[2019] R1 Panthers v Eels - Game Day Thread

Telstra Premiership

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Parramatta Eels
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Sunday 17th March 2019 4:05pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 1:35pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN Penrith Panthers v Wentworthville Magpies 1:50pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_rain_cloud: Showers 24°C (70% Chance of Rain 10mm - 20mm :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: Triple M 104.9FM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Parramatta Eels 20 Tries Michael Jennings (2), Marata Niukore, Reed Mahoney
Goals Mitchell Moses (2/4)
Penrith Panthers 12 Tries Wayde Egan, James Tamou
Goals Nathan Cleary (2/2)

:rugby_football: Canterbury Cup NSW | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 22 Tries Tyrone Phillips (2), Mitchell Kenny, Frank Winterstein
Goals Jed Cartwright (3/4)
Wentworthville Magpies 12 Tries Bevan French, Josh Minhinnick
Goals Brad Keighran (2/2)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/press-conference-panthers-v-eels---round-1-2019/
PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW
:rugby_football: Panthers v Eels :rugby_football: Panthers v Magpies
:clock3: Sunday 17/3 4.00pm :clock3: Sunday 17/3 1:50pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Caleb Aekins
2. Josh Mansour 2. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
3. Dean Whare 3. Jed Cartwright
4. Waqa Blake 4. Tyrone Phillips
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 5. Brian Too
6. James Maloney 6. Reed Izzard
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Liam Coleman
8. James Tamou 8. Kaide Ellis (C)
9. Sione Katoa 9. Isaac Thompson
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. Paea Pua
11. Jack Hetherington 11. Matheson Johns
12. Isaah Yeo 12. Billy Burns
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Mitch Kenny
INTERCHANGE
14. Wayde Egan 14. Nick Lui-Toso
15. Tyrell Fuimaono 20. Sam Smith
16. Moses Leota 21. Brent Naden
17. Hame Sele 22. Ratu Tuisese
18. Jarome Luai
19. Tim Grant
20. Liam Martin
21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio

Match Officals

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW
Referees Ashley Klein Damien Briscoe
Chris Butler -
Sideline Officials Nick Beashel Adam Reid
Matt Noyen Martin Jones
Video Referees Steve Chiddy -
Ben Galea -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Ashley Klein 2009 (0/0) 100% (7/26) 27%
Chris Butler 2014 (0/0) 100% (2/4) 50%

well its been a long and hot summer and finally we are here and this team selected is really our best we can field…save for Kikau

we will get the usual excuses with dropped ball and either conditions and or conditioning but lets face it its game 1 and we should be ready for a tough rumble

Eels will want to send clear intent about their season and how they see themselves in the comp and we will have to respond in kind.

With all the people behind the scenes now at the elite level…its really what’s going on between the ears for these kids and recently we have had our distractions but its now showtime.

The plus for us its at home…but i believe we should have momentum from last year as this is essentially the team/squad who did so well with much adversity with Hook being sacked etc

weather is forecast for 29c with 70% chance of rain but both teams get the same weather

all games are important but we also need to send a signal we are contenders in 2019.

Maloney is key in this game for me and of course the move to the right side will be interesting to see how he and Nathan adjust.

Its also key for Ivan to get the team up for this …he needs to show what he has done with the squad.

Panthers by whatever it takes…if its 1 point or by 50 we will win, we have too good a squad.

Not the team I would of picked (the bench anyway), but then I’m not the coach…

Hopefully we fire up, hit the ground running and maintain intensity for most of the match.

Surprised if Grant doesn’t come onto the bench come game day.

For mine this game every year is a MUST WIN, purely because it’s parra :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The result will be determined by how much the team & club have been affected by the sex video scandal of the last few weeks.

If the team can focus & get their minds on the job, they should win. If they don’t, they’ll lose. Simple as that.

pretty much agree with this, for the starting 13 anyway. I’m not convinced that a 2nd D/H will be the best option. Prior to ‘sex-tape gate’, my thinking was that May as a utility on the bench was to be a better option, as we no longer have the Peachey x-factor, & may could fill in at D/H, as well as give us some attacking options. I know it’s likely to be hot, so maybe Katoa won’t be able to play 80’ & so Egan will play, but I’m thinking that Luai could be the game breaker we need, particularly as the eels boppers tire. Just imagine Luai in broken play running at Manna et al.

See you all Sunday!

Chairman’s lounge here I come…Wooo Hooo

From what I have found out, the club has done an excellent job of separating those involved with the incident an the rest of the squad. It’s been pretty much business as usual.

1 Like

… on paper we look the goods don’t we. Sex tape scandal aside,
have we the mettle and intent to play for 80mins instead of the
customary 40 ??? :thinking:

just on the game and after watching Newcastle v Sharks and Souths V Roosters and i know its only game 1 but there appears to be 2 levels in class already and Melbourne just keep on keeping on.

Souths and Roosters were falser bigger and more options in attack while Sharks and Knights…well to be kind they looked workmanlike

The rain and condition of the field will impact our game and game plan on Sunday but i am keen to see which level we are at .

Last year we have more nonsense going on at the club with of all things the coach…and he has an effect on everyone yet we got the job done…a sex tape involved 1 person and in my view should be easier to deal with than a coach on the ropes.

But that’s Cleary’s(the coach) job in making sure the boys do what they are paid to do and not focus on the noise.

Hope the rain does go away…that way we will get a great crowd…Penrith is not a great ground for spectators when its wet.

Still a bit of drizzle but the worst of the rain seems to have passed. The hill is empty but there’s a decent crowd up in the stands.

LATE MAIL - Hame Sele and Moses Leota to start, Jack Hetherington and RCG to the bench.

It’s good to be back but feeling a bit nervous about today.

Unfortunately something came up at home, and I’m forced to watch on the tele, rather than endure the rain in the hill :slightly_frowning_face:.

Some of my best memories are of standing on the hill in the rain - forget the years, but wins against the tigers and bulldogs come to mind.

I’m hoping for a great game and a panthers win. We should do it, but will we? In 100 odd minutes we will know.

Not good so far. Parra have more energy, more enthusiasm & their forwards are on top. Could be a long afternoon if things don’t change.

And Parra have the wind in the 2nd half.

not good?

seriously we look terrible

Parra have had all the ball and fatigue will hurt us unless we can turn it around

8/13 sets completed is not good enough

Edit: 8/14

its not even that…its the intensity and effort

we look a world away from being a contender in every area.

Hopefully Cleary can have some impact at halftime

What is with our backs dropping the ball?

I know it’s wet, but gee this has been hard to watch.

Hopefully we have a second half comeback, like last year.

Sele has a broken arm

… they could try holding onto the ball, but apart from kicking
not sure they’ll do much with it. This has been a very lacklustre
effort in front of the home crowd, which is ???

1 Like