:rugby_football: Match Mens New South Wales Blues v Queensland Maroons
Womens New South Wales Sky Blues v Queensland Maroons
:stadium: Venue Mens Accor Stadium, Homebush NSW
Womens Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane QLD
:clock10: Time Mens Wednesday 5th June 2024 8:05pm
Womens Thursday 16th May 2024 7:45pm
:tickets: Tickets Mens Tickets via Ticketek
Womens Tickets via Ticketek
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather Mens :cloud_with_rain: Rain 13°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 90% / :wind_face: Wind: 4km/h)
Womens :cloud_with_rain: Rain 17°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 80% / :wind_face: Wind: SSW 3km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [DELAYED]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [DELAYED]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Mens State of Origin Game 1 | Full Time

40px QLD 38 Tries Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (3), Ben Hunt (2), Xavier Coates.
Goals Valentine Holmes (7/7)
40px NSW 10 Tries James Tedesco, Zac Lomax.
Goals Nicholas Hynes (1/2)

:rugby_football: Womens State of Origin Game 1 | Full Time

40px NSW 22 Tries Emma Tonegato, Jaime Chapman, Caitlan Johnston.
Goals Rachael Pearson (5/5)
40px QLD 12 Tries Tamika Upton, Emily Bass.
Goals Zahara Temara (2/2)

Postgame Media

MENS

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

WOMENS

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

Teams & Officials

MENS

NSW Blues Queensland Maroons
TEAM
James Tedesco 1 FB 1 Reece Walsh
Brian To’o 2 WG 2 Xavier Coates
Stephen Crichton 3 CE 3 Valentine Holmes
Joseph-Aukuso Sua’alii 4 CE 4 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
Zac Lomax 5 WG 5 Murray Taulagi
Jarome Luai 6 FE 6 Tom Dearden
Nicholas Hynes 7 HB 7 Daly Cherry-Evans
© Jake Trbojevic 8 PR 8 Reuben Cotter
Reece Robson 9 HK 9 Ben Hunt
Payne Haas 10 PR 10 Lindsay Collins
Liam Martin 11 SR 11 Jaydn SưA
Angus Crichton 12 SR 12 Jeremiah Nanai
Cameron McInnes 13 LK 13 Patrick Carrigan
INTERCHANGE
© Isaah Yeo 14 INT 14 Harry Grant
Haumole Olakau’atu 15 INT 15 Moeaki Fotuaika
Spencer Leniu 16 INT 16 J’maine Hopgood
Hudson Young 17 INT 17 Selwyn Cobbo
RESERVES
Matt Burton 18 RSV 18 Felise Kaufusi
COACH
Michael Maguire HC HC Billy Slater

WOMENS

Queensland Maroons NSW Blues
TEAM
Tamika Upton 1 FB 1 Emma Tonegato
Julia Robinson 2 WG 2 Jaime Chapman
Shenae Ciesiolka 3 CE 3 Jessica Sergis
Evania Pelite 4 CE 4 Isabelle Kelly ©
Emily Bass 5 WG 5 Tiana Penitani
Tarryn Aiken 6 FE 6 Corban Baxter
Zahara Temara 7 HB 7 Rachael Pearson
Shannon Mato 8 PR 8 Millie Elliott
Destiny Brill 9 HK 9 Olivia Higgins
Jessika Elliston 10 PR 10 Caitlan Johnston
Tazmin Rapana 11 SR 11 Kezie Apps
Romy Teitzel 12 SR 12 Yasmin Clydsdale
© Ali Brigginshaw 13 LK 13 Olivia Kernick
INTERCHANGE
Emma Manzelmann 14 INT 14 Keeley Davis
Sophie Holyman 15 INT 15 Taliah Fuimaono
Lauren Brown 16 INT 16 Grace Kemp
Makenzie Weale 17 INT 17 Sarah Togatuki
RESERVES
Sienna Lofipo 18 RSV 18 Jakiya Whitfeld
COACH
Tahnee Norris HC HC Kylie Hilder

Match Officials

Mens Womens
Referee Ashley Klein Kasey Badger
Sideline Official Dave Munro Tori Wilkie
Chris Sutton Rochelle Tamarua
Video Referee Liam Kennedy Wyatt Raymond

1 Like

Under the pump after the Sua’ali’i send off. Will be surprised if we get up tonight.

Even after the replays, I fail to see how that is a send off. Walsh brought his head down and Sua’ali’i contact was high.

No doubt it was sin-binnable, and Sua’ali’i will have to answer to the MRC but it wasn’t deserving of a send off.

Klein has royally ruined a Origin match with that action.

1 Like

Gee Wiz, we needed a half back and I reckon API would have made a difference. Let’s hope Dylan is good to go for game 2

1 Like

I don’t even know what to say… I thought there were standouts for NSW, but it was like holding back the sea, down a player for over 70+ minutes the result was a forgone conclusion no matter how well anybody played.

@Griggsy is right though, Hynes was awful. Looked like a deer in headlights for most the game putting a lot of pressure on Luai.

1 Like

i think the send off was a correct call.
before this incident Sualli was playing ok

that said i think Maguire got the selections all wrong again and Hynes is well to be kind NOT a SOO player.

He wasnt the only reason we lost but he was up there.

why did Trobejivic spend 50 minutes on the sideline and only come back with 5 minutes to go?

he was Captain after all.

on the Panthers, i think they all played as well as they could except for Yeos intercept pass but the game was well gone by then.

On the other mob, they have pace to burn which NSW sadly lack and even losing Walsh they brought Cobbo on and moved Fidow to FB who just played with us with his speed.

and goes to show Slater is a seriously good coach and if he continues like this could elevate himself to one of the great coaches and possibly Australian Coach.

On our players Lenui was only only potency we had in attack, that was it.

Hynes missed tackles, had a simply awful kicking game and just added nothing and agreed he placed plenty of pressure on Luai who despite trying just couldn’t get going.

Hynes will be first dropped but he will have some mates go with him!

1 Like

Turned the TV on 15 minutes after the start. Watched for about 5 minutes, then went to bed.

Definitely the best outcome for you. I wish I had thought of that.

The difference between Suallii hit and the Liam Martin hit…the attacker body height, 1 was standing vertical, the other sliding to the ground, the 2 hits IMO were almost identical.

The fact Klein used the term aggressive in his reasoning for the send off is ludicrous !

1 Like

Oh the irony! An aggressive tackler tackling the ultimate passive tackler.

For game 1, the people who picked the team, demonstrated that they listen too much to the media experts, and don’t show any knowledge about RL in the 2020’s.

The teams that have been successful during the last 4 1/2 seasons (Mel, Par, Sth, Bris & us & of course QLD) have all had a winning formula. Big boppers up front who run hard, take a lot of defensive effort to stop them, fast play the ball & hit hard in defence. Where in that does Jake T fit? He runs softly with zero impact, takes forever to get up & play the ball &, whilst he racks up tackles, doesn’t scare anyone with his defence. A theory that is around is that he gets picked in rep teams because he brings his good looking sister to the camps, but I doubt that looking at him & his brothers, their sister would have any great looks :slight_smile:

A clever D/H has been a crucial factor in all these teams, and we leave out Api and pick a defender. We pick a defender at 13, leaving the best 13 in the game on the bench?

The celebration of the return of "teddy’ was ridiculous. Finally he was dropped, and then the injury to Edwards was seen as a huge plus, as we got Teddy back!!!
The other media fav "Nicho’ was again found wanting. He kills it against weak opposition, but fails when put under pressure - just look at his game against us two weeks ago.

The current NSW coach & hangers on can say that the game was gone when the send-off came. In fact it was gone when they named an inferior team.

NSW will never win until they pick the best team. If they lose game 2, I want all Panthers left out of game 3 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree with all the above.

While the game was over in the 7th minute, the send off was deserved, and let’s face it Suali should never have been picked in the first place.

Teddy showed why he is over it.

As said Hynes is a pretender when it comes to big games. Sure Moses has a tendency to go to water when behind on the scoreboard , but at least he can play from the front, something Hynes can’t do except with weak opposition.

My changes for game 2:

Edwards for Teddy (no brained).
Burton or Latrell in centres
Moses for Hynes
Yeo to play lock and captain.
Api at hooker - maybe off the bench (I’d play Kenny for the first 30 minutes e.g 2022 GF).
Need a big tough prop - maybe RCG?

I actually think this is a good compromise between what we have now, and having stand alone weekends. It will mean more recovery time for players backing up.

1 Like

This sounds like wishful thinking or a hoax, but I for one hope it is true.

Yes a good compromise

1 Like

I was just sick.

Fittler and Johns on WWOS have said Moses should be 7, Cody Walker should be 6 and Mitchell should be in the centres.

Moses i thought was average last night, Walker and Mitchell against Broncos were average at best.

and now suggesting Cam Murray also makes the squad.

Now these 2 are saying they are the silver bullet for our team.

I hope NO Panther players get picked, not because i wouldn’t want them to be recognised at the elite level but in the last game Yeo was off the bench and now they are dismissing Luai because he was outside Hines who is useless at this level.

They couldn’t pick a team to win when they were in charge, now they want to pick a winning side.

They must be watching a different game to what i am watching.

3 Likes

Trying not to use my panther bias;

I’d have Latrell in the centres, Burton at 5/8, Luai at 1/2, Yeo at lock, and Edwards at fullback, Api at 9.

No other changes to the starting line up, maybe Murray on the bench instead of McInnes.

2 Likes

I think Luai at 7 offers more then Moses at 7

On Latrell, i just couldn’t pick him as he only plays for 10 minutes and then goes missing.

at SOO level you cannot hide.

2 Likes

I would pick Bradman Best over Latrell every day of the week

2 Likes