[2019] R12 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Manly Sea Eagles
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 30th May 2019 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 5:50pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN Penrith Panthers v Blacktown Workers SAT 31/5 3pm
JFC Penrith Panthers v Manly Sea Eagles SAT 31/5 1pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :full_moon: Clear 9°C (0% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel Nine (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 15 Tries Dylan Edwards, Liam Martin
Goals James Maloney (3/3) FG James Maloney (1/1)
Manly Sea Eagles 12 Tries Manase Fainu, Cade Crust
Goals Reuben Garrick (2/2)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

MATCH REPLAY

MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles :rugby_football: Panthers v Blacktown Workers :rugby_football: Panthers v Sea Eagles
:clock3: Thursday 30/5 7.50pm :clock3: Saturday 1/5 3pm :clock3: Saturday 1/5 1pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Caleb Aekins :small_red_triangle: 1. Charlie Staines
2. Josh Mansour 2. Allan Fitzgibbon 2. Justin Jones
3. Isaah Yeo 3. Brayden Mcgrady 3. Jake Tago
4. Brent Naden 4. Matheson Johns 4. Glenn Mcgrady
5. Brian To’O 5. Stephen Crichton 5. Thomas Lofts
6. Jarome Luai 6. Daine Laurie 6. Matt Burton
7. James Maloney 7. Dean Blore 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Spencer Leniu 8. Brad Gaut
9. Sione Katoa 9. Reed Izzard 9. Ryan Pritchard
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. Kaide Ellis :small_red_triangle: 10. Lindsay Smith
11. Viliame Kikau :heavy_multiplication_x: 11. Hame Sele :small_red_triangle: 11. Alex Myles
12. Frank Winterstein 12. Billy Burns 12. Terrell May
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Liam Martin :small_red_triangle_down: 13. J’Maine Hopgood (C)
INTERCHANGE
14. Mitch Kenny 14. Meni Luke 14. Dylan Mcbain
15. Tyrell Fuimaono 15. Nick Lui-Toso 15. Jayden Tanner
16. Moses Leota 16. Sam Mckendry 16. Jack Quinn
17. Tim Grant 17. Jack Hetherington 17. John Trimboli
RESERVES
18. Hame Sele :small_red_triangle_down: 18. Adam Fearnley 18. Ratu Nanovo
19. Kaide Ellis :small_red_triangle_down:
20. Caleb Aekins :small_red_triangle_down:
21. Liam Martin :small_red_triangle:
COACHES
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Ben Cummins Keiren Irons Paul Eden
Peter Gough - -
Sideline Official Chris Sutton James Vella Lyndsay Packer
Phil Henderson Tim Hannon Ben McMurray
Video Referee Steve Chiddy - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Ben Cummins 2006 (0/1) 0% (15/44) 34%
Peter Gough 2016 (0/0) 100% (1/5) 20%

Note: Peter Gough first Panthers match for 2019 Season

no DWZ and the Manly side looks unrecognisable from he side which was winning 2 weeks ago.

Big Sam back on the bench in Reggie’s :ok_hand:

OK game day again! The wind seems to have dropped this morning, so hopefully good weather for the game.
Again, I find myself really not knowing what to expect tonight. Just hope the boys make a big effort like last week, but don’t expect the seagulls to be as bad as the eels, so we will need to be better.
Our side looks very different from what we would have been expecting at this point of the year, and our depth is looking very bare. Relying on NRL exemptions to field a team looks to be case of poor management after the 8 year plan.
How the hell did we get to this - all the talk of culture, pathways, academies etc were just words clearly.

See you at the game!

1 Like

As expected the late changes have been announced with the extended bench of Hame Sele, Kaide Ellis, Caleb Aekins & Liam Martin have been dropped from the first grade squad and will play in Canterbury Cup on Saturday.

I’ve got a feeling we will be at ‘our best’ tonight. I reckon Maloney will have a blinder, RCG will need to aim up against their front row and if he along with JFH (as usual) and Kikau do that we will be hard to stop through their middle. Their loss of Jake T is massive, he holds the middle for them.

Carn Panfers

This will be the key to winning this one, the forward will need to be switched on tonight. Having Tamou, Campbell-Gillard, Grant, Leota, smashing into the defensive line, and Kikau, Fisher-Harris and Yeo with some sneaky offloads, we can create a real headache for the Sea Eagles.

That has to be the game plan doesn’t it, our edges are back rowers, no need for fancy stuff just ram it up the middle. A few repeat sets at the very least and they will drop their bundle.

Another priority is ball security, Parra showed us what we have looked like all season, hold the ball = win the game!!!

The post game interview with Nathan Cleary was pretty telling on the game plan. Scrapping all the complicated game plans and strip it back to the basics. Keep the errors low, keep the ball in hand, make the opposition play it out of their own half and starve them on valuable possession in the our 20 metre zone.

Keep things simple and choke the opposition of opportunity. It might not make for exciting football, but it might just result in some wins.

this game is a simple game, its when they try to make it more complicated, its becomes complicated and that’s when errors etc happen.

Tonight will be all about field position and Maloney’s kicking game…i can assure everyone Hasler will have his mob up for this and the new faces in their team will want to make a name for themselves and impress whoever may be looking at them.

That is the risk…they will know us but we won’t know them.

What we have to be is not predictable and early kicks etc must be the name of the game but we will need to keep it tight as many of suggested.

Maloney and Luai can only unleash if the forwards give them the time to do so.

Will be freezing at the ground and could be very windy but ground surface should be ok.

Will be a tough contest tonight and will say a lot more about us then it does them after 80 minutes.

… fine, let Maloney kick, but let Luai run.
Preston mk 2, they won’t know what hit 'em. :sunglasses:

Viliame Kikau has been a late scratching from tonight’s match will an illness. Liam Martin will move into his position.

thats no bad thing in some ways…will make us go harder through the middle and save all of them looking for Kikau for the miracle try.

The good news - I have a feeling we will run up a fair score against them.

The bad - once again I can’t attend a stupid Thursday night game. This and the 6pm Friday game are the worst time slots in the draw. Why oh why does the NRL pander to television above the fans … oh I know, money talks, fans walk

Pretty impressed with what I’ve seen so far. Far fewer silly errors than we’ve made most games this season. Maloney looks like a completely different player without Cleary. And how good is Liam Martin?!

that was a game between 2 teams who are plainly average.

We played like a team coming 15th…Manly played like a team coming 16th

It was a very ugly win is about the kindest thing you could say

Played with enthusiasm…great effort from the younger players Kenny, Luai, Naden, Too and particularly Martin, combine that with the defensive performances of The Fish and Yeo things looking a bit brighter than they were 3 weeks ago. Lets go Panthers.

Just how good was Martin?

And Kenny played 80 mins with Katoa left on the bench.

Well done Panthers, not perfect but the future looks bright

2 Likes

Manly were poor - we were better but there is no chance of us competing for the 8 based on the last 2 weeks, sad part is, we won the last 2 weeks so it speaks volumes about this comp.

IC in the press conference “both teams were depleted by origin” ha ha haaaaa we lost an out of form NC but in return got a Maloney having a go. I inclined to say I would rather last nights combo in the halves throughout origin, see how that goes. Bringing NC back in between SOO games will just be a disruption.