[2024] R25 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R25 Raiders v Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue GIO Stadium, Canberra ACT
:clock10: Time Saturday, August 24 3:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers 24/8 5:15pm
JFLEGG Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers 24/8 10:30am
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 16°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 7% / :wind_face: Wind: N 14km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 18 Tries
Goals
Luke Sommerton, Dane Laurie, James Fisher-Harris.
Dylan Edwards (2/3)
Canberra Raiders 22 Tries
Goals
Xavier Savage (2), Kaeo Weekes, Albert Hopoate.
Jamal Fogarty (3/4)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries

Goals
Harrison Hassett, Matthew Eisenhuth, Isaiah Iongi, Sunia Turuva.
Paul Alamoti (5/5)
Canberra Raiders 24 Tries
Goals
Jed Stuart, Trey Mooney, Noah Martin, Owen Pattie.
Adam Cook (4/4)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 Tries
Goals
Nick Murphy (2), Luke Philp, Jaxen Edgar, Judah Galuvao.
Jett Cleary (3/6)
Canberra Raiders 20 Tries
Goals
Ethan Alaia (2), Lekani Mpaso (2).
Keahn Skipps (2/4)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Raiders v Panthers :rugby_football: Raiders v Panthers :rugby_football: Raiders v Panthers
:clock3: Saturday 24/8 3:00pm :clock3: Saturday 24/8 5:15pm :clock3: Saturday 24/8 10:30am
:stadium: GIO Stadium :stadium: GIO Stadium :stadium: GIO Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Daine Laurie 2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jirah Liddiard
3. Izack Tago 3. Paul Alamoti 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Casey Mclean 4. Sam Lane 4. Lachlan Blackburn
5. Brian To’o 5. Daeon Amituanai 5. Nick Murphy
6. Brad Schneider 6. Tyrone Peachey © 6. Jett Cleary
7. Jarome Luai 7. Soni Luke 7. Blake Moore
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant 8. Jakeb Vailalo
9. Luke Sommerton 9. Billy Scott 9. Zack Lamont
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Austin Dias 10. Hokafonu Lemoto
11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Luke Garner 11. Judah Galuvao
12. Liam Martin 12. Zac Lipowicz 12. Siotame Hansen
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Luron Patea 13. Aston Warwick ©
INTERCHANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14. Harrison Hassett 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Niko Apelu 15. Francis Manuleleua
16. Liam Henry 16. Jakeb Vailalo 16. Billy Phillips
20. Luke Garner :small_red_triangle: 17. Asu Kepaoa 17. Luke Philp
RESERVES 18. David Fale
22. Sunia Turuva :small_red_triangle_down: 18. Jack Attard
18. Matt Eisenhuth 19. John Fonua 19. Bayden Moran
19. Paul Alamoti :small_red_triangle_down: 20. Josh Ruxton
17. Jack Cole :small_red_triangle_down: 21. Ahmani Leilua
21. Luron Patea :small_red_triangle_down: 22. Tim Carson
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Grant Atkins TBA TBA
Sideline Official Dave Munro TBA TBA
Liam Kennedy TBA TBA
Video Referee Gerard Sutton - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Grant Atkins 2011 (2/3) 66.7% (21/28) 75% 149 123.5 1.21

I saw a lot of comments on FB of fans happy Cleary will be back for the finals and avoiding surgery.

I’m sure he will be back, but the sceptic in me says it’ll be “season on the line” footy and we’ll find out the real severity of the injury post-season as he goes off for surgery.

Read an article just before (sorry can’t find it again) that quoted Laurie as saying he’ll be on the wing and likely to be Cole or Schneider slotting in alongside Romey. I wonder if the approach behind closed doors is that’s the real halves pairing so that Cleary playing is a massive bonus, and if he goes down, a no-panic, business as usual (as trained) manner.

On Laurie v Turuva, I actually thought we missed Turuva last Thursday night…

Turuva wont be at Panthers next season so maybe it was just to see how DL would go with an eye to next season. Obviously hes no DE at fullback but thought he has played reasonably well when given the opportunity just needs to get rid of those little mistakes around his ball security that have cost us possession.
Overall though hes been a good signing.

2 Likes

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

Updated NRL Teamlist: Round 25

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Saturday’s match against Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium.

Luke Garner has been confirmed to return from a hamstring injury, with Jack Cole dropping off the interchange for the Round 25 match.

The Panthers will wear the 2024 Home Jersey.

1 Like

Mixed first half. You can tell the gameplan by the raiders involve a right side blitz and to slow the attack down as much as possible including making stoppages.

The Panthers need to take control of the game in the second half and set the pace. If they can keep stoppages low and keep the game rolling the Raiders will run out of steam quick.

1 Like

Interesting first half. The ref seems to want to see how many whistles he can go through in one game!!!

I like what Sommerton has been doing, and his try from dummy half was a brilliant play.

I’m not sold on Laurie on the wing. He seems to be a bit hit & miss out wide.

2 Likes

Certainly is a clear ploy to run down the panthers right edge. Commentators we saying only one tackle combined from McLean, To’o and Luai after 25mins. Luais first tackle came at 33.5mins!

Turuva needs to be on the wing, a better finisher and stronger runner than Laurie. Just not on the same edge as Tago. I thought both tago and turuva were better on opposite sides.

Edwards still looks to be labouring.

Henry, Garner and Smith have certainly lifted this year compared to previous years. Big shoes have been filled and will be filled next year.

3 Likes

We were well below our best, but it took an intercept for them to beat us.

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

Where was Turuva? He probably would have scored the first try and been a lot stronger out of our half.

Is Dylan ok. While he might have been nearly best on field, he wasn’t himself. Are we trying to play him out of position?

How good was Yeo? Mr Reliable.

I think this loss is on the coach!

Edwards has looked restricted since coming back from injury. Last week he was very mechanical and (to my unqualified opinion) clearly running in a conscious and restricted way like he was minimising risk of injury.

Today a little free-er but still well off his best.

Turuva got picked apart when paired with Tago. I thought defensively they both looked much better when on opposite sides of the field. I agree with you on Laurie though. In theory he should offer a lot more flexibility, but with Toleau on the bench we should have that covered.

Let’s hope Alamoti comes back strong so it’s a non thought

Not sure what the plans are for finals though. I said earlier that I think we will see a backup half on the bench come finals incase Cleary goes down. Schneider again didn’t fill me with confidence.

Let’s hope Alamoti comes back strong.

2 Likes

I do hope Alomoti comes back into the team.

Laurie has got a great line break in him, but apart from that he is not in my eyes up to first grade standard. Dropped balls, poor defence etc etc.

Our halves seemed lost most of the game, with Yeo and Edwards steering most of the attack.

I thought Smith had a great game again.

Can’t blame the refs for this one.

From here on in the formula is pretty simple;

1st is gone - the Storm have wrapped that up
2nd relies on us winning both remaining games, and other results going our way.
3rd or 4th if we win both games, or one game and other results go our way.
5th or 6 if we win one or none games.

2 Likes

I know that at the end of the game, the ONLY thing that matters is the 2 points.

We are at the point now where a spirited team can overcome us with effort & perhaps a bit of good fortune. Throw in an occasional officiating decision & we are back to the field.

For most of the past 5 seasons, we would win based on winning most of the stats, but now we just don’t have ‘scoring power’ to take advantage of winning the possession & field position. 7 line breaks to 2 should have seen a comfortable victory, but only if these are converted to tries, and a completion rate of 85% is quite acceptable. The kick metres shows just how well we restricted them bringing the ball back.

Closing out games has become problematical with us losing last 2 games after leading well into 2nd half. A speculator long pass when in the lead with less than 10 minutes to go proved costly.

A few players to return for the finals and who knows, maybe it will all come together. Certainly we are not losing thru lack of effort. IC will need to perhaps make a change or two. One guy making 3 errors could be costly in big games as it was yesterday.

Still hoping for the last ride to send Fish & Luai (and Tito) off with the finish they deserve - the other boys got their finish, so should these guys!

Watching the presser gives me confidence that we are not gone!!

4 Likes

A hell of a lot of improvement to come, we have more gears in our kit bag, that is quite evident.

The only issue I have is, we are starting to see a chink when poor decisions are made by the ref, I think it was Lindsay Smith running back shaking his head swearing at himself…that hasn’t been seen before, also a few hands in the air with ref calls. That has not been our DNA for the past few seasons.

It will be interesting to see how we go final 2 rounds in terms of attitude.

2 Likes