[2023] R23 Panthers v Storm - Game Day Thread

R23 Panthers v Storm

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm
:stadium: Venue Bluebet Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 4th August 2023 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors 5/8 12:001
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 16°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 20% / :wind_face: Wind: N 6km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (Channel 90 HD / 91 SD) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup fixture to be played at St Marys Leagues Stadium, St Marys NSW.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries Brian To’o (2), Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton.
Goals Nathan Cleary (5/6)
Melbourne Storm 6 Tries Young Tonumaipea.
Goals Nick Meaney (1/2)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Storm :rugby_football: Panthers v Warriors
:clock3: Friday 4/8 8:00pm :clock3: Saturday 5/8 12:00pm
:stadium: Bluebet Stadium :stadium: St Marys Leagues Stadium
TEAMS
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle:
3. Zac Hosking 3. Matt Stimson
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Jesse Mclean
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Jack Cogger
8. Moses Leota 8. Eddie Blacker
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle:
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer
12. Liam Martin 12. Luke Garner
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Preston Riki
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Trent Toelau
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Ativalu Lisati
16. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Chris Smith
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. Kurt Falls
RESERVES
18. Jack Cogger 18. John Faiumu
19. Luke Garner
20. Izack Tago :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Tom Jenkins :small_red_triangle_down:
22. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | :injured: Out due to injury

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup
Referee Adam Gee Kieren Irons
Sideline Official Chris Sutton Nick Beashel
Drew Oultram Karra-Lee Nolan
Video Referee Ashley Klein -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (4/5) 80% (19/29) 63.33% 104 104 1.00

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

OPPOSITION TEAM LIST

Not sure if Hosking is a ruse, or if Tago is ready to play.

Play like we did last time against the storm, and throw in the effort against the Sharks, and I am feeling confident.

Not often I say that playing the Storm.

Late Chanegs

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad to face Melbourne Storm at BlueBet Stadium on Friday night.

Izack Tago (leg) drops out of the squad, while Liam Henry and Tom Jenkins have been confirmed to play NSW Cup on Saturday.

The Panthers will wear the 2023 home kit for the Round 23 clash.

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

What an interesting game from Panthers.
There is a bit to unpack from last night.
Firstly we saw some very interesting offensive plays from the team even shifting wide coming out of our line to the sublime move where Cleary was outside Luai to give the final pass for Crichton to score.
add to this the further development of Lindsay Smith where the coach has the confidence to start him and keep Leota on the bench.
Cleary showed his complete class last night and why he is the #1 Half in the game and not to forget Luai who probably had his best game of the year.
However they were not alone and despite some issues with Hosking at Centre he has grown enormously as a player in our system.

We were simply a class above Storm last night and sure they were without their 7 but they way we came over their forwards Hughes would not have had the room to do anything as was proved with Munster, he was benign last night.

The game was over at half time and the break gave Bellamy a chance to rev his mob up and they responded albeit meekly.

I Was thrilled with our first half, the second less so but maybe just maybe we went into cruise mode although as i discussed they really lifted but still posed no problems.
Still concerned about Martin and his underlying injury although he appears to be playing through with it and perhaps will require surgery at years end.
Looks like we are building nicely with Tago and Lenui back shortly which will set us up for the final push towards the finals.

Hope the boys pull up ok and enjoy the victory.

A super big callout goes to the super crowd who support Panthers…They are legends!!

4 Likes

Luai cited for high tackle

Panthers five-eighth Jarome Luai has been charged by the NRL Match Review Committee following Friday night’s win over Melbourne.

Luai copped a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle charge on Storm forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona in the 47th minute of the Round 23 clash.

The Panthers five-eighth received a monetary penalty with the early guilty plea and has avoided suspension.

SOURCE

1 Like

Another great night, another great win.

At this stage only a team who plays a flawless game, and meets us when we are off, stands a chance of beating us.

We simply controlled the first 25 minutes, then poured on the attack.

The second half defence was a joy to watch from the Southern Hill, I always enjoy watching the defensive structure and effort of Edwards. With about 6 minutes to go, they had repeated sets on our line, Edwards made a try saving tackle in the middle, they got an offload and spread it wide, only for Edwards to get up off the ground, race to the wing and assist Luai and Turuva to bundle the Storm player into touch.

Winning by 20 points in the dying stages, on top of the ladder. You don’t see other teams doing that.

To’o stood out for me, not for the two tries and try assist so much, but for his monstrous defense. Lining up the wing, with a rib rattling tackle, almost driving him into the fence. That’s what premierships are made of.

I thought Hosking did great. Yes his timing with To’o needs improvement, but that’s to be expected with a new centre/wing combination.

Yeo outstanding in both metres, attack and defense.

The only teams that can trouble us I believe are Broncos, Warriors and possibly Souths or the Cowboys. But as I said they have to be on their very best game, and us off ours.

I am so looking forward to the Parra game, when we can drive the final nail in their coffin of a season.

Simply outstanding from the Panthers

4 Likes

Our players need to be careful against the eels.They lift like no other team against the Panthers, even when they are having a mediocre season.

Great game to watch. I suspect there’s a handful of players needing a week or two off in the coming month.

Hope Edwards and Martin in particular are OK

1 Like

It is essentially their GF so we should bring our B+ game and flog them by 30

2 Likes