NSWRL abandons Major Competitions for 2021

NSWRL makes tough call to abandon Major Competitions

NSWRL | 10 August 2021

The NSWRL Board has made the very difficult decision to abandon a number of Major Competitions for the 2021 season in response to the COVID-19 outbreak across the Greater Sydney Region.

The competitions affected include The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership, Jersey Flegg Cup, Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield, which were suspended at the start of July.

The NSW Government last month extended the lockdown for the Greater Sydney Region, including Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour, to try and combat the rising COVID-19 outbreak.

“With the current Public Health Order in force until at least 28 August, and there understandably being no current NSW Government sanctioned roadmap out of the lockdown for sport, the Board was left with little option but to cancel our Major Competitions,” NSWRL Chief Executive David Trodden said.

“In reaching their decision, the Board considered its obligation to provide participants with a safe environment to play sport. The NSW Government’s health advice, particularly the state of infection rates and vaccination rates, made it difficult to provide that environment in the immediate future.

“The NSWRL thanks our participants, officials and volunteers for their contribution to our Major Competitions this season. We urge them to remain safe, adhere to the COVID-19 safe guidelines and we look forward to their return in 2022.”

The NSWRL continues to work with the Office of Sport, NSW Health and other winter codes to form a position on Community Sport with a decision expected on Monday 16 August 2021.

SOURCE

Just a reference on the finishing positions for the teams this year (till the time of cancellation). Also finishing places in local Sydney Competitions where PDJRL teams play.

Knock On Effect Cup NSW Cup

Team P W L D F A +/- Pts.
1 Penrith Panthers 18 12 1 5 417 192 +225 35

Jersey Flegg Cup

3 Penrith Panthers 17 6 4 7 305 237 +237 23

Ron Massey Cup

1 St Marys Saints 18 11 1 6 490 124 +366 32
7 Windsor Wolves 18 5 7 6 291 380 -89 20

Sydney Shield

1 St Marys Saints 18 11 1 6 528 184 +344 32
3 Penrith Brothers 18 9 2 7 380 252 +128 29
9 Windsor Wolves 18 3 8 7 263 394 -131 17

with respect, who really cares !

Then next time I guess I’ll keep my mouth shut Puss…

Please forgive my ignorance.

No, I’m the ignorant one. But trying to follow the lower grades during this pandemic has been harrowing to say the least.

I liked the update, thanks Steve :wink:

1 Like