[2024] QF Panthers v Roosters - Game Day Thread

The Roarters are a family and friends club….the only real fans they have are family and friends of the players.
We should make the most of home advantage….lets go Panthers.

2 Likes

Updated NRL Teamlist: Qualifying Final

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Friday night’s match against Sydney Roosters at BlueBet Stadium.

The Panthers will wear the Alternate (Pasifika) Jersey.

We are going with an all forward bench, so obviously no worries about Nath or any other backs fitness.

I never did get around to writing my summary of last weeks game, but in the end it was almost a training run, imagine the instructions were “just win with no injuries, no suspensions”.

That’s also the game plan all through the finals.

A couple of notes: it goes without saying we need to start hard, fast and strong. Minimise the errors and don’t give Kline any reason to penalise us. It’s finals, so if offered a gift two points take it. Don’t wait till the last few minutes to kick a field goal.

Statistics and records mean nothing from here in. I’m confident the team knows it and knows what it takes,

Panthers by 13

3 Likes

Team update has Garner starting in place of Sorensen. Scneider comes onto the bench. Don’t know what happened to Sorensen - hammy still troubling him, maybe?

Nervous about this one. Fingers crossed.

What a game! Penrith switch the gearbox into top gear for the finals. A brief comeback from the roosters the. We turn on the panthers defense and smother any hope for them.

Garner was great, Cleary steered the ship well, but without a doubt Dylan was the standout MOTM. Teddy looked like a fool in comparison

Last week I was melancholy after the game, tonight was just a party.

More at the ground than the offical crowd tally. I reckon 23-24k - definitely the biggest I have ever experienced.

Fairwell ol girl, you served us well to the very end.

A week off to recover - one game away from our 5th grand final in a row!

4 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

It was hard not to get emotional after full time, after so many years at this ground. Back when I was a kid we were members, but I became a full paying adult in 2014. To be on this ride is just phenomenal. Really going to miss the den, but hopefully we can bring that energy to Accor, then commbank next year.

Bring it on!

6 Likes

I went into this game thinking we had limped into second place, and may be in trouble.

Tonight I’m thinking we’re a good chance of another Premiership. The boys really switched on when it mattered, and are looking hungry again.

4 Likes

Refereeing is still a worry; two guess agains and a penalty in the opening minutes of the second half gave the roosters a sniff which they didn’t deserve.

5 Likes

Yes, those ‘guess agains’ are the wildcards of the NRL.

2 Likes

First of all - what a great atmosphere at the game last night. Everyone deserves congrats on that - a fitting way to bring down the curtain on Penny Park.

I was always confident we could beat the chooks if we played anywhere near our best. Well that first 40 was the dictionary definition of BEST. I was always hoping that when the time came ie finals we would be able to lift & that sure happened.

I refused to mention the name of the ref all week, as I knew that he would be the biggest danger to us, but even his efforts early in the 2nd half could not beat us.

I thought the only way the chooks could get us was to play razzle dazzle to run up a score, but we absolutely dominated them for most of the game & their coach aka the ‘ground announcer’ with his microphone setup, was again making excuses postgame.

We were great all across the park - no bad performers for the good guys. OUTSTANDING!!!

Week off and then two games to win!!! :paw_prints: :paw_prints: :paw_prints:

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. After the second Rorters’ try there was plenty of talk around me about Klein’s brown paper bag. And did I miss something, but wasn’t there reason for the sin bin when one of them held back two of us under their crossbar?

3 Likes

My biggest gripe is for the f#$%wit who controls the PA at NRL finals. Every year that we are well into our victory song, the prick shuts it down because he can’t wait to have his few words. It really gives me the s#$%&s - every time.

On the plus side, how do you pick only 3 players for MOM. Was there a bad player in the 17? Even Eisenhuth didn’t give away his obligatory penalty. There was so much media chatter about how we limped into the finals, and that we were about to be ambushed by the Rorters. Only one team was ambushed there, and the ground is still covered in feathers.

5 Likes

With Storm winning today, I’m thinking we will get the Saturday prelim. Storm & NRL won’t want to clash with the AFL GF.

So the first week of finals over we will get a weeks rest before playing the winner of the Cowboys v Sharks Semi Final.

2 Likes

Who would everyone prefer Cowboys or Sharks? I think we will beat either and then beat Storm in GF. Lets go Panthers

3 Likes

I don’t think I have a preference to be honest. I think with Sorenson back and some of our guys getting a needed break to recover (Edwards / Martin), and with a game under Nathan Cleary’s belt I think we should comfortable beat either of those sides.

4 Likes

It’s finals time, we simply went back to what works…straight through the middle. I am LOVING Lindsay Smith and Liam Henry impacts after Fish & Moses go off…I know Fish is a big loss, but we as a club are in very good hands up front.

Mitch Kenny pound for Pound is the biggest hitter in the game…modern day Adam Docker with a shitload more skill lol

4 Likes

Not sure what to say.

That first half was amazing and was a near replica of the Eels GF.

Back end of the season looked scratchy AF and gave me little confidence. Last two rounds looked promising and I had hope that the ship was turning around.

Edwards is clearly starting to move more freely. He got himself into position defensively in circumstances he’s missed in the past few weeks and looked so much more threatening in attack.

Somehow you add Cleary back into the mix and it’s like we woke up and played the dominant 2023 brand football.

They’ve clearly been working on new plays. The number of times I saw guys (perhaps To’o?) sprinting across field to get in the mix was well above other weeks.

Thankfully we have seen the week off in Finals only helps the Panthers to refresh (scary), focus and be more dominant. Only 80 minutes away from a 5th straight GF!

I can see an epic Storm v Panthers GF. Here’s hoping a true GF revenge!

4 Likes