Flood areas in NSW and QLD

For those who live in the flooded areas of New South Wales, and Queensland, you guys, and gals, are in my thoughts. Take care, and evacuate, when ordered. This brings painful memories of last year.

3 Likes

We moved from Elanora on the Gold Coast to Bribie Island last June. Bribie has been a trifle damp the last several days but Elanora is a disaster. Lucky us.

1 Like

I know of someone, who lives in Lismore, his house is destroyed thanks to the floods. Fortunately, he has home, and contents, insurance.

Stay safe all - the scenes shown on TV are very sad.

More dams for flood mitigation required, the additional water storage would be a bonus.

Professor Tim Flannery 2007 " So even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems" - maybe ask people in SE QLD & Northern NSW.

1 Like

To be honest, that will not help.

Sorry Boss but it does help - just look at Somerset and Wivenhoe dams.

I disagree with that, each to their own.

Floods, wars, breakaway plots, whatever happened to Covic 19 ?

It’s not interesting anymore :man_shrugging:

The floods, or COVID?

COVID isn’t news anymore

1 Like

Only 10560 new cases and five deaths today.
Meanwhile masks are recommended while you sandbag your home or workplace.:roll_eyes:

Just to provide some context for Tim Flannery’s oft (mis)quoted remarks;

The line often quoted is: “even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems.”

The quote is from a Landline interview in 2007. The full quote, reproduced below, was to the effect that Australia was at the time currently experiencing a 60% fall in run-off going into dams due to hotter soils and greater rainfall take-up by drought-stressed vegetation and that this would be indicative of what we could eventually expect as a consistent and normal outcome in the future.

He did not say that the dams would never fill again at any time from the date he was speaking, which is the often intentionally distorted view presented by Andrew Bolt and other climate change deniers. Flannery was pointing to a long-term outcome of normalized water shortage based on current data and climate trends.

Flannery’s quote in context is:

“We’re already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia,** which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we’re getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that’s translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers. That’s because the soil is warmer because of global warming and the plants are under more stress and therefore using more moisture. So even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems.”

Flannery also went on to discuss the IPCC’s 3rd Assessment Report, which states:

"To summarize the rainfall results, drier conditions are anticipated for most of Australia over the 21st century. However, consistent with conclusions in WGI, "an increase in heavy rainfall also is projected** , even in regions with small decreases in mean rainfall. This is a result of a shift in the frequency distribution of daily rainfall toward fewer light and moderate events “and more heavy events. This could lead to more droughts and more floods.”

Given the recent floods & La Niña events of this year & last year, just thought I’d point that out.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Flooding in Penrith / Hawkesbury Region - Information

I’ve been keeping an eye on the water levels last night & this morning. My oldest nephew is at a school camp on Milsons Island, which is a bit concerning.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN60143.html

Hopefully, all works out well.

Just heard my nephew & his class got out ok. A load off my mind. Hope everyone else stays safe.

2 Likes

Great news, Mutley. So glad to hear it.

Hoping the best for everyone else. Stay safe!

1 Like