the way finals tickets have been allocated for the Panthers ā€œhome finalā€.

I have been a season ticket holder with Panthers for over 20 years. I have been part of a group of about 10 who have been sitting together for most or all of this time.

In the past we have had the option to purchase our seats before they go on sale to anyone else. This year we were not given that option. As a result we have been split up & moved to different areas around the stadium. For some of us, we have had to purchase single seats, due to there being no other options left by the time we could log in to Ticketek to purchase tickets.

Not only have we had to compete with other Panthers fans, some buying more tickets than usual, we have also had to compete with opposition fans for the same seats.

We are looking at a very real possibility that there could be more opposition fans at our ā€œhome finalā€ because we were not given first shot at securing our seats.

Every Panthers fan I have spoken to today is equally disgusted with this situation, and we do not wish to see this happen again.

Home season ticket holders should be given priority for supporting their team. We are the ones who outlay hundreds of dollars every year to see our team play at home. People who arenā€™t prepared to make that commitment & people who support the opposition teams should not have equal opportunity to purchase tickets for these games. They can take whatever is left when we are rewarded for our loyalty.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard it voiced in the past, particularly when Parra is in disarray (on and off the field), that when Parra is going well, so is the game. Itā€™s clearly in the NRLā€™s perceived interest to have them beat us on Friday. The last thing that I want is to be sitting amongst a mob of cheering Eels supporters.

Also, I tried to purchase a ticket as soon as the 10:00 am opening on Monday. The system crashed me part way through the process, so I had to start again. Then I found out that I had been given two seats, and charged twice, with no way of reversing that mistake in any way. I have lodged an online request for a refund (no reply yet). It is impossible to talk to a person at Ticketek. So, depending on their response, I might have a ticket for sale in East / Block 4 / B9, if anyone here (or a friend/relative) wants it.

1 Like

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP QULAIFYING FINAL

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP MAJOR SEMI FINAL

JERSEY FLEGG CUP MINOR SEMI FINAL

After last weeks effort surprised Eddie Blacker didnt at least get named as a reserveā€¦I think he has plenty of potential to be a strike weapon off the bench next season. His effort in Townsville was great to watch. Just on Townsville was anyone else in bay 222 surrounded by Cowboys fansā€¦we brought our tickets thinking it was the away supporters area but had cows in front, beside and behind us. Great stadium though. Good luck to all Panthers grades in the upcoming finals games. Go Panthers.

2 Likes

Iā€™d have thought weā€™d have another big body on the bench. Blacker, Hopgood or Eisenhuth, in at the expense of Salmon.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t have another forward on the bench. I think the idea of having two utilities on the bench is the right strategy. In that case we are covered across the field. Kenny can slot into Hooker and the Second Row and Salmon can cover the halves and centre positions.

That lineup leaves us with the best flexibility for the finals. I also think Salmon has done enough this year to earn his spot on the bench.

2 Likes

Good looking line up, but expecting a tough game.

I expect the first 20 will be a physical battle. Will Api start or Kenny?

1 Like

I would start with Kenny, like we did against Souths.

We will need our best defense to contain Parraā€™s first 25-30mins

This is the sort of game that we should win, unless we beat ourselves (dropped balls, ill discipline, sloppy dummy half carelessness), not to mention factors out of our control (refereeing, bounce-of-the-ball). Also, depending on when tomorrowā€™s predicted wet weather clears, it could be a wet,slippery surface.

1 Like

I wonder if it might have been better if May had sat out the next 2 games. I donā€™t see that him being out changes whether the Panthers win or lose. But the Panthers haters will continue to winge and carry on that letting him play gave the Panthers the game.

Updated Team List

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Friday nightā€™s Qualifying Final against Parramatta at a sold-out BlueBet Stadium.

The starting side is unchanged from what was named on Tuesday afternoon, while Charlie Staines and Matt Eisenhuth remain on an extended bench.

Panthers will wear the 2022 Alternate Jersey.

I am here and ready to go.

I hope to god we donā€™t lose this game.

Should be a rippa

2 Likes

1 Like