[2023] GF Panthers v Broncos - Game Day Thread

Watched the replay of the grand final yesterday, after being at the game last Sunday. Some
Further observations;

Broncos first try was short of the line with Yeo’s hand under the ball. As it was awarded, understand it was inconclusive to overturn it, yet had it gone upstairs to begin with, I believe would have been a no try.

Broncos HIA for Flegler was a joke and nothing more than a free additional interchange.

We were lucky with a couple of red calls.

Edwards was outstanding in the first half and was on his way to second CCM.

Leota was close to a CCM performance both with all his spells.

Kenny was outstanding at Hooker for the whole
Game.

Tago was a bit rocks and diamonds. Good first half, although muffed two try scoring opportunities by not passing to an unmarked To’o, tired badly in the second half - lack of match fitness showed.

Smith was great for the most part, although unknown if fatigue from the heat, or unfamiliarity with defending out wide, caused Man to make him look a bit foolish in defence.

The comeback was lead by Leota, Cleary, Fish, Cogger and Edwards. The change in Cleary playing at 5/8, makes me wonder. Cogger took the game management off him, which allowed Cleary to play eyes up footy both sides of the ruck. With loosing Cogger, not sure who we could have at half if we made Cleary 5/8. Reminded me so much of Thurston the way he transitioned.

I think swapping sides with Critta and Tago proved a mistake. Not that we have to worry about Critta next year.

Esra Man is an absolute freak. With 20 to go they would have been engraving his name on the CCM. Reynolds left nothing in the tank, but sure made some errors which we ultimately capitalized on.

While injured, and trying hard, Luai was a passenger the whole time on the field. Completely ineffective in attack and a liability in defence.

To’o and Turuva both had outstanding games.

While basically a cameo, I thought Garner played well and did the job he needed to do. Real purpose in his runs which helped the comeback.

Martin was an absolute monster most of the game, however heat related fatigue did show in his defence in the second half.

The impact of the southerly change arriving cannot be underestimated. Out guys got their second wind (literally), Cleary kicked a 40:20, and rubbish was blown all over the field.

We were heading to an absolute hiding, yet held our nerve and stuck to the game plan. Even at 16 points down we were still kicking to the corners, instead of throwing the ball around. The faith and patience this team shows is second to none.

Can we make 4? Of course we can. Nothing guaranteed of course, and we will probably take a while to work out our 3/4 combinations. But we showed something in that game which makes me think we are going to be in and around the top 2 for many years to come.

We simply have the trust, teamwork, patience and self-belief to overcome any other team or challenge we face.

Now I know why some are calling this not only the best rugby league team of all time, but perhaps the best all time team of any sport.

3 Likes

Seems the WWE has joined the party acknowledging the Panthers undisputed NRL Title reign

https://twitter.com/penrithpanthers/status/1710449473988517979

IMG_3672

2 Likes

3 Likes

Still celebrating the 3-PEAT!

Christmas Eve drink of the Panthers Premiers 2023 Lager, brewed in Penrith at the Rusty Penny

Cheers

3 Likes

Watching the BBL cricket final the other night & as it appeared a forgone conclusion that Brisbane would win the match, I said to my wife “they need to put Nathan on now - he knows how to beat Brisbane” :slight_smile:

1 Like