[2023] QF Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread

Perfect time slot in my opinion.

Probably the best team we can field at the moment, though I probably would have had Salmon at 14 rather than Peach. Mind you Peach does (marginally) better at hooker.

Up against 3 ex panthers, plus the coach of course.

Johnson very dangerous, but suffocate his game and we should win.

As long as we treat this as a final, and treat the opposition with the upmost respect, we should win comfortably.

Idle off and we open the door for them.

We have done it before we can do it again.

1 Like

:mega: Team lists and match officials have been announced.

TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP QUALIFYING FINAL

I would prefer Peachey in the 14. He can cover hooker and can cover in the halves and the fringes too if needed.

He has quite the knack for line breaks too, get him in with some tired Warriors defence and he will bend that line.

1 Like

A mate of mine always says “rocks and diamonds” about Peach. He certainly offers more potential but I fear the occasional lack of discipline, be it the lazy slap across the face or ball handling error.

To me, Salmon is a more solid option.

1 Like

Maybe, but i do like Salmon as an 18th man. If they illegally take any of our guys out, he’s a great option to come on just about anywhere.

These are all fair points, Peachey has even said himself in an article in the Western Weekender that his performance has been inconsistent since his time at the Tigers, but my logic regarding Peachy and Salmon goes a bit further than Saturday afternoon.

Things can go sideways this week, and maybe Cogger or heaven forbid Cleary may pick up a niggling injury against the Warriors. Having Salmon at 18th man means that he will be available for this game if needed, and can fill in at 6 or 7 if the need arises.

Peachy is a strong utility player and is solid in most positions on the field, and in that same article he says he prefers the utility row (he even said he doesn’t mind at all playing in NSW Cup is that’s where he is needed).

Salmon is a good insurance policy and I agree can slot right into the bench if needed. We have hit a streak of bad luck injuries this year (sure Taylan May or Jarome Luai can attest to that). Almost every player in the squad has had some injury downtime this year with a few exceptions.

Also I would say that Peachy would be the first in line to snare that Utility spot vacated by Salmon in 2024. He has some good year left in him and from that interview he had he seems to have a new love for the game and is enjoying his footy, and I feel that is a strength our team has.

2 Likes

Interesting development.

https://x.com/nrlphysio/status/1699606849870598191

I reckon this is just mind games. As long as he can walk he will take the field.

Johnson out.

I was first thinking mind games, but by time you reach quotes from Webster, I think it’s genuine.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/warriors-hit-with-terrible-news-over-star-halfback-shaun-johnson/news-story/155735565d567d74236d157de4ada9a4

1 Like

Warriors have confirmed that Shaun Johnson will not be part of the squad on Saturday.

Tago out. Peachey from bench to left centre, Salmon onto bench.

I hope it’s not serious and purely a case of resting to ensure available next game…

If there’s any silver lining, it’s that it was tago and shouldn’t be too disruptive to the side given he has been out for quite a few weeks prior.

2 Likes

For me, this is a really bad sign. We will now be missing two of our most dangerous and creative backs. Plus, you only need to go back to the Eels game to be reminded that the Peach is not a centre. Even Gutherson ran rings around him on one leg. Parramatta scored so many points down that side that the game was done and dusted. You can bet that the Wahs will be sending so much traffic down that side that we’ll need to install traffic lights to stop them - the Peach will just be a speed bump. This will put so much more pressure on To’o to cover two attackers. Is there no decent centre in the Cup side? This will more than balance the loss of Johnson.

1 Like

Not sure the Eels game was the best example though Faulco. Peach played left centre alongside Jenkins and whilst Gutho got a couple down that side Sivo scored four down the righthand side with McLean and To’o.

What the Eels game showed (to me) was how far up a creek we are if we lose Edwards.

That might sound a little hypocritical from me given other posts about Peach. I think if he’s our weakest link, we’re going to be OK.

You mentioned the Cup side… I don’t know what that means for our depths in centre, given we’ve used Hosking and Peach to fill the void and only opted for McLean when down a winger (Turuva) and two wingers (Tago + Crichton who played FB).

Edit: Don’t forget, with the same/similar backline we have beaten:

• Bulldogs 44 - 18 (To be critical, you could say Peach got turned inside out for one try),
  • Storm 26 - 6 (yes without Hughes),
  • Sharks 28 - 0
  • Titans 40 - 14 (Again, could potentially mark 1 try against Peach+Hosking)
1 Like

I must admit I too am concerned with Tago being out, but Edwards and Sorro in means we are a very different side to that which played the eels, not to mention Kenny’s defense in the middle.

This is however a finals game against a top 4 side, we have to treat it as such, and don’t for a second think we can have it easy or drop our guard like we did in ‘21 against the bunnies.

With the right mindset and fast start we win this.

1 Like

Something i noticed from our finals series last year, although we were dominant - it seemed after the games where players were rested - it took the boys longer to really get into the game. This gives me confidence that Penrith will start well today. The warriors have had that rest, but they’re also dealing with fresh combinations. Hopefully we can start well and put some early pressure on, score some points and settle all of our nerves!

Garner at centre. Peach retains bench spot.

Clinical today! The only dangerous attack that the Warriors could mount is after an offload that was long after the player was held.

5 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.