State of Origin I - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Queensland Maroons v New South Wales Blues
:stadium: Venue Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville QLD
:clock10: Time Wednesday 9th June 2021 8:10pm
:tickets: Tickets Available via Ticketmaster
:stadium: Gates Open Open at 6:30pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 20°C (<1% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [DELAYED]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [DELAYED]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

* NSW Cup fixture to be played at Henson Park on Saturday 12th June.

:rugby_football: State of Origin - Game 1 | Full Time

NSW Blues 50 Tries Tom Trbojevic (3), Brian To’o (2), Latrell Mitchell (2), Daniel Saifiti.
Goals Nathan Cleary (8/8), Latrell Mitchell (1/1)
QLD Maroons 6 Tries Kurt Capewell.
Goals Valentine Holmes (1/1)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

PLAYER RATINGS

Teams

Queensland Maroons New South Wales Blues
TEAM
Valentine Holmes 1 FB 1 James Tedesco (c)
Xavier Coates 2 WG 2 Brian To’o
Kurt Capewell 3 CE 3 Latrell Mitchell
Dane Gagai 4 CE 4 Tom Trbojevic
Kyle Feldt 5 WG 5 Josh Addo-Carr
Cameron Munster 6 FE 6 Jarome Luai
Daly Cherry-Evans (c) 7 HB 7 Nathan Cleary
Christian Welch 8 PR 8 Daniel Saifiti
Harry Grant 9 HK 9 Damien Cook
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 10 PR 10 Jake Trbojevic
Felise Kaufusi 11 SR 11 Cameron Murray
David Fifita 12 SR 12 Tariq Sims
Jai Arrow 13 LK 13 Isaah Yeo
INTERCHANGE
AJ Brimson 14 INT 14 Jack Wighton
Jaydn Su’A 15 INT 15 Junior Paulo
Moeaki Fotuaika 16 INT 16 Payne Haas
Joe Ofahengaue 17 INT 17 Liam Martin
RESERVES
Coen Hess 18 RSV 18 Api Koroisau
Ben Hunt 19 RSV 19 Campbell Graham
RSV 20 Keaon Koloamatangi
COACH
Paul Green Head Coach Brad Fittler
Johnathan Thurston Assistant Coach Greg Alexander

Match Officials

Referee Gerard Sutton
Sideline Official Todd Smith
Phil Henderson
Video Referee Ashley Klein

I only want 1 result…No Injuries to the Panthers :innocent:

2 Likes

Good game last night. It was great to see the Panther boys shine. Nathan Cleary and Jerome Luai worked well out there, made the shifting of the ball from side to side very effective and wore the Queensland forwards down.

Brian To’o had his critics… too small… going to get monstered out there with taller wing opponents. Well, her really silenced his critics. Motoring up the middle making killer metres and tackling hard, with 2 tries to boot.

Issah Yeo was great, solid defender, a few big breaks, and that clutch tackle denying the Queenslanders a second consolation try.

Laim Martin was also solid, didn’t get a huge chance to stamp himself on this game, but fit in well. He will be better from that experience.

Kurt Capewell was one of the better performers in the Queensland squad, but found it had as the Queensland squad started to wear under the weight of NSW attack. The try getting on Turbo’s outside was great.

Injury wise, it’s a pretty clean sheet. Nathan Cleary got a knock to his face that saw him blood binned. There was worry it was a fractured cheek bone, but has been confirmed to be only a laceration.

3 Likes

Special mention to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian getting into the Origin spirit while standing in a dark room watching a iPhone size television, holding her unopened can on Coke No-Sugar… at 4pm “Getting ready for Game 1”

I’m sure some staffer will lose their job for that one. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice summary Steve and agree 100%…Panther players were great and carried themselves well and did their club and town proud.

Nicer still to hear no injuries to worry about.

Congrats to all of our players.

1 Like

I too congratulate Panther reps, but am relieved we have survived unscathed from injury and … suspension !!!

notice many NRL clubs resting their SOO representatives from the upcoming round. Will fatigue hinder NRL players from performing to the level with their respective clubs, that got them to SOO in the first place, once the series is completed? Obviously it’s likely to impact on Penrith with such a large representation. With Roosters and Eels on the horizon will our blokes have anything left in the tank?
What do you think?

I think the pace of the game is too fast for players to back up from Origin like in past years @Puss.

The physical requirements would see a lot of players pretty gassed pretty quickly, especially forwards. Not worth risking losing a spot on the bench cause you can’t put your exhausted interchange players on.

1 Like

Agree, SBF; there wasn’t a bad performer amongst the Penrith reps. Probably no bad players in the team as a whole. But when I read the nrl.com match report the next morning, it took a while before I found reference to anyone apart from Trbojevic and Mitchell (sorry, that should say Turbo and Latrell, the NRL darlings). Apparently they just about carried the team to victory. So impressive.

3 Likes

They should use that photo as inspiration for a new trophy!

1 Like

One thing I know will happen from this, Kaufusi will be elbows up in game 2…only with ball in hand mind you…where it is apparently legal in todays game for him !