[2024] R27 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread

R27 Panthers v Titans

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Gold Coast Titans
:stadium: Venue Penrith Park, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Saturday, September 7 7:35pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP EF New Zealand Warriors v Penrith Panthers 7/9 1:00am1
JFLEGG QF Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 7/9 11:00am1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Mostly Cloudy 17°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 24% / :wind_face: Wind: SE 6km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup Elimination Final and Jersey Flegg Qualifying Final to be played at Leichhardt Oval. Leichhardt NSW

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 18 Tries
Goals
Brian To'o, Dylan Edwards, Luke Garner.
Paul Alamoti (3/4)
Gold Coast Titans 12 Tries
Goals
Jayden Campbell, Alofiana Khan-Pereira.
FJayden Campbell (2/2)

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup Elimination Final | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24 Tries

Goals
Jesse McLean (2), Asu Kepaoa, Daine Laurie, Casey McLean.
Tyrone Peachey (1/3), Billy Scott (1/2)
New Zealand Warriors 12 Tries
Goals
Ali Leiataua, Jacob Laban.
Taine Tuaupiki (2/2)

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup Qualifying Final| Full Time

Penrith Panthers 6 Tries
Goals
Billy Phillips.
Jett Cleary (1/1)
Canterbury Bulldogs 32 Tries

Goals
Taye Cochrane (2), Damon Marshall, Ratu Rinakama, Danny Gabrael, Taye Cochrane.
Cassius Tia (6/6)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup EF Jersey Flegg Cup QF
:rugby_football: Panthers v Titans :rugby_football: Warriors v Panthers :rugby_football: Panthers v Bulldogs
:clock3: Saturday 7/9 7:35pm :clock3: Saturday 7/9 1:00pm :clock3: Saturday 7/9 11:00am
:stadium: Penrith Park :stadium: Leichhardt Oval :stadium: Leichhardt Oval
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Jaxen Edgar
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Asu Kepaoa 2. Jirah Liddiard
3. Izack Tago 3. Tyrone Peachey © 3. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
4. Paul Alamoti 4. Casey Mclean 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Jesse Mclean 5. Nick Murphy
6. Brad Schneider 6. Daine Laurie 6. Jett Cleary
7. Jarome Luai 7. Soni Luke 7. Blake Moore
8. Moses Leota 8. Jordan Grant 8. Jakeb Vailalo
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Luke Sommerton 9. Zack Lamont
10. James Fisher-Harris 10. Austin Dias 10. Siotame Hansen
11. Scott Sorensen 11. Mavrik Geyer 11. Aston Warwick ©
12. Liam Martin 12. Zac Lipowicz 12. Riley Wake
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Luron Patea 13. Billy Phillips
INTERCHANGE
14. Trent Toelau 14. Billy Scott 14. Jenson Tuaoi
15. Lindsay Smith 15. Niko Apelu 15. Hokafonu Lemoto
16. Liam Henry 16. Preston Riki 16. Judah Galuvao
17. Luke Garner 17. Harrison Hassett 17. Lachlan Blackburn
RESERVES
18. Matt Eisenhuth 18. David Fale 18. Poutoa Hotere-Papalii
19. Mavrik Geyer 19. Francis Manuleleua
20. Casey Mclean 20. Luke Philp
21. Daine Laurie 21. Josh Ruxton
22. Luke Sommerton 22. Bayden Moran
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee TBA TBA TBA
Sideline Official TBA TBA TBA
TBA TBA TBA
Video Referee TBA - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
TBA - (-/-) -% (-/-) -% - - -

I’m conflicted. I think Edwards needs to be rested and take some pressure of his knee.

But… NSW Cup play their first week of finals in an elimination match and bringing Laurie in will leave the NSW Cup without a five-eighth with the injury to Cole.

Not sure what Ivan will do. Though judging by Nathan at the game last week watching pre game drills, I would be surprised if you don’t see him in the extended bench tomorrow.

1 Like

How about Turuva to FB, McClean comes in at wing (or keep him centre and push Alamoti out) ?

Does anyone know how Nathan’s shoulder truly is ? He might appear on the extended bench to suggest he’s “really close to returning” but give him the extra week.

2 Likes

That could work, but I would fee more confident with Laurie a FB rather than Turuva.

The problem is that both NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg have made the finals and pushing somebody up means another gap to fill further down the line.

Not too sure how close Nathan is to be honest, he looked good at the ground but he wasn’t passing the ball around so it’s hard to gauge. You would imagine he would like to get a game under his belt before Week 1 of the finals. So I imagine if he is fit enough he would play.

1 Like

Here’s an out of the box suggestion - if Edwards needs a rest and Nath needs game time, why not play Nathan at fullback - less tackling to make so less risk to his shoulder?

2 Likes

ha haaa good one SHF, that would certainly blow out the lungs, not sure of his impact though, he is great over 20 but running for 200m a game might test the resolve.

If he is ready and we are just looking for game time, make him defend on the wing, he is far too good at 7 from an attack POV to be moving him to 1 IMO.

1 Like

I suppose he can just strap the shoulder and arm tight to his body and shoulder charge anyone near the sideline :joy:

1 Like

:mega: Team Lists and Match Officials have been updated.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP

JERSEY FLEGG CUP

1 Like

OK, no surprises there. The task is clear - win the game & move ahead to Week 1.

3 Likes

Our best team minus Cleary.

Great to see Sorro back!

2 Likes

Game officially “SOLD OUT”!

Looking forward to the last game (regular season) at Penrith Park, with hopefully another one next week!!!

Fish in his 200th would be great on its own, but even better how it’s turned out.

C’mon boys!!!

1 Like

Gees, that was a lot harder than it should’ve been!

Glad to. get the win, but our attack was very flat. Schneider does nothing except turn the ball back inside, and we made far too many errors.

Still, a home final next week. But we’ll need to lift, or we’ll get lapped.

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

It wasn’t pretty, but we got the job done. Our attack still doesn’t look good, but should improve with Cleary back. For the fifth year in a row we are the best defensive side, as the saying goes - defence wins premierships.

The best part is we get one more game at home.

3 Likes

Looking at the ladder & draw, I can all but guarantee we are playing Friday next week.

There is a minimum 6 day turnaround for finals meaning Sharks, Manly, Dolphins & Knights can’t play Friday. The only way any of them will play against each other is if the Sharks lose by 134 or more.

The Sharks would have to win by 73 or more to overtake the Roosters on for & against. Also highly unlikely.

This means 3 games can’t be played Friday night, leaving Panthers v Roosters as the only possible option.

1 Like

Well, would have liked to have a better performance going into the finals, but a win was what was required & that was achieved. The occasion maybe got to us a little - final game at ‘home’, old boys day & Fish’s 200th & Luai & Tito’s last.

I suggest we were guilty of looking too far ahead & maybe being almost worried about losing to, let’s face facts a team that could well have been in a 3 or 4 way spoonbowl, & thus impacted our display. Same as against Raiders, let the opposition stay in the contest & always the chance to get rundown late.

The night was truly a memorable event, congrats to the club for the arrangements & to the crowd who turned out to celebrate our club.

Move to next week, seems like Fri night as Mutley wrote above. A whole new competition begins & you need to win 3 games to get the trophy.

C’mon boys!!!

3 Likes

While it was a night to remember (kudos to the Panthers organisation for a memorable send off for the stadium) it certainly won’t be a match to remember. It was very Un-Penrith like, a lot of silly errors, and building up large amounts of attacking pressure only have a poor last tackle option and hitting the relief valve.

I lost count of the times Luai was trapped with the ball on the last leaving Schnieder to put in a average kick of which the Titans recovered easily.

As much as I like Schneider in defence, his attack is poor at times and it shows. I doubt he will be considered for the 6 slot next year.

Out of curiosity I looked up how many games Nathan has played this year, which ended up being 10 games, just one more game than Andrew Johns played in the 1997 ARL seaon where a Leo Dynevor filled in at halfback for the majority of the regular season. The Knights finished second that year to Minor Premiers Manly. The would end up playing each other in the Grand Final with the Knights the victor.

Hopeful thinking but I do hope this is a bit of history repeating.

3 Likes

Agree with the Schneider chat from Sat night, he was passing way to early as well, it’s one thing to keep dropping the ball back under, but the defense needs to be wary of the run possibility, many times Marto was cannon fodder for the defense.

How many high shots did Turuva take before he got a penalty, I again though the refereeing was sub par. The only saving grace for him was our performance wasn’t that great either and his judgement calls may have been valid…

Anyway, bring on the chooks, get another week off and then RIP IN !!

2 Likes