[2023] R9 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread

R9 Penrith Panthers v West Tigers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers
:stadium: Venue Carrington Park, Bathurst NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday, 29th April 2023 7:35pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via 123tix
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Penrith Panthers v Western Suburbs Magpies 29/4 5:05pm
JFLEGG Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers 30/4 3:00pm1
CRL GROUP 10 Bathurst Panthers v Bathurst St. Pats 29/4 3:15pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :cloud_with_rain: Rain 13°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 85% / :wind_face: Wind: SE 10km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. Jersey Flegg fixture to be played Windsor Sports Complex.

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 8 Tries Tyrone Peachey.
Goals Stephen Crichton (2/2)
Wests Tigers 12 Tries Brandon Wakeham, David Nofoaluma.
Goals Brandon Wakeham (2/4)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 8 Tries Daeon Amituanai, Tom Jenkins.
Goals Jack Cole (0/2)
Western Suburbs Magpies 28 Tries Jack Boyling (2), Semisi Kioa, Livai Saukuru, Daine Laurie.
Goals Will Smith (4/5)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v West Tigers :rugby_football: Panthers v WS Magpies :rugby_football: Panthers v West Tigers
:clock3: Saturday 29/4 7:35pm :clock3: Saturday 29/4 5:05pm :clock3: Saturday 30/4 3:00pm
:stadium: Carrington Park :stadium: Carrington Park :stadium: Windsor Sports Complex
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Timothy Sielaff-Burns
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jesse Mclean 2. Addison Williams
3. Tyrone Peachey 3. Matt Stimson 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Stephen Crichton 4. Sam Lane 4. Luke Philp
5. Brian To’o 5. Deaon Amituanai 5. Cody Lawson
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole 6. Kristian-Li Mai
7. Nathan Cleary © 7. Kurt Falls 7. Ryley Smith
8. Moses Leota 8. Liam Henry 8. Peter Taateo
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Connor Mason
10. Matt Eisenhuth 10. Eddie Blacker 10. Lleyton Finau
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Riley Wake
12. Zac Hosking 12. John Faiumu 12. Aston Warwick
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Ativalu Lisati 13. Billy Scott
INETERCHANGE
14. Soni Luke 14. Trent Toelau 14. Fletcher Haycock
15. Lindsay Smith 15. John Sagaga 15. Luron Patea
17. Jaeman Salmon 16. Sunita Lotoaniu 16. Billy Phillips
22. Liam Henry :small_red_triangle: 17. Harrison Hassett 17. TBC
RESERVES
18. Luke Garner
19. Thomas Jenkins :small_red_triangle_down:
20. Chris Smith :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Jack Cogger :small_red_triangle_down:
16. Spencer Leniu :injured:
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee Liam Kennedy Brandon Mani
Sideline Official Phil Henderson Jon Stone Mitchell Robinson
Cameron Paddy Cameron Mitchell Micheal Ford
Video Referee Ashley Klein - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2023 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (1/1) 100% (16/26) 61.54% 121.5 111.5 1.09

Let’s hope that they don’t go into this game thinking it is already won. That may be the reason for some of the close games this season. It would not be good to be the team to hand the tigers their first win of the season.

3 Likes

Agreed, HillsPanther. Wests are desperate, and desperate teams throw caution to the wind sometimes. Souths did it in both our games this year, and in the second game it paid off. Sometimes, of course, things can come unstuck, turning over the ball and leading to a scoring blowout. I remain nervous.

3 Likes

The Tigers are a bit of an enigma. Apart from when they got smashed by the Broncos, they have been close in every game. Sooner or later they will break through & start winning. With Api leading the team, they will also have some inside knowledge about how we play the game.

Our last minute loss last week will have us stinging, so I’m expecting us to come out firing. Most will be expecting us to win this easily. I just hope we don’t get ahead of ourselves.

2 Likes

Agree with all we need to be very prepared for this game and not take any team for granted.

While I half laughed watching the tigers defense earlier this year (and last), the last couple of games they have been quite solid.

I’m not sold on Peachey in the centres, would of fathered Jenkins or even Mav, but I guess the coach knows more than I do.

Was good to see some media about Crighton acknowledging his defensive lapses. Hopefully he watches the videos and realises that rushing up as a centre is a low percentage play. You simply must make the tackle before the player passes the ball. Miss or arrive late and you have left a gaping hole in the line. Something he tended to get away with as a winger, but sometimes one needs to just keep the media and attitude out of year head - you can’t score a match winning intercept ever time you play Souths (or any other team for that matter).

2 Likes

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated    Sorry for the delay :frowning:

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP TEAMLIST

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP TEAMLIST

JERSEY FLEGG CUP TEAMLIST

He has played just over the quarter of his NRL games as a stating Centre, most of them under the coaching of Ivan.

I’m sure he will rise to the occasion and deliver.

1 Like

Cleary in doubt

https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/supercoach-news/nrl-late-mail-round-9-nathan-cleary-in-doubt-tom-trbojevic-fitness-test-on-friday/news-story/5db7007b062f3e225704bcbbcac2c1e0?fbclid=IwAR05YHlgdulZOXWhnQkUe8sknsD16B1i-MuioTlElGRa4PwnMU5a9wxHPe4&mibextid=unz460#share-tools

If Cleary is ruled out I would move Luai to 7, Salmon to 6 and move Cogger to the bench.

Salmon to start for continuity. Once the game has settled down a bit, move Salmon to the second row and bring in Cogger once the Tigers defence starts to tire in the first half.

1 Like

A left field idea, but how about Soni Luke to start in the halves? He played there a bit in the juniors.

Then move Salmon to centre, with Peachey as our bench hooker.

It looks like it’ll be more than a bit wet tomorrow in Bathurst. Ball security should be a major concern; hopefully, Wests makes more mistakes than we do. The weather makes game a bit of a lottery, perhaps.

Sydney Morning Herald reporting Spencer is out, with Liam Henry to make his debut from the bench

Confirmed - Liam Henry to make his debut in place of Spencer.

Hope we don’t take anything for granted, and turn in a good performance for the Bathurst faithful. Go Panthers!

Sorry for doubting you Peach - your playing well in both attack and defence.

We need to pull our head in and play wet weather football. Too much fancy play in these conditions.

Why wasn’t Naden sent off?

The fox commentators are given me the shits.

Well, that was a rubbish first half. As expected ball handling and attention to detail were critical and Penrith was crap on both counts. At one stage the handling errors were 10-1 against us, and the 6-agains were 4-0. Every week the players solemnly talk about how they’ll address those aspects at training. What do they do at training - sink a few beers around the barbie and have a chuckle? I have ceased to believe that kind of talk; they aren’t serious.

1 Like

I had a bad feeing about this game, and unfortunately proved correct. For the most part we were ordinary. Credit to the Tigers, they played smart & frustrated us.

2 Likes

We simply didn’t play to the conditions, respect the ball nor the opposition

It doesn’t matter who you play, if you get those things wrong you will will loose 9/10 times.

Either the coach didn’t give the right message, or the team ignored the coach.

Very disappointing.

2 Likes

Do you still feel that way? A lot of sideways running and costly errors. Peach should be the backup for Salmon and remain in Regs.

Yes the team has lost a couple of stars, but I don’t think it’s a valid excuse with the players coming through.

Discipline and handling errors are costing us every week. There is zero chance of a three-peat unless that can improve.

If Soni Luke’s binning was a genuine hip drop, then the rule seems broken.

3 Likes