[2023] R15 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R15 Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers|100%

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Allianz Stadium, Moore Park NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday 10th June 2023 7:35pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers 11/6 3:15pm1
JFLEGG Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers 11/6 1:30pm1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 14ÂșC (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 6% / :wind_face: Wind: S 13km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Cup fixtures to be played Saturday at Wentworth Park, Glebe NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 30 Tries Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Isaah Yeo, Brian To’o, Izack Tago.
Goals , Stephen Crichton (5/6)
Sydney Roosters 6 Tries James Tedesco.
Goals Luke Keary (1/1)

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 30 Tries Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Isaah Yeo, Brian To’o, Izack Tago.
Goals , Stephen Crichton (5/6)
Sydney Roosters 6 Tries James Tedesco.
Goals Luke Keary (1/1)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Eddie Blacker, Jack Cole, Jesse McLean, Samuel Lane.
Goals Kurt Falls (4/5)
Sydney Roosters 22 Tries Riley Meyn, Alan Holten, Tyrell Neiufi, Riley Meyn.
Goals Luke Keary (1/1)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Peter Taateo, Connor Mason, Billy Scott, Riley Wake.
Goals Timothy Sielaff-Burns (4/4)
Sydney Roosters 22 TriesTavita Henare-Schuster, Benaiah Ioelu, Owen Flaherty, Braith Alexander.
Goals Tyler Colley (3/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers :rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers :rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers
:clock3: Saturday 10/6 7:35pm :clock3: Sunday 11/6 3:15pm :clock3: Sunday 4/6 1:30pm
:stadium: Allianz Stadium :stadium: Wentworth Park :stadium: Wentworth Park
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Liam Ison
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jesse Mclean 2. Tim Sielaff-Burns
3. Izack Tago 3. Matt Stimson 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Sam Lane 4. Kristian-Li Mai
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Cody Lawson
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole 6. Luke Hanson
7. Jack Cogger 7. Kurt Falls 7. Ryley Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Liam Henry 8. John Sagaga
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Connor Mason ©
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Eddie Blacker 10. Ilai Tuia
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Peter Taateo
12. Zac Hosking 12. John Faiumu 12. Aston Warwick
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Chris Smith 13. Billy Scott
INTERCHANGE
14. Liam Martin 14. Trent Toelau 14. Ryley Wake
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Sunita Lotoaniu 15. Billy Phillips
16. Spencer Leniu 16. Zac Lipowicz 16. Luron Patea
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. Harrison Hassett 17. Tyreece Tonga
RESERVES
18. Tyrone Peachey 18. Fletcher Haycock
19. Luke Garner 19. Lleyton Finau
20. Tom Jenkins
21. Matt Eisenhuth
22. Soni Luke
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | :injured: Out due to injury | :small_blue_diamond: Affected by Origin

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee TBA TBA
Sideline Official Chris Sutton TBA TBA
Kasey Badger TBA TBA
Video Referee Gerard Sutton - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2012 (2/3) 66.7% (17/28) 60.71% 136.5 122.5 1.11

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

It is interesting that none of the extended first grade bench are currently named in reserve grade.

Ivan starting to play mind games?

1 Like

NSW Cup doesn’t play till Sunday. I would imagine that Ivan want to keep as many options open for First Grade and travel with a full compliment to Allianz.

The rest would back up and slot into the NSW Cup Side and the NSW Cup players either being rested or will slot into the Flegg side.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Another solid team performance. I loved the way out forwards dominated theirs from the opening whistle, especially Leota over JWH. I get the feeling that Leota is starting to become our more dominant prop.

3 Likes

Just a few thoughts. Apologies if it seems all over the place, haven’t had a lot of sleep. I have been sleeping in a cot in the hospital as my wife has given birth to our first clild on Friday.

I have to say, I was expecting a bit of a scrappy “not the best effort, but enough to get the points” match from the team, but was very happy to be wrong in that expectation.

The halves, unlike last week were on the same page and singing from the same hymn-sheet. I was slightly skeptical if Laui could fill the void of Cleary and organise the squad around with Cogger but Luai showed once again why he is the NSW #6. He righted the ship when needed and with Cogger made sure everybody was doing their part.

I noticed that Yeo was much more involved than in past games this season, picking up the slack left in Nathans void. The forwards were on song, really laid a solid platform for the attack and got Cogger on the right foot to place what I thought was a really polished kicking game.

Scott Sorensen just is going from strength to strength. 229 Run Metres (highest in the game), 76 Post Contact Metres, 1 Line Break, 2 Line Break Assists, 3 Tackle Breaks, 17 Hit-ups, and 5 Offloads
 and the most more important statistic
 3 more years at Penrith.

I think these types of games really sum up Ivan Cleary’s team strategy of the “next man up” mentality. A champion team will always beat a team of champions. The emphasis is on the “system” and not plunging money into a player to build a team around. The papers casted doubt on Penrith this week with Nathan out for the next 6 weeks with that thinking that he is the player the built the club around. But Cogger blew their theory the water.

The system that IC has made has taken players that would be considered discards from other team such as Kurt Capewell, Scott Sorensen, Jaeman Salmon (and more recently Jack Cogger) and saw their value to the system that he is trying to develop and have paid back in spades. The trust the club has put into their ability has yielded them something some player will never achieve, to be premiership winners. This has also benefitted the club at the negotiating table with these players wanting to return the favour to a club who battles to balance the salary cap. They know deep down their in more years at success at this club, and to them that is worth more than being a ‘Champion’ in a team of plodders. These guys managers are having their doors kicked in to give offers for them, the same teams that didn’t see that potential a few years back. If they choose to go someday, I wish them all the luck in the world, they have already carved their place in this club forever.

On the incident with Leniu and JWH, I totally reject Trent Robinsons opinion about it being a good spectacle as it was a piece of theatre. It was a grub act by JWH and the look in Leniu’s eyes indicated otherwise to the notion that this was a piece of light hearted theatre. If this was allowed to got he course, I imagine the fight would land them on the sideline for several weeks. JWH was out to cause trouble and was grubby and unsportsmanlike. Leniu could have stayed on the field if he would have just calmed down, he let his emotions get the best of him and the grin on JWH face implied that he felt he won the conflict, but in reality he left the field a LOSER, exactly how how should have.

Positive times heading into the middle part of the season.

4 Likes

Leota has been our dominant prop since the grand final last year.

Our forwards absolutely dominated the chooks.

What is with Sorro stepping up against them?

Love the way Lindsay Smith is coming along, don’t see him loosing his place in the 17.

Strong games from all. You would never know that we didn’t have our Australian halfback in the team.

Still don’t know why Spencer was give. Ten in the bin, excepting he was seconds away from exploding.

Edwards showed Teddy how a fullback plays, was chalk and cheese and made him look a fool.

Yeo stood up and led the team well.

Jerome had another great game.

I get the feeling no-one would have beaten us last night.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new Bub Steve

4 Likes

Huge congratulations Steve

3 Likes

Well put, Steve, and a solid post. Listening to all the NRL intelligentsia, I was starting to think that I was the only one who finds Hargreaves to be a grub, every game. How the NRL decided that his bumper bar on Leota was ‘nothing to see here’ is mystifying. Surely Penrith can register a complaint over this absurd leniency. And I guess that this was another case in the age-old practice of starting a blue when you’re losing the match. Despite what the CBD media and the fancy clubs might think and say, Penrith is demonstrating what a quality club full of quality people looks like.

4 Likes

Congratulations to you both mate. You don’t say boy or girl, but trust you will give them a panthers name :slight_smile: & raise them to follow the Panthers!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations to you both, hope everyone is well :slight_smile:

Great post and agree with it all!

A few keyboard warriors on facebook/twitter have pointed out that Cleary not succeeding in Origin is because it’s the Panthers system that is making him look good, not him as a player. Your comment below here is quite true, but also lends (sorry to skew your comment) some truth to the keyboard warriors:

The Panthers W/L ratio over the past couple of years without Cleary has been solid. Last night the Panthers took a previously fringe 1st grader in Cogger and then left me asking: “Nathan who?”. Everything seemed business as usual. If I didn’t know better and you told me that was our full-strength side, I’d believe you.

Super happy to see the left edge with Luai and Sorensen really starting to click.

I mentioned a number of weeks ago we were looking rusty and ill-disciplined and I was not confident in a three peat unless something changed. The last few weeks have shown the ship has turned and hope we can remain relatively injury free. (Although I would like to see a solid wet weather performance - as that has certainly been our kryptonite)

As for Scott Sorensen
Kik-a-who?

It’s like you know me too well. It’s a boy and his name is Alexander. :joy:

5 Likes

Congratulations on the birth of your child Steve.

1 Like

Couple of take aways from the game but first a huge congrats to all the Panther supporters who went to the game, was a very solid Panther contingent at the ground.

The first takeaway is Roosters are deadset rubbish and real on 1 person to give them go forward and that is JWH, they are simply terrible when he is shut down.

On shutting him down our boys did a great job but fear they got sucked into what JWH does best and that is be a grub, poor Martin , Leota and especially Lenui found that out and Lenui in particular got sucked right into it. More on the JWH water bottle incident later.

I thought we were still clunky in attack and my view of Cogger is a little different then on here
i think he was OK by that i mean he didn’t do anything great or anything bad, in fact Laui was more dominant which is no bad thing

There one play which really impressed me and i cannot remember who was almost tackled near the sideline but the speed in which our shape re formed was a thing of beauty
Turuva took the ball and sprinted down field before passing to Tago and he scored. Sitting where i was in the stands gave me a great view of just how we reacted.

Not much to say about them except Keary spent more time yelling at his players and Tedesco is a shadow of what he once was with Edwards far and away outplaying him. Yet Fittler will still stick with Tedesco for SOO and selfishly hope he drops all the Panthers from the squad.

This was a game i had some concerns about because of the previous week effort but we were only a few sets in when Yeo tripped and failed to score with a double movement by fears were settled because we were all over them but we just couldn’t bust them open.

Our defence again was sound which is holding us together well.

Notables in the game for mine was Smith who adds plenty when he comes on. Leota is the dominant forward in our side with Martin adding plenty.

On the JWH fiasco, Lenui should be made to wear a dunce hat this week at training because he took the bait hook line and sinker.

That being said i thought JWH should have been sent off for throwing an object at a player, it was a disgrace and the referee was too soft and took the easy way out. I think the match review folks should charge JWH and unless they do, throwing a bottle at a player has now been sanctioned and at worst will cost you 10 minutes.

It was a valuable win at this time of the year albeit against a rubbish side and to think Fittler and Johns predicted the Chooks would win the comp

Some funny results over the weekend with Cronulla being routed, Souths going down and Broncos just got away with a win.

Hope Martin and Leota are OK.

3 Likes

I think that Leniu is too easily baited, and can be a liability when he is. Ivan & the senior players need to sit him down & sort him out before we hit the must win games at the end of the season.

1 Like

I doubt that anything will control Leniu’s outbursts except old age. I commented here last year that someone needs to get into his bathroom cabinet and dispose of his angry pills. Presumably he orders them in bulk.
Cogger went well, but his long kicking game seems nonexistent. If he is around when we play Parra, then we’ll see a contrast in long kicking. Our defence can hold the Eels deep in their own half, but Mitchell’s boot puts us back near our own line. The key to the win against the Rorters was that every player did their job, and did it really well; competence and intent across the park. Luai and Yeo stepped up a notch, as did Martin. From memory, we also didn’t suffer from too many penalties, 6-agains and errors. And Turuva must have the safest hands in the NRL. I suppose that one aspect of having a great defence is the the enemy is always kicking long, so our back three can take the high ball uncontested; that must eliminate the pressure that leads to dropped balls.

3 Likes

Didn’t watch the game, had no service.

Congrats on the young’n Steve
you named him after Alexander the great right lol

2 Likes