[2023] R8 Rabbitohs v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R8 South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Accor Stadium, Homebush NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday, 20th April 2023 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers 20/4 5:25pm
JFLEGG South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers 22/4 1:00pm1
SGBALL Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights 22/4 1:002
HMATTS Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bulldogs 22/4 11:30am2
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud_with_rain: Showers 18°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 41% / :wind_face: Wind: S 13km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 / 9NOW (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. Jersey Flegg match to be played at Redfern Oval.
 2. SG Ball & Harold Matthews Finals to be played at Leichhardt Oval

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 18 Tries Stephen Crichton (3).
Goals Stephen Crichton (3/4)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 20 Tries Latrell Mitchell (2), Damien Cook, Isaiah Tass
Goals Latrell Mitchell (2/4)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 Tries Daeon Amituanai (2), Tom Jenkins, Jesse McLean.
Goals Jack Cole (0/2), Kurt Falls (0/2)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 18 Tries Tom Carr, Brock Gray, Cody Hodge.
Goals Thomas Cant (2/3)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

STATISTICS REPORT

+ Coming Soon

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers :rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers :rugby_football: Rabbitohs v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 20/4 7:50pm :clock3: Thursday 20/4 5:25pm :clock3: Saturday 22/4 1:00pm
:stadium: Accor Stadium :stadium: Accor Stadium :stadium: Redfern Oval
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Sam Lane
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Tom Jenkins 2. Luke Philp
3. Izack Tago 3. Tyrone Peachey :small_red_triangle: 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Jesse Mclean 4. Cody Lawson
5. Brian To’o 5. Deaon Amituanai 5. Addison Williams
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole 6. Kristian-Li Mai
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle: 7. Ryley Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle: 8. John Sagaga
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Connor Mason
10. Matt Eisenhuth 10. Ativalu Lisati 10. Sunita Lotoaniu
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Luke Garner :small_red_triangle: 11. Harrison Hassett
12. Zac Hosking 12. Chris Smith 12.Riley Wake
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Mavrik Geyer 13. Billy Scott
INTERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Kurt Falls 14. Lleyton Finau
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Eddie Blacker :small_red_triangle: 15. Peter Taateo
16. Spencer Leniu 16. John Faiumu 16. Ilai Tuia
17. Jaeman Salmon 17. Matt Stimson 17. Fletcher Haycock
RESERVES
18. Luke Garner :small_red_triangle_down:
19. Eddie Blacker :small_red_triangle_down:
20. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Jack Cogger
22. Tyrone Peachey :small_red_triangle_down:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Gerard Sutton TBA TBA
Sideline Official Matt Noyen TBA TBA
Nick Beashel TBA TBA
Video Referee Adam Gee - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/1) 0% (27/48) 56.25% 187 190.5 0.98

Our effort last week would have been with an eye to this game for sure.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. We won’t play that bad 2 weeks in a row.

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

Fun fact:

Latrell Mitchell has never beaten Penrith in a Souths jersey, or while playing fullback

1 Like

A tight game, but yet again we tie it up just before half time.

Let’s go on with it.

Spencer - all I can say is wow!

Good game against quality opposition, but unfortunately didn’t get the chocolates.

I have question marks over their last 2 tries, both times it looked forward off Walker.

Having to reshuffle after Turuva went off, probably hurt us too, and opened the door for them to get those last 2 tries. Might have been better leaving our right side as is, and moving Salmon on to the left with Tago.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 Tries Daeon Amituanai (2), Tom Jenkins, Jesse McLean.
Goals Jack Cole (0/2), Kurt Falls (0/2)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 18 Tries Tom Carr, Brock Gray, Cody Hodge.
Goals Thomas Cant (2/3)

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP MATCH REPORT

It was a very good game, but again pitty we finish on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

Some dubious ref / bunker decisions don’t help.

For all his great attack, I thought Critta was woeful in defence yet again, rushing out of the line and missing tackles.

Cleary appeared to be unwell the whole game, light he had the flu or something. Made some great tackles though.

We should of taken the two when we had that penalty in front - poor game management.

Why oh why don’t we grubber in goal for repeat sets? Our attack is just bomb, bomb, bomb.

Leota was a powerhouse once again, and Spencer was equally as good off the bench.

Untill he went off I thought Turuva was having a great game.

Disappointed but not distraught. Souths were quality opposition.

2 Likes

We are a long way off where we will be coming finals, but I doubt Souths have much better in them, they were out on their feet and a few lucky sections (decision, bounce of ball, lucky passes) of the game kept them in it. To their credit they took advantage and got the win, but I’m not too concerned, we did see some improvement.

I thought Hosking was very poor but was bound to happen given his first few weeks. I’m happy to forgive, his heart is definitely there.

Note: I love the fact we don’t whinge and complain to the ref like other teams, but they get the “rub of the green” when they do it, i guess if we do it when it counts, the refs might take notice.

3 Likes

No need for alarm bells. We had quite a bit going against us in that game, ranging to 2 big hitters missing our through injury to the short turn around and then the incidents on the field that seen a few players cop some pretty nasty head clashes.

The shuffle late in the game cause by Turuvas exit from the field late in the game didn’t help either.

So it has resulted in the worst loss of the season… 2 points. I not concerned. Souths played a strong offensive game and to have then edge us out by 2 points doesn’t make me lose a wink of sleep.

I must say we got some real tough guys out there. Leniu was still hitting them up hard after that nasty cut… and my god… MITCH KENNY.

When I saw that nasty cut on his nose I was thinking he was going to have to go off, that’s just going to just keep on bleeding, I wouldn’t blame him, it looked gnarly. But he was out there for the whole 80 minutes (again). Completed his stint at hooker, then shifted again to the Forward Pack and ripped in again. then shifted back to Hooker when Soni Luke came off. My god… he is quickly becoming the toughest player in that squad. It was a lot to ask of a player, playing in two physically demanding positions and still putting in late in the game as he did at the start.

4 Likes

Totally agree on Crichton, SHF. Like the curate’s egg, good in parts. His rushing up is regularly causing us grief.
And six-agains on the last tackle is a killer. Plus Souths seemed to have plenty of luck with the bounce of the ball, like getting it back on the 6th. They were down and out and played high-risk footy at the end. That can work sometimes, and it can backfire. But, with nothing to lose, they are always going to try it on. Maybe our RHS needs some intensive defensive training.
Tago had a great start, then made some errors (2 drops, 1 bombed try). Yet he was smiling. Maybe he accepts that it is just a game and hence no sense getting too upset. But is it just a game? Should he be more unaccepting of bad plays, since the sport gives many people a livelihood? Food for thought.
I read during the week (maybe on this forum) that Penrith has a 80%+ win-loss record over recent years. But, over the same period, the record was only 50% under Sutton. Just coincidence, or does Penrith management need to have a direct conversation with the NRL?
So, another close loss, and this one hurt more than the others. Maybe this is a year when we work into a winning team. We need to start soon, so that we enjoy the benefits of a high-place finish. We saw how much that helped last year.

2 Likes

Watched the replay on Kayo this evening in slow-mo… I definitely have a biased view, but:

Last try: Walker tried his best to pass backwards, but his hips and legs were facing the right corner (at best; sideline at worst), so even his “backwards” pass was more towards the left corner post. The ball then travels 1.5m forward to a bloke literally next to him…

Second last try: Despite Walker moving towards the try line and tapping the ball with his hand behind the ball, he somehow doesn’t tap it forwards (even 1mm!)

I’m certainly viewing it with a bias, but … hmm…

Some guys playing really solidly. Turuva is amazing - hope that injury isn’t too bad.

Is Soni’s game time a matter of fitness or strategic from Cleary? I would love to see his discipline improve, he would be scary if so. Love his kicking and ball playing.

Our discipline and handling as a team feels generally down on previous seasons. Cleary’s game management seems to be a little off, would like to see a few more grubbers and repeat sets, instead of chip kicks and bombs. Perhaps need to turn the razzle-dazzle down from 11 and grind a few sets in and don’t give up possession. Unless our lack of discipline is affecting Cleary’s 5th tackle options? Tago also seems to be making a few costly errors, is it time for a spell?

Feels like a bit of rust and all things that can be ironed out over the season. I just hope it doesn’t come too late as we are already a quarter of the way through the season.

2 Likes