[2023] QF Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread

QF Panthers v Warriors|100%

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 9th September 2023 4:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek (Available Soon)
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Partly Cloudy 16°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: <1% / :wind_face: Wind: E 11km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership Qualifying Final| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 32 Tries Sunia Turuva (2), Brian To’o, Liam Martin, Nathan Cleary.
Goals Nathan Cleary (6/6
New Zealand Warriors 6 Tries Wayde Egan.
Goals Adam Pompey (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Penrith Panthers 10x10 3x3 New Zealand Warriors
TEAM
Dylan Edwards 1 Fullback 1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Sunia Turuva 2 Wing 2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Izack Tago 3 Centre 3 Rocco Berry
Stephen Crichton 4 Centre 4 Adam Pompey
Brian To’o 5 Wing 5 Marcelo Montoya
Jack Cogger 6 Five-Eigth 6 Te Maire Martin
Nathan Cleary © 7 Halfback 7 Shaun Johnson :injured:
Moses Leota 8 Forward 8 Addin Fonua-Blake
Mitch Kenny 9 Hooker 9 Wayde Egan
James Fisher-Harris 10 Forward 10 Mitchell Barnett
Scott Sorensen 11 Second Row 11 Jackson Ford
Liam Martin 12 Second Row 12 Marata Niukore
Isaah Yeo © 13 Lock 13 Tohu Harris ©
INTERCHANGE
Tyrone Peachey 14 Interchange 14 Dylan Walker
Lindsay Smith 15 Interchange 15 Jazz Tevaga
Spencer Leniu 16 Interchange 16 Bayley Sironen
Zac Hosking 17 Interchange 17 Josh Curran
RESERVES
Jaeman Salmon 18 Reserve 18 Freddy Lussick
Matt Eisenhuth 19 Reserve 20 Taine Tuaupiki
Luke Sommerton 20 Reserve 21 Bunty Afoa
Luke Garner 21 Reserve 22 Tom Ale
Tom Jenkins 22 Reserve 23 Edward Kosi
COACH
Ivan Cleary HC HC Andrew Webster
Peter Wallace AC AC Justin Morgan
Ben Gardiner AC AC Richard Agar
AC Stacey Jones

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership
Referee Adam Gee
Sideline Official David Munro
Chris Sutton
Video Referee Ashley Klein

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (5/6) 83.34% (20/31) 64.52% 154 140 1.10

2 Likes

Well its all on and i think being on at 4PM this Saturday will suit us just fine.

Weather suggests it will be dry and fast with no rain forecast all week.

The added surprise of Kenny and Sorensen being available (as reported above) means we are at 100% for the game and the spoils of winning this means we get a week off.

Its a simple strategy now for us supporters at least and doubt Ivan is putting it in these terms but 3 more games and the prize is within reach. Ivan maybe using simpler language like lets take one game at a time and play who is in front of us.

Hard not to get excited but the players i am sure will be ready for what lies ahead and what is required, this is our 4th go in the finals and am sure Ivan will be looking to change things up to remove any complacency and maintain the focus on the task ahead.

2 Likes

Broncos wanted to play Warriors this week
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I mean if you are worried about “who do we face” and the pointy end of the season, it doesn’t speak well to the general feeling of their confidence.

3 Likes

Looks like the reports are right. Except Tiny and Romey, it’s a full-strength team named.

Now the long wait for Saturday afternoon!

3 Likes

This is the strongest side we have had in weeks.

3 Likes

Perfect time slot in my opinion.

Probably the best team we can field at the moment, though I probably would have had Salmon at 14 rather than Peach. Mind you Peach does (marginally) better at hooker.

Up against 3 ex panthers, plus the coach of course.

Johnson very dangerous, but suffocate his game and we should win.

As long as we treat this as a final, and treat the opposition with the upmost respect, we should win comfortably.

Idle off and we open the door for them.

We have done it before we can do it again.

1 Like

:mega: Team lists and match officials have been announced.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP QUALIFYING FINAL

I would prefer Peachey in the 14. He can cover hooker and can cover in the halves and the fringes too if needed.

He has quite the knack for line breaks too, get him in with some tired Warriors defence and he will bend that line.

1 Like

A mate of mine always says “rocks and diamonds” about Peach. He certainly offers more potential but I fear the occasional lack of discipline, be it the lazy slap across the face or ball handling error.

To me, Salmon is a more solid option.

1 Like

Maybe, but i do like Salmon as an 18th man. If they illegally take any of our guys out, he’s a great option to come on just about anywhere.

These are all fair points, Peachey has even said himself in an article in the Western Weekender that his performance has been inconsistent since his time at the Tigers, but my logic regarding Peachy and Salmon goes a bit further than Saturday afternoon.

Things can go sideways this week, and maybe Cogger or heaven forbid Cleary may pick up a niggling injury against the Warriors. Having Salmon at 18th man means that he will be available for this game if needed, and can fill in at 6 or 7 if the need arises.

Peachy is a strong utility player and is solid in most positions on the field, and in that same article he says he prefers the utility row (he even said he doesn’t mind at all playing in NSW Cup is that’s where he is needed).

Salmon is a good insurance policy and I agree can slot right into the bench if needed. We have hit a streak of bad luck injuries this year (sure Taylan May or Jarome Luai can attest to that). Almost every player in the squad has had some injury downtime this year with a few exceptions.

Also I would say that Peachy would be the first in line to snare that Utility spot vacated by Salmon in 2024. He has some good year left in him and from that interview he had he seems to have a new love for the game and is enjoying his footy, and I feel that is a strength our team has.

2 Likes

Interesting development.

https://x.com/nrlphysio/status/1699606849870598191

I reckon this is just mind games. As long as he can walk he will take the field.

Johnson out.

I was first thinking mind games, but by time you reach quotes from Webster, I think it’s genuine.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/warriors-hit-with-terrible-news-over-star-halfback-shaun-johnson/news-story/155735565d567d74236d157de4ada9a4

1 Like

Warriors have confirmed that Shaun Johnson will not be part of the squad on Saturday.

Tago out. Peachey from bench to left centre, Salmon onto bench.