The media & rugby league

As many of you would know, I’m fairly critical of the media and their involvement in the game. Two “journalists” (or gossip columnists as I like to refer to them) in particular draw my ire for the way they try to build up rivalries in the game, then do nothing but criticise players, and sometimes fans, when things boil over.

The way I see it, there is no need for the media to build up the rivalries anyway. The players & fans don’t need any help from the media, we all know about the rivalries.

I also think the media has too much access to players these days. If you keep sticking a microphone in front of them, sooner or later they are bound to say something “newsworthy”.

It has been good to see our coach & a few club legends come to the defence of the players this week after the attention they received from the media.

1 Like

A more balanced look at our premiership celebrations:

A lot of this negative media is mostly coming from Paul Kent (the sports equivalent of a gossip columnist). His tirade on NRL360 was so far off base, even the other panelist were not on board with his opinion. Yet in typical Paul Kent fashion he doubles down on his absurd claims and speculations.

As Kent would say “he has a track record”

Defended Ricky Stuarts gross comments regarding Jaeman Salmon telling the NRL360 viewers they they didn’t know the story behind it, yet didn’t even make mention to the actual story (if there even is one). No apology regarding his attack of Salmon on air. Jaeman is looking at legal options.

Paul Kents rant about Panthers trainer Pete Green making comments to Jed Cartwright on field that led Cody Walker into a post match altercation. It was later revealed to be a misunderstanding, and the parties involved considered the matter sorted. But Kent again on NRL360 demands the club to “release the audio” as if he had something to do with the situation. Again… of course no apology.

Kent goes on a rant after the Panthers Premiership celebrations, how they are “bad winner” and ruining the reputation of rugby league. Claiming they were disrespectful, “carrying on like 16 year old children”. A view that has been overwhelming panned by other rugby league commentators and journalists. But he has made sure his opinion has dominated the NRL360 coverage. One comment had stated he spent more time whinging about Penrith then they did covering the NRLW Grand Final.

This goose clearly has a axe to grind against Penrith, and his bias show. I understand his job is to give his opinion, but it has to be balanced. If he claims to be a journalist, maybe he should start acting like one. If your information is wrong, correct it and apologise. If he is incapable of that, then he should stick to being a gossip merchant he clearly is.

3 Likes

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/paul-kent-returns-to-his-cave-to-hibernate-until-an-nrl-player-punches-someone-at-a-pub-in-april/?fbclid=IwAR1cjPiF2K8T1mNsEFbcNrv3VAGD4itbaS_CblfR9oMZ5fXapoxLQJDitVw&fs=e&s=cl

Gees he’s full of himself. Men in their 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s agree with him apparently. I know one in his 40s who doesn’t!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leaves me wondering what the 25 to 39 demographic think of him. This septuagenarian thinks he is a total d–khead.

2 Likes

one word from me - HYPOCRITE

2 Likes

He’s booring and deserves to be ignored. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

He’s a complete liar. Says his articles were ‘explosive’. They wouldn’t pop your ears. Says he isn’t on social media, the lies and stupidity goes on. I guess he didn’t generate the clicks he thought he would so has to try and put more of his garbage out. The Andrew Bolt of the NRL world.

4 Likes

This 40’s almost 50yo doesn’t agree with him one iota

1 Like

Don’t forget, Paul Kent wrote a sharticle about Jarome Luai. In it, he likened a post Jarome made in 21 that had lyrics to a drill song (probably one four) to the current youth crime in western Sydney.

Jarome (and by extension Penrith) then blacklisted the DT. I wouldn’t really call it a bias, it’s just a straight up direct misinformation campaign to go after a club that won’t accept a newspaper publicly defaming them.

PK has recently been claiming that the NRL is ‘going woke’. Unfortunately there is now only a difference in name between Paul Kent, and the absolute dribble Paul Murray or whatever his name is on sky after dark.

I actually fear there is a more sinister motive behind this from Murdoch but I’m probably over reaching there haha.

1 Like

We were helped out in Gus’s day by Packer - a natural enemy of Murdoch. Plus Gus is Channel 9 which doesn’t help.

1 Like

Make my last one-word post plural !

Agenda’s, everyone has them and if there is a financial benefit…look out for the hyperbole factory.

2 Likes

Apart from any contractual requirements with NRL & sponsors covering media access to our team/club, we should refuse to talk with anyone in the media. They need us more than we need them & they need to learn that biting the hand that feeds them is self-defeating.

No representative of our club should ever appear on any Fox show, other than on the field playing the game.

The Panthers media team do a great job in promoting our club in a positive manner.

3 Likes

From The Roar:

1 Like

I’m not going to go on too much into this, as it doesn’t really deserve the attention it’s getting, but I will say this…

Paul Kent thrives on the oxygen others give him to say the absurd stuff he says. His value to his employers is the attention and heat that he receives from viewers, it keeps them engaged and it’s all about getting eyeballs on them (and their advertisers).

Looking at Facebooks posts in fan groups, he is getting the oxygen from the audience which he can point to his employers at News Corp and say “look at the attention I am driving”.

Whether he believes in his hyperbole or not… I don’t know… and I really don’t care. If you don’t give idiots like Paul Kent oxygen then his value to the organisation is diminished and the likelihood they would ‘move him on’ are increased.

Long story short… don’t fan the flames and you can put the fire out.

2 Likes

Agreed. There’s a reason I don’t buy the Tele, or watch NRL 360 (or anything other than the games). All it is doing is keeping the gossip columnists (Kent & Rothfield) employed. The sooner we all tune them out, the sooner we have a chance of getting some half decent journalism.

2 Likes

While I agree with your sentiment on the Telegraph, I will give a wrap to one of their sports journalists.

Fatima Kdouh is a breath of fresh air at the stale Telegraph. She has a fresh take on issues, and her journalism is not only well researched but lacks the bias you find from the ‘traditional’ Telegraph Journos. On top of all that, I find her work enjoyable and informative to read.

The Telegraph can go a long way if they shuffle out the cranky old guard and gave some exposure to sports journalists like Fatima.

I personally think she is too good for the place to be honest.

1 Like

Not too sure what will happen with our stadium development after change of govt, but whatever does happen - new stadium at showground site, new stadium at existing site, or just a makeover of existing facility two things should definitely be added:

• the corner toilet stall in western stand needs to be named (with appropriate signage) the “Paul Kent Memorial Dunny”
  • a bust of Rothfeld be installed in the urinal so we can all give it suitable treatment each time we visit
4 Likes

The only problem I have with this is it will make the queues longer & slower. We need several of each in each toilet block.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like