[2023] R24 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R24 Sea Eagles v Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Manly Warringah Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue 4 Pines Park, Brookvale NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 10th August 2023 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketmaster
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers 11/8 7:30pm1
JFLEGG Manly Warringah Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers 10/8 5:30pm2
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 13° (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 10% / :wind_face: Wind: E 16km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (Channel 90 HD / 91 SD) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup fixture to be played at Parker Street Reserve, Penrith NSW.
2. Jersey Flegg Cup fixture to be played at 4 Pines Park, Brookvale NSW.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries Stephen Crichton (2), Sunia Turuva, Brian To’o.
Goals
Manly Sea Eagles 12 Tries Toafofoa Sipley, Reuben Garrick.
Goals Reuben Garrick (2/2)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 Tries Eddie Blacker, Preston Riki, Liam Henry, Kurt Falls, Matt Stimson.
Goals Jack Cole (2/3), Kurt Falls (2/3)
Blacktown Workers 18 Tries Jackson Ferris (2), Clayton Faulalo.
Goals Cooper Johns (3/4)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 14 Tries Wilson De Courcey, Blake Moore, Timothy Sielaff-Burns.
Goals Joseph Nohra (1/3)
Manly Sea Eagles 16 Tries Lehi Hopoate, Caleb Navale, Broden Konz.
Goals Jamie Humphreys (2/3)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Sea Eagles v Panthers :rugby_football: Sea Eagles v Panthers :rugby_football: Sea Eagles v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 10/8 7:50pm :clock3: Friday 11/8 7:30pm :clock3: Thursday 10/8 5:30pm
:stadium: 4 Pines Park :stadium: Parker Street Reserve :stadium: 4 Pines Park
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Liam Ison
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins 2. Tim Seilaff-burns
3. Zac Hosking 3. Matt Stimson 3. Wilson Decourcey
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Jesse Mclean 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Cody Lawson
18. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle: 6. Jack Cole 6. Blake Moore
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Jack Cogger 7. Joseph Nohra
8. Moses Leota 8. Eddie Blacker 8. Sunita Lotoaniu
26. Luke Sommerton :small_red_triangle: 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Connor Mason
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Liam Henry 10. Peter Taateo
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Harrison Hassett
12. Liam Martin 12. Luke Garner 12. Zac Lipowicz
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Preston Riki 13. Billy Scott
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Trent Toelau 14. Ryley Smith
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Ativalu Lisati 15. Luron Patea
16. Matt Eisenhuth 16. Chris Smith 16. John Sagaga
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. Kurt Falls 17. Billy Phillips
RESERVES
22. Liam Henry 18. John Faiumu 18. Kristian-li Mai
21. Tom Jenkins 19. Riley Wake
19. Luke Garner :small_red_triangle_down: 20. Luke Hanson
20. Jack Cole :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Ilai Hanson
6. Jarome Luai :injured::small_red_triangle_down: 22. Adam Runchel
9. Mitch Kenny :injured::small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change | :injured: Out due to injury | :small_blue_diamond: Rested due to Origin

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton Kieren Irons Charlie Suters
Sideline Official Darian Furner Liam Nicholls Jack Bird
Phil Henderson Micheal Ford Joel Pitscheider
Video Referee Ashley Klein - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (2/4) 53% (29/51) 56.86% 200 202.5 0.99

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

Mitch Kenny out - injured & didn’t complete Captains Run.
Jarome Luai out - ill.

Luke Sommerton added to squad under NRL exemption.

Panthers granted squad exemption

Penrith Panthers has received an exemption from the NRL to add hooker Luke Sommerton to the NRL squad to face Manly Warringah Sea Eagles on Thursday night.

Sommerton joins the squad after starting hooker Mitch Kenny and five-eighth Jarome Luai were ruled out of the Round 24 clash.

Kenny drops out of the squad after failing to complete captain’s run on Wednesday morning, while Luai has been ruled out by the medical staff due to illness.

Panthers will update the squad to 19 players 24 hours prior to kick-off.

SOURCE

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 24

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad to face the Sea Eagles on Thursday night.

Hooker Luke Sommerton will become Panther No. 617 after being named to make his NRL debut with Mitch Kenny ruled out.

Jack Cogger will start at five-eighth after Jarome Luai dropped out of the squad due to illness.

The Panthers will wear the 2023 away kit for the Round 24 clash.

We will miss Kenny big time, but wish Sommerton all the best with his debut.

I do hope he starts as listed, as I don’t think Luke has what it takes to start a first grade game, at least what we have seen of him this season.

This game has got a bit tougher, but if we stick to playing pantherball, we should win comfortably.

Surely logic would dictate that Panthers wear black instead of pink against Manly :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Maybe we were think half the team would clock off seeing pink and rainbows lol.

In all seriousness, Manly are dangerous throwing the ball around, but that’s to be expected from a desperate team, and we will probably see similar from the warriors in the finals.

Hopefully we come out firing in the second half, Leota was starting to make some big carries late in the first half.

2 Likes

It wasn’t pretty, but job done. On to next week.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

A lot of panther hating whining on Facebook.

This pretty much sums up my feeling on this match.

2 Likes

Probably our worst performance of the year apart from the Tigers game. Still got the job done, and I jagged pick the score, so I can’t complain too much.

2 Likes

Like most here agree it was an ugly game and if Manly have of taken their chances last night, they would have won.

The Crichton try right on half time should have not been awarded when martin knocked on but you take what is given.

That being said Hosking probably had his worst game at Centre and they ran at him, Luke, Summerton and Cogger.

and they exposed these guys multiple times.

IC said he was proud of the boys efforts but i think he may have a few concerns.

Another piece of “luck” went our way when Turuva scored from their downtown kick.

Interesting tactics deployed by Manly last night and despite them failing to capitalise i can see others taking some hints out of this playbook from Manly

We missed Kenny terribly and i think Luai was sorely missed but that’s footy and you have to play with who you have but we do have major problems at 9 if Kenny is out.

I notice in the post match interview Cleary touched on one of the missing pair Luai and Kenny about knowing what is wrong with them but wouldn’t expand on it. Hope they are both OK and can come back very quickly

I think we will welcome Tago back as well who looks right for next week.

It was a flat game by us playing against a side who feel wheeled it in attack and were desperate for the win.

Hope we pull up ok and being a Thursday night game gives us even more turnaround time before next week.Titans next Saturday and another desperate side who may choose to play free wheeling footy.

1 Like

So true. Kenny has proven to be a real powerhouse in the team. I remember in the pre-season the critics of Kenny had their knives out, making it clear he would never live up to the performance of Koroisau, and others that said that Soni Luke should be starting instead of Kenny.

Mitch Kenny himself stated in a recent interview with the Western Weekender about the hate he was getting on social media last year and into this season.

I remember the first few home games, some let’s say idiots were yelling to get Kenny off the field and get Soni on… this went for some games, but over times those heckles got less and less, till now where they are oddly silent.

His presence was missed this week, you could see it in the missed tackles, and you coould see it in the clunky play the balls from Sommerton and Luke. Hoping he won’t be missing much football and hoping to see him next week giving it to the Titans.

3 Likes

So true Steve, we certainly missed Kenny’s crisp service and powerful defense.

Sometimes you don’t miss a player till he is gone.

3 games to go and we are sitting pretty for a home final, and more likely than not another minor premiership. Tago coming back will make a big difference.

Whilst Spencer is also someone to look forward coming back, I cannot fault the effort and execution of Eisenhuth, while a little bit of a plodder, he’s as reliable as anything, and has Thursday night showed way better than Woods (albeit that’s not hard lol).

This is some era of dominance we are living in.

2 Likes

Again, I feel there are some tough markers on here. Maybe short memories of the not so distant bad days? You know when the know-all bloke imported reserve graders from Newcastle to fill our team & our only play was to put up a bomb on the last. Enjoy our time guys!!

Once again, a committed effort across the park saw another win for the boys. A testimony to the past 4 years for our club was the seabirds deciding they needed to play a different game to they have ever played in an effort to beat us. They threw some out of character stuff at us, but in the end, we met the challenge & got the chocolates. Question is, if Manly think their best chance to win is to employ different tactics, why don’t they try it every week??

Very happy with where we are & even happier now that the slimies got lapped :slight_smile:

Hopefully 6 wins from the trophy.

3 Likes

I found Eisenhuth to provide much needed value to the team. He isn’t going to be setting any headlines, but he plays straight and hard and is a no nonsense player. He has made a transition from a forward to a Lock this year and has played many lower grade games in the Lock position as well as filling in for Yeo during the origin period. As a result his has developed quite an offload and on average is having this best year for offloads as first grade player. Not to mention he has to 92% tackle efficiency (297/321) in season 2023.

For a player that feared his career was over due to after having a tumour found in his knee had the tumour cut out, with the hole filled up with bone cement he performs well above his weight as a replacement first grader and worth every penny the club pays him. He is about as tough as they get, and I do hope the club intends on keeping Matt beyond the end of his contact ending at the conclusion of the 2024 season currently.

Matt Eisenhuth - Offloads

Season Club Played Offloads Average
2017 Wests Tigers 11 7 0.64
2018 Wests Tigers 24 5 0.21
2019 Wests Tigers 21 9 0.43
2020 Wests Tigers 14 10 0.71
2021 Penrith Panthers 19 4 0.21
2022 Penrith Panthers 16 8 0.50
2023 Penrith Panthers 11 9 0.82
2 Likes