[2023] GF Panthers v Broncos - Game Day Thread

GF Panthers v Broncos

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Brisbane Broncos
:stadium: Venue Accor Stadium, Homebush NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday 1st October 2023 7:30pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Partly Cloudy 19°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 20% / :wind_face: Wind: E 19km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [DELAYED]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [DELAYED]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership Grand Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries Mitch Kenny, Moses Leota, Stephen Crichton, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/4), Stephen Crichton (1/1)
Brisbane Broncos 24 Tries Ezra Mam (3), Thomas Flegler.
Goals Adam Reynolds (4/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Penrith Panthers 10x10 10x10 Brisbane Broncos
TEAM
Dylan Edwards 1 Fullback 1 Reece Walsh
Sunia Turuva 2 Wing 2 Jesse Arthars
Izack Tago 3 Centre 3 Kotoni Staggs
Stephen Crichton 4 Centre 4 Herbie Farnworth
Brian Too 5 Wing 5 Selwyn Cobbo
Jarome Luai 6 Five-Eigth 6 Ezra Mam
Nathan Cleary 7 Halfback 7 Adam Reynolds
Moses Leota 8 Forward 8 Thomas Flegler
Mitch Kenny 9 Hooker 9 Billy Walters
James Fisher-Harris 10 Forward 10 Payne Haas
Scott Sorensen 11 Second Row 11 Kurt Capewell
Liam Martin 12 Second Row 12 Jordan Riki
Isaah Yeo 13 Lock 13 Patrick Carrigan
INTERCHANGE
Jack Cogger 14 Interchange 14 Tyson Smoothy
Lindsay Smith 15 Interchange 15 Brendan Piakura
Spencer Leniu 16 Interchange 16 Kobe Hetherington
Luke Garner 17 Interchange 17 Keenan Palasia
RESERVES
Tyrone Peachey 18 Reserve 18 Corey Oates
Matthew Eisenhuth 19 Reserve 19 Martin Taupau
:small_red_triangle_down: Zac Hosking 20 Reserve 20 Corey Jensen
:small_red_triangle_down: Luke Sommerton 21 Reserve 21 Jock Madden
:small_red_triangle_down: Tom Jenkins 22 Reserve 22 Tristan Sailor
COACH
Ivan Cleary HC HC Kevin Walters
Peter Wallace AC AC John Cartwright
Ben Gardiner AC AC Matt Ballin
COACH
Ivan Cleary HC HC Craig Bellamy
Peter Wallace AC AC Marc Brentnall
Ben Gardiner AC

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Adam Gee
Sideline Official Chris Sutton
David Munro
Video Referee Ashley Klein

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (7/8) 87.50% (22/33) 66.66% 167 150 1.11

Penrith are hosting a public training session on Tuesday.

1 Like

After watching the Broncs against the Wahs, I’m fairly nervous about this game.

Broncs were fast and seem to have a lot of second phase play which is where the Eels often trouble us.

They clearly had some nerves early on. Let’s hope that is amplified in the GF, away from home and against two time reigning prems and that Panthers take them to town with experience and bully them out of the game like Eels last year.

Great news to hear Luai and Tago came through unscathed.

Be another big game for JFH, Moses and Yeo. Spence will always rip and tear, thankfully he has improved this year compared to previous and seems to make less mistakes.

I noticed we lost momentum when the bench rotation took place. Lindsay seemed to have a quiet game, let’s hope they fire for the GF.

I think it’s going to be a tough one

We’ve got our tickets in Panthers Supporters section Bay 143. We’ll be there to cheer the boys on once again.

Great effort Fri night to send the $torm home :slight_smile:

I got my tickets a couple of months ago. Bay 116, so it looks like I’m at the Broncos end :slightly_frowning_face:

The team will go into this match knowing they have a game ahead of them. I believe that this attitude helped with the success against storm and warriors. Complacency has been the biggest enemy this season, as demonstrated in games against the eels and tigers and even against the broncos in round 1. I don’t think complacency will be a problem this week.

1 Like

Have been having some fun with a few mates today, and reeled as few in, sending them this message:

Are you free on Sunday night?

How good is this? I just won tickets for me & 3 friends in a box at the NRL Grand Final in a radio competition. Full food & beverage package & overnight accomodation at the Novotel Olympic Park are included, plus a meet & greet with the players. I can’t believe how lucky I am!!!

So are you free? If so, could you please take my bins out?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m at Section 134, not sure what end is which in regards to fan bases. Not the best of views, but I’ll take it.

Eastern side around southern end goaline. Panthers end of ground.

So the pennies fans are at the south side? Well that works out for me.

1 Like

:mega: Teams and Match Officials have been announced.

I’m in bay 146.

I’m pretty confident on this game, the Broncos showed too many errors and a leaky defence to trouble us too much.

Plus we have the worlds best defense, and fullback to stop Walsh in his tracks.

Oh what I would give to see Leota and Fish put the pretty boy on his back.

1 Like

Not sure about Cogger in the 14 to be honest. While he hasn’t done anything to lose his spot, I would rather a utility player like Peachey there.

I am hoping he is there until they are certain about Luai’s fitness to go the distance, and if Laui is good to go they a lot Peachey in and shift Cogger to 18.

1 Like

I am ok with Cogger, the only possible concern or change I have is Garner’s spot. Maybe Hosking or Eisenhuth for better defence. That said Garner prooved me wrong in the Wahs game with his defense in the centres. 2nd row may be a bit beyond him however, then again, Martin, Sorensen and Yeo can all easily play 80 minutes.

We no longer have a 60 minutes back rower like Kikau to stress our bench rotation. 2 props in Spencer and Smith covers us, the other two seem to be just for backup.

1 Like

100% happy with the team named.

Not sure what happened to Luke (played v slimies & not sighted since - did train yesterday).

I know some want Peachey, but happy to have Cogger.

IC has proven to pull the right reign more often than not, and I’ll go with him.

3 Likes

Its been an eventful year but we are finally here and there is plenty to look forward to and in my view we are fielding our best 17 (subject to any late injuries)

I am more than comfortable with the squad for the challenge ahead of us.

Broncos have done a great job and deserve to be in the Grand Final and is a fitting result for both teams as both have been the standout sides all season.

That the last of the generosity for the Broncos who are formidable challengers but believe the way to beat them is reasonably simple.

we need to close down Hass and Carrigan. So much begins with these 2 and as demonstrated last week they had the freedom to offload and basically run the Warriors ragged but this only came after the Warriors defence on these 2 dropped off and holes began to open for the like of Walsh and Reynolds.

Hitting Hass and Carrigan hard in defence along with locking the ball up in the tackle is key. Hass is a little like JFH who plays big first half minutes and Carrigan plays the whole game.

Intensity in defence will unsettle the style they like to play which is a sort of controlled mayhem which is all well and good when the other team is tiring or presenting a poor defensive line, i doubt you will see either from us.

I did note Walsh and Broncos were having most of their success down the Tago/ Too side (against warriors) which i expect them to test again and Tago will need to be better then he was against Storm.

But as i said we need to dominate in the forwards in defence and attack which will force Broncos into actions they are not comfortable doing which will also allow our backs and notably Cleary and Luai to weave their magic.

Broncos have been showing good defence but oddly the warriors stripped them for numbers a couple of times with very slick passing also oddly enough similar to a few tries we scored against Storm…almost like Webster was playing our game plan.

Only trouble was he had DWZ racing in for hail mary intercepts and poor defensive reads and there were a few others who just couldn’t go with the Broncos.

We will be a different match up but i hope we don’t get sucked into early rubbish which i also expect them to try.

That being said any challenger we have met this year have tried the usual and at times the most unusual to try and beat us such as the Manly game but any opponent has known they have to do this for 80 minutes without mistakes and that is the challenge for the Broncos in executing their “mayhem” everything has to be perfect.

I doubt they are capable of doing this and if they try to get into a grind with us, we will overcome them easily which sort of places the unusual, their only tactic such as offloads, early kicks etc to try to break us down.

Not sure GF experience helps or even hurts but its nice going in having done this 3 times before.

Like previous games i hope terrible calls don’t influence the outcome, as i want to see a true challenge from both teams.

Expect a Panther victory and don’t care if its by 1 point or by 30.

If we stick to our processes and control the game through our forwards, the result should come our way.

2 Likes

Agree Cogger is a strange bench option unless IC has doubts about Rommy being able to play full game. Salmon was used effectively off the bench earlier in season seems to have fallen out of favour or is he injured ? Peach or Hoskins also would provide better cover in more positions whereas Cogger is there solely to cover for the half 5/8. Anyways in Ivan we trust…Letsgo Panthers

1 Like

I suspect that is the reason. Luai just can’t be 100%, it’s just not possible. But he is fit enough to play and he will probably need some cover.

I feel for Peach not getting a run, but being in 18 man will get him a premiership ring, and the thoroughly deserves one.

1 Like