[2022] R14 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread

If he’s injured he shouldn’t be named, this ducks & drakes with team lists is pure crap. The sooner we stop the mind games and allow the fans to know what is going on the better the game will be.

SOO case in point, we’ve named all 6 yesterday who are still to play tonight. That team could look very very different after tonight so what F@#$ing value does it provide to the supporters?

My understanding is he has a suspected rib injury and they don’t want to risk it.

We are playing a bottom 4 side, 4 points clear at the top of the table, and will have (some) origin players back on deck.

Maybe if more supporters stuck their noses in here at Panther Pride they’d be privvy to the latest updates. Get the word out Kev ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up re Spencer Steve. :grinning:

It’s a requirement fro the NRL to name a preliminary squad on Tuesday. You are only allow to select a run on side from the pool you announce on Tuesday.

To my understanding (which could of course be wrong) it is to provide some certainty to bookmakers in setting markets, primarily exotic markets such as try scorer and such.

It does become a bit unhinged during origin, but typically clubs name a 22 man squad most times.

2 Likes

Origin Update

Nathan Cleary, Isaah Yeo and Liam Martin have been ruled out of the match, with minor injuries and fatigue issues.

Jerome Luai, Stephen Crichton, Brian To’o, Nathan Cleary and Liam Martin are expected to play.

1 Like

:rugby_football: Knock On Effect NSW Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 12 Tries Sunia Turuva (2).
Goals Niwhai Puru (2/2)
Canberra Raiders 34 Tries Albert Hopoate (2), Elijah Anderson, Ata Mariota, Rayden Burns, Clay Webb.
Goals Brad Schneider (5/6)

KNOCK ON EFFECT NSW CUP REPORT

:rugby_football: Jersey Flegg Cup | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 18 Tries Angelis Hotere-Papalii, Zac Lipowicz, William Fakatoumafi.
Goals Addison Williams (3/3)
Canberra Raiders 28 Tries Harrison Leadbitter, Thomas Casey, Jed Stuart, Tane Kiriona, Sione Moala.
Goals Sione Vuki (4/5)

JERSEY FLEGG CUP REPORT

Updated Team List

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has updated his squad for Sunday afternoon’s match against the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle.

Five players have dropped out of the squad, including co-captain Isaah Yeo, who will miss the match due to load management. NSW Blues followed protocols during and following Wednesday night’s State of Origin match, however Yeo, who has played every game this season, will be rested on Sunday afternoon due to work load.

In Yeo’s absence, Matt Eisenhuth has been promoted to start at lock, while Spencer Leniu has been added to the interchange.

Robert Jennings and Chris Smith remain on the extended bench for the Round 14 fixture.

The Panthers will wear the 2022 Home Jersey.

SOURCE

Just saw that IC will miss the game on medical advice. This is taking some time for him to shake.

Considering where the respective teams are placed on the ladder, i suspect this will not be an easy game for the Panthers

We will miss Yeo but i am a little concerned about Cleary. A concern i have shared before but moreso given his SOO game.

whether it was instructions, forwards not given him time or a combination of both…his game was poor and his kick game was terrible IMO It was one dimensional and not in anyway attacking.

We have a forward pack to give him time, but they cannot control between his ears.

If we see Cleary respond, we should get the lollies and do expect him to respond…these are the danger games given we are playing a team who are where they are on the ladder because of how they are playing.

Can Obrien get them up for this…i don’t think so.

This is a game for the “process” to be on display, Panthers going away IMO

Dominant first half. Cleary has been everywhere, and is reminding everyone why he is the games best #7.

2 Likes

Nice first half and both Cleary and Luai turned it up a notch and Cleary’s kicking game was on full display.
I hope the boys go on with this and we have been guilty in the past on being a little soft when we have a good lead, but we have set ourselves up to keep piling on points.

A couple of quick tries and Knights will be looking to get off and head to the bar.

Do we keep Cleary on late into he game and who plays 7 if he comes off for a reward?

I think we might leave both Cleary and Luai on until the end.

1 Like

Nice win but was most happy with how Nathan went off when they scored.

Their try was a blemish and some late effort work by us was not good.

Said it before but scary thing is we can play better.

Hope all the boys pull up OK and enjoy the win

2 Likes

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

That was beyond awesome. Thought Knights were better than the scoreline suggested but panthers were awesome. Big shoutout to the officials, first time in living memory we didn’t have a disallowed try/tries.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Once again a comprehensive display with Yeo out and several guys backing up from Wed night, albeit against a team that don’t offer much.

Note to Fittler - Give NC & Romey some go forward up front, good service from d/h & a ref keeping a reasonable 10, & they will just about win every time. Too big, too strong & too unrelenting.

Not a bad player & asking questions on every set just outplays the opposition. A good sign is the players reaction to letting thru a linebreak or a try - they really strive for perfection.

Onwards & upwards

3 Likes

This.

I feel the problem with the halves at origin came down to poor delivery out from dummy half and the forwards not doing their job allowing their HB and FE to set a strong attacking line.

I fell maybe Cook needs to be tapped on the shoulder and make way for Api Koroisau at Hooker. The delivery needs to be much quicker.

On the game itself, it was amazing to see both Cleary and Laui back up with so much vigor, it really speaks to the fitness of those two Even when Edick Lee made that run down the side line, Cleary was the only man left in chase.

It was a big statement made, not only did it show how out of depth the Knights are (Ponga or not), but it just went to show how fit this team is and the class and control they have over the game. I don’t want to sound cocky, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we dont’ drop another game this regular season (barring injury).

3 Likes

Another superb team game. How do you only pick three players for MOM?

3 Likes

The way I see it… no matter what three you pick, you’re right.

5 Likes